All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-06-2008, 07:32 AM

mooneqs is on a distinguished road
Docx and xlsx files on 9300i ?

I can currently transfer .doc and .xls files freely between my PC (running Word 2000 and Excel 2000) and my 9300i using BT. I can open and use the documents on either platform.

I am considering changing to Word / Excel 2007 which use .docx and .xlsx formats as I am increasingly receiving documents in these formats from others which I am not able to open with my current set-up. Does anyone know if the the 9300i can convert and use these formats?

Regards,

Martin O'Neill

Old 27-06-2008, 10:20 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Martin,

I think that you're probably out-of-luck with regard to the the newer Office formats based on XML-encoding.

The Sheets application is only backwards compatible to Excel4 format without macros or conditional formatting. The Document application only seems to be at a pre-Office97 level (without macros, embedded objects, etc.).

I wonder, however, if the PICSEL viewer would be able to at least VIEW these formats, even if you would not be able to edit them on your 9300i. I tried looking for a specification of what files were handled on the S80 series version of their viewer, but so far have not been able to find anything.

I tried the demo version of PICSEL's viewer about a year ago--and was impressed with the slick interface and software speed...BUT was not convinced that it was a necessity for my 9300.

Here is a link to Nokia's 30-day trial version of the software:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4164022?url...cselViewer.sis

Let us know if you find any application that can handle these files.

Old 27-06-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks for that information. I think that I'll stick with Word / Excel 2000 which does everything I need from this sort of software. It would be easier to ask people to send docs in .doc or .xls format.

This creeping intrusion of new formats is software suppliers way of forcing people to upgrade unnecessarily. I have the same happening with ACAD drawings. I use IntelliCAD 2000 on my PC as I have found it to be the most reliable way of dimensioning and measuring from drawings. In most cases I now ask for paper copies of drawings rather than having to spend time sorting out some else's mess and if pressed I will reluctantly accept 2000 version drawings. Forget about asking me to accept 2006 versions.

By the way, rdcinhou, what is your first name? It seems strange conversing with an rdcinhou !

Regards,

Martin O'Neill

Old 27-06-2008, 12:58 PM

First name is "Randy". It gives me both a spot of trouble and of fun when I have traveled in the UK.

Dittos on coerced upgrades via mindless format evolution--I have been sent the newer formats, but don't see why they're needed as the files end up being larger than the previous versions.

I reloaded the PICSEL viewer demo from the Nokia website, but since it detects that I ran it previously it wants me to pay US$2.99 for another 30 day trial or US$15.99 for a license. I'm hestitant to sign up for anything as the program appears to want to send credit card information via SMS back to their servers. There appears to be an alternate GPRS setting, but with older programs who knows if the links are still active and being supported?

You mentioned working with .dwg's. As an engineer, I find the same trouble with formats--so we insist on .pdf's almost exclusively for everything now. I have BentleyView, but it is not always 100% faithful in its rendering of different AutoCAD versions--font files, shape files and pen table issues notwithstanding.

Old 27-06-2008, 08:10 PM

I went ahead and bought the full license for PICSEL.

I ran tests on different file types and found that it was able to handle most everything that I threw at it with one exception:

I had a large 44-page .pdf file which was partially scanned (bitmap) and partially computer generated. PICSEL viewer had a hard time handling it taking a very long time to load it and a very long interval between navigational steps. Small .pdf files were handled with ease.

End result--I set my file preferences to use the Adobe PDF Viewer for Symbian instead of PICSEL viewer for the standard file association.

[Martin--I don't have any of the newer format DOCX ane XLSX format files to try, so if you'd like to Private Message me a couple of small ones I try them out on the viewer.]

Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 PM

alpha_centaur is on a distinguished road
How can I view and edit .docx files on my 9500 with s80 on it ?

Old 18-08-2010, 10:07 AM

One possible solution, which I have not used, but have seen discussed elsewhere is to open the docx or xlsx files with Google Docs and then save them as an earlier version of MS Word or Excel for use on the 9300/9500.

Regards,

Martin O'Neill
Ads

Old 29-08-2010, 08:20 PM

ademir is on a distinguished road
@ Martin O'Neill

I tried to follow your suggestion:

I have a 9500 with FW 6.27

- The default browser is no good for google documents.
- Bolt 2.11 opens docx and xlsx files if they are already uploaded to google documents. However, it is useless if you want to upload or download a file. I have already placed a request with Bolt on the subject.
- Opera Mini opens mobile version of google documents. It does not have the upload or download options. You can open an xlsx file if it already exists in your google documents account and edit it, but cannot download. I have not been able to do the same with docx files. I could not open it at all, forget about editing.
However, if you switch mobile to desktop view, you see a warning. If you continue, you end up with only one line of google documents account in desktop view. This helps a lot since it contains the option to "upload". You can upload both xlsx and docx files.

To summarise:
* Upload docx or xlsx files in your 9500 via Opera Mini google docs.desktop option
* View them both with Bolt 2.1
* If your file is xlsx, you can open and edit it with Opera Mini google docs. mobile
* No chance to save as xls or doc file

Kind regards

a.demir

Old 30-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks ademir for the information. I have given up on trying to use dcox and xlsx files on my 9300i. Where I am sent such files I generally transfer them to my laptop for processing.

A recent development I have seen is a Docx viewer in java which runs on the 9300i from h2bytes . com

I have installed this on my 9300i and it allows reading of docx files on the device. There is no facility for editing or copying, but still, it may be useful in an emergency.

Regards,

Martin O'Neill