All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-04-2008, 09:58 AM

leoni1980 is on a distinguished road
Walkinghotspot and Ipod Touch - Anyone got these working?

I've bought an ipod Touch, mainly to use with the N95 and Walkinghotspot.

Unfortunately I just cannot get it working.

I've tried every variation of setting but each time get the error 'cannot join network [name]' with no explanation as to why.

I've even tried Joikuspot and got as far as a Joikuspot Homepage, though still had the cannot join network error.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong, or indeed if it's even possible to connect the two?

I'm on T-Mobile in the Uk and have no restrictions on my account. I've successfully connected to my EEE PC with Walkinghotspot before and recall being asked if I wanted to allow the connection (on the N95) before I could browse. This has not happened when trying to connect the Ipod.

Update:

I've just tried connecting to a different laptop and haven't been able to connect either. Again I get no connection request on my phone. I've tried reinstalling Walkinghotspot to no avail.

Can anyone help? Anyone with a success story?

Old 27-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Peter321 is on a distinguished road
I don't have a suggestion, but it works fine for me with N95 (v. 21.0.016) and iPod Touch (1.1.4)

Old 28-04-2008, 06:48 AM

that's very strange as i have an ipod with the same firmware. My nokia is unbranded too. Could you tell me your, settings - network provider etc. I'm on t-mobile in the uk. I've managed to get joikuspot working, but it's severely limited compared to walkinghotspot. I've even tried hard resets of both devices, still with no luck, and i'm absolutely positive it's not the network provides blocking me as i'm on web n walk max. Very frustrating!

Old 28-04-2008, 07:15 AM

I'm on the SONOFON network in Denmark (actually through an MVNO called BiBoB) but I guess that info won't help much.

You haven't by any chance any other equipment connected at the same time?

I believe the walkinghotspot trial only allows 1 connection.

Maybe that's the problem? - that you've connected previously with another device.

My first and so far only connection through walkinghotspot has been with my touch, and I too was asked the first time if I would allow it to connect.

I haven't tried connection any other devices through walkinghotshpot so I don't know if the limitation is there.

Joikuspot should work though, but I'be found it a bit flaky at times and it's also annoying having to go to the joikuspot homepage everytime you connect.

Also it currently doesn't support all protocals, so you can't use mail or youtube etc. - that's why I now prefer walkinghotspot - but I have no idea why you can't get it to work.

Have you enabled WEP security?

I have, and it works - but it may be better to try it without any security - just to rule out any problems with authentication.

Old 29-04-2008, 12:50 PM

I just can't understand it. Today I tried installing the software on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT phone and still it won't connect. I've managed to get it so the Ipod says it's connected to the network, but then when I open Safari I just get the error 'safari cannot connect to server'

Again I never get a prompt to allow the connection on Walkinghotspot: did you receive this message on your nokia when you connected for the first time?

Very frustrating

Old 29-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem on my N82 and walkinghotspot

Ipod touch connects but won't access the web, also tried connecting my E51 same result.

My Macbook works fine with it however.

Joikuspot, works fine for me though.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 29-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Smile SOLVED! Here's the problem....

I am successfully browsing the web on my Ipod Touch, relinquished of the limitations of Joikuspot.

Who needs an Iphone when you can have an Ipod touch AND a 5 megapixel multimedia phone with High Speed Internet?

Anyway.

The problem is not to do with our handsets, it's that Walkinghotspot register's the address of the FIRST device you pair with the application - in my case my Asus EEE pc, in your case a Macbook (RatKat).

Walkinghotspot in its current form only allows ONE registered wireless device with the software: I thought this meant that you could only use the internet with one device at a time, but no;

once paired there's no changing your mind and using a different laptop or wireless gadget as Wirelesshotspot will detect a different device address is being used and will not allow a connection to the internet no matter whose phone you try it with and how many times you hard reset your handset.

The solution is to contact support@walkinghotspot.com and notify them of your predicament . In my case they updated a few things and I can now connect flawlessly. Trust me, it's MUCH better than Joikuspot.

I don't actually need to use Walkinghotspot with my laptop as I already have a bluetooth internal mod, and even if I didn't you can get micro bluetooth dongles for pittance - it is with the Ipod Touch that I most wanted this to work as it has no bluetooth, and Joikuspot didn't allow me access to the Youtube player or my mail.

I am now a happy chappy.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Last edited by leoni1980; 29-04-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Old 30-04-2008, 07:25 AM

Pheonix SZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoni1980 View Post
I don't actually need to use Walkinghotspot with my laptop as I already have a bluetooth internal mod, and even if I didn't you can get micro bluetooth dongles for pittance - it is with the Ipod Touch that I most wanted this to work as it has no bluetooth, and Joikuspot didn't allow me access to the Youtube player or my mail.
I've seen Bluetooth dongles for iPods - but I'm just wondering how you'd pair devices, as I've not seen any pairing options in my iTouch apps.

Old 30-04-2008, 10:20 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoni1980 View Post
Who needs an Iphone when you can have an Ipod touch AND a 5 megapixel multimedia phone with High Speed Internet?
Or who needs an iPod touch when you have a 5 mega pixel multimedia phone with High Speed Interet?

But thanks for the info. I mistakenly tested Walking Hotspot on a "different" computer and so will need to get in touch with support to get it to register my laptop.

Old 30-04-2008, 11:04 AM

Glad to hear you cleared it up - it seems my suspicion wasn't far of - except the address of the device is aparantly stored on walkinghotspots servers and not on the phone - glad it worked though.

I'm still trying to figure out if this "trial" version will expire or if the only limitation is that "one device only" thing you've found.

I've tried writing to their support but never received a reply.

Old 30-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
Or who needs an iPod touch when you have a 5 mega pixel multimedia phone with High Speed Interet?

But thanks for the info. I mistakenly tested Walking Hotspot on a "different" computer and so will need to get in touch with support to get it to register my laptop.
I would'vd agreed until I got the touch - I just find browsing so enjoyable on it compared to the nokia, it's just so fluid and lovely! Of course I wouldn't touch an iPhone as I couldn't live without picture messaging, a 5 megapixel camera, fully functioning bluetooth and 3g, but for browsing on wikipedia, checking mail and watching youtube and BBC iplayer you can't beat the iPod.

To phoenix sz: you can buy dongles but they stick out a bit and don't look too great. Pairing is initiated by a button on the dongle itself and not the iPod. These dongles are purely for a2dp wireless audio streaming and will not allow DUN, HID or any other profile.

To peter 321: try speaking to support again, they responded to me within 24 hours. I believe the software will remain available as a restricted one-device lockdown version to the public but will be marketed as a full version to device manufacturers and network providers.

This software surpasses joikuspot in reliability, convenience and functionality - hopefully joiku will see this and we'll see a bit of competition!

Old 30-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
No success with Windows Mobile clients at all (using the just-downloaded version) so that I can use the v21 N95 as a HSDPA modem for my iPAQ 214 standalone PDA. Unfortunately, while both the N95 and the iPAQ 214 support BT 2.0 EDR, in practice, the throughput is around 72 kbytes/s meaning EDR is NOT used. As the local HSDPA network is capable of delivering about 200-250 kbyte/s to the same N95, the speed hit is considerable when you REALLY need the speed.

The HP iPAQ 210 just doesn’t stay connected – only for 4-5 secs and, then, just disconnects. The HTC s710 and the Dell Axim x51v: while they keep connected, the Symbian server doesn’t even notice it being connected – unlike with the 210, where it asks for the first time (but not later). (Wi-Fi p2p, on the other hand, works flawlessly between the HP iPAQ 210 and another PPC.)

Did anyone have any success with any WinMo clients?
Ads