All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 16-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

What's with the keypad?

Steve, I used to me Nokia E61i keypad and I type with both hands. But in new E71 there's no space between buttons and the device itself is not so wide to use it with two hands. Is it much less comfortable for both hands operating or not?

Old 16-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7 View Post
More of the same boring screen resolution... Im tired of that! None evolution at all, phone after phone
They've made a few 352x416 devices like N80. I have E60 myself, which is like N80 without a camera - or so I thought when buying it. Too bad about not getting some of the Nseries software...

352x416 has been left alone for a while. They probably decided to standardize on 240x320 and 320x240 so that their own UI designers and 3rd party app/game developers would have an easier time. I can tell you that at 352x416 and 247.7 dpi (2.2" screen) some applications use too small fonts or images to be comfortable. Mostly I'm happy though, and for the sake of web browsing I'm very reluctant to move to a smaller resolution.

Top Nseries handsets have 2.8" screens right now. I think QVGA is getting pretty limiting and would expect Nokia to use some bigger resolution within half a year to a year. It'll be interesting if they decide to continue with 352x416 once more or go for something like 320x480 which scales much nicer from QVGA. iPhone also uses 320x480 (at 164.8 dpi, 3.5" screen) and I might get one just for browsing - would have to also carry a Nokia for several other things though.

Old 16-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

For that screen size I would expect 640x480 and nothing less. Still a rather nice hardware, despite the outdated resolution.

Old 16-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Steve's attending the launch event today, so he's not around, hence his normal replies on phone issues isn't as fast today. Rest assured when he's back I'm sure that he'll address them as best he can.

in the meantime, the screen resolution is always a strange one - I do remember feeling a bit depressed when the jump from 176x208 to QVGA didn;t give me more info on the screen, just nicer fonts thanks to more pixels - the pixel density may be bigger but the physical screen sie is still the limit IMO. I think when it comes the next jump will give more clarity in pictures and video, but not ness. in the contents displayed on the screen.

There's no word on firmware updates to the E90, or what could be included, so anything written wouuld be speculation. It would be nice, but then getting XXXX on YYYY device is always nice
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 16-06-2008, 02:36 PM
NiallS

If it gets BlackBerry Connect, I'm in... sounds like there's no agreement over this yet though :(
Ads

Old 16-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Unregistered

Question Primitive icons

Nokia clearly decided not to compete with Apple on the visual appeal of the GUI. These icons look like Windows 3.1 vintage designs (or Windows 2000, at the most).

Yes, interaction design is hard, but icon design is easy because you can plop any graphic into that slot of the UI. Furthermore it's cheap to, e.g., outsource icon design to a great Russian artist. Do you know if the screen offers limited color depth? It doesn't seem so from the appearance of photos, which seem to have at least 16-bit color depth and thus should allow for beautiful icons.

Old 16-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Well I'd began to think this would never get released, and just when I'd almost decided to get an iPhone, but sod that. It the E71 for me

(and I like the nice simple icons and theme)

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 16-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Unregistered

Question where to buy now?

Great review.

I see you posted it should be available now. Does anyone know where you can order one now in the US? Nokia's site states it is coming soon, and is not taking pre-orders.

Old 16-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

Colours?

Does anybody know what colours are would be available? I like my silver E51 with black keys. I not so sure about the silver/white keys....

Old 16-06-2008, 05:07 PM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
zomg 4cm macro! Is it automatic (like no need to select anything after opening the camera), or do you have to still go select macro mode when you're taking a picture from 4cm distance?

Old 16-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Unregistered

Voip functionality

Is the voip functionality the same as on E51?

Old 16-06-2008, 06:09 PM

Bobagent is on a distinguished road
I'm very tempted by the E71 but will E-Series ever have categories support??
This is why I currently use my M600i over n95.
Ok so there is no sync but at least on the device I can see things by category.

Old 16-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nokia clearly decided not to compete with Apple on the visual appeal of the GUI. These icons look like Windows 3.1 vintage designs (or Windows 2000, at the most).

Yes, interaction design is hard, but icon design is easy because you can plop any graphic into that slot of the UI. Furthermore it's cheap to, e.g., outsource icon design to a great Russian artist. Do you know if the screen offers limited color depth? It doesn't seem so from the appearance of photos, which seem to have at least 16-bit color depth and thus should allow for beautiful icons.
Perhaps it's worth more to them to have the icons recognizable for people coming from their S40 feature phones? The smartphone percentage out of total mobile phone market is still fairly small after all. Just a thought.

Worst would be to have fancy icons that don't convey any meaning and are thus hard to memorize. It's possible to strike a good balance/combination of course.

Old 16-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

Steve - it's FP2 so why no mention of the new calendar app or smooth screen transitions?

Old 16-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

"Nokia clearly decided not to compete with Apple on the visual appeal of the GUI. These icons look like Windows 3.1 vintage designs (or Windows 2000, at the most). "

Icons can be changed through custom themes. Personally I love the retro icons. Reminds me a lot of BeOS. If someone can back port the E71's default theme and release it as an SIS package, I will not hesitate to install it on my E51.