All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 PM

BigCol is on a distinguished road
Nemesis problem

I want to debrand my nokia N95 8GB but I keep on having a problem. I have installed the drivers from the phone aswell as the nokia pc suite. Nemesis has also been installed. The problem is that when I use the Nemesis and come to scan for phone info, I get a message along the bottom saying "scan for product....error. I am using win xp but I have installed the software and my phone on a leptop with vista home premium and I get the same problem. Can anyone help??????

Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Check this thread for discussion and solution

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=71546

There does seem to be a problem with the latest PC suite drivers.

My suggestion is remove PC Suite .. install the version that came with your phone .. do the Nemesis change .. then you'll need the latest PC suite for the firmware update.

Good Luck!

Last edited by seki; 09-04-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 PM

baconroll is on a distinguished road
Hi this problem has been discussed in previous posts but the way round it that I found is to restore your sytem to an earlier date then you upgraded the NSU - this way NSS will work so you can change your product code to the Norway one like I did, then re-install NSU again in order to update then you'll have to restore again in order to change your code back to the Euro 1.

The reason NSS no longer works is because of the Nokia Software Updater new version.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=71546

There does seem to be a problem with the latest PC suite drivers.

My suggestion is remove PC Suite .. install the version that came with your phone .. do the Nemesis change .. then you'll need the latest PC suite for the firmware update.

Good Luck!
I was going to try that next tbh becuase the first thing it asks you to do when you instll the pc suite is to update the Nokia updater. I will give it a bash and post the results back in this forum.
Ads

Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 AM

GSi-R is on a distinguished road
Agree with Baconroll. Also, there are known issues with some versions of Vista too, but these recent issues are mainly down to using the latest version of PC Suite.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:59 AM

northmale is on a distinguished road
I had loads of problems with NSS with Vista and XP.

My solution was to update all software to the latest versions.

Run NSS with the phone NOT attached. Take the battery out of the phone for a few seconds, put it back it, connect cable THEN swith the phone back on. Vista and XP both then detected new hardware, installed the correct drivers and both NSS and NSU both worked.

It took me three solid days of trying but I finally got the Vodafone crapware off my phone.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSi-R View Post
Agree with Baconroll. Also, there are known issues with some versions of Vista too, but these recent issues are mainly down to using the latest version of PC Suite.
I uninstalled all the nokia stuff an nss and installed it again but when I got the pop up telling me that there was a new updater, I chose not to download it. As soon as I went into the nss and phone info, it picked my phone up right away. Everything went well until I went to use the nokia updater. It said I could not use the updater without first having upgrading it. I did so, the upgraded the firmware on my phone. It still had the o2 rubbish on, nothing had changed apart from the firmware. I tried all over again and sure enough, when I scan for my phone info, i got the scan for product.....error again. Is there anyway round using the nokia updater without having to update it?????? Any help on this is very much appreciated

Old 10-04-2008, 08:11 PM

Beer so you've changed the product code then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
I uninstalled all the nokia stuff an nss and installed it again but when I got the pop up telling me that there was a new updater, I chose not to download it. As soon as I went into the nss and phone info, it picked my phone up right away. Everything went well until I went to use the nokia updater. It said I could not use the updater without first having upgrading it. I did so, the upgraded the firmware on my phone. It still had the o2 rubbish on, nothing had changed apart from the firmware. I tried all over again and sure enough, when I scan for my phone info, i got the scan for product.....error again. Is there anyway round using the nokia updater without having to update it?????? Any help on this is very much appreciated
what did you change it to? bear in mind .. you're using 2 (two) pieces of software here at least .. check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9eRlddfH0 .. read the instructions .. probably the single biggest error people make is neglecting to check the writeable box ..
If Nemesis changes your product code then doing the firmware upgrade will result in NO O2 "rubbish" on your phone.
The latest version of the NSU is installed as part of the upgrade process.
I strongly advise a hard reset before you try doing the firmware upgrade.
This new method is safer but at least a reset will remove any weird settings you may have.
With ALL of this stuff use "PC SUITE mode".

Good Luck!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
what did you change it to? bear in mind .. you're using 2 (two) pieces of software here at least .. check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9eRlddfH0 .. read the instructions .. probably the single biggest error people make is neglecting to check the writeable box ..
If Nemesis changes your product code then doing the firmware upgrade will result in NO O2 "rubbish" on your phone.
The latest version of the NSU is installed as part of the upgrade process.
I strongly advise a hard reset before you try doing the firmware upgrade.
This new method is safer but at least a reset will remove any weird settings you may have.
With ALL of this stuff use "PC SUITE mode".

Good Luck!
How do I do a hard reset????? As I said when I first used the Nss it worked fine and picked my phone up but as soon as I opened the NSU up, it told me that i had to update the NSU before I could upgrade my phone. At this point the nsu told me to disconnect my phone from my pc which I did. When I conected it again, I was able tp update my phones firmware to v15.0.0.015, 11-12-07 but my phone still had the O2 fw on it. Could it be something to do with the latest NSU?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:07 PM

KJH is on a distinguished road
You USE NSS to change your product code to something that ISN'T an O2 product code - more likely a EURO1 code - THEN you update it with NSU, which will give you the latest version of the FW.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 AM

Beer Ok .. lets just make sure you

use 0549487 - EURO1 .. since thats an 8G code .. in Nemesis .. check that its been changed by re-attaching it and asking Nemesis to scan again.
IF it hasn't changed .. make sure the write box is enabled
--
hard reset is holding GREEN and 3 and * while turning on .. it is hard to do .. for a reason!
--
Finally there is a new version of PC Suite and in it NSU ..

Good Luck! again

Old 11-04-2008, 06:06 PM

mattg64 is on a distinguished road
Got mine working at last, in process of changing product code now.. If it's any help to anyone, uninstall the nokia cable drivers and then connect the phone to pc again. It will search for new hardware and use the software disk that came with phone to install new drivers. NSS and software updater now working together again : )

Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 PM

That didnt work matt64. I did upgrade my phone but I still have the crappy O2 stuff on it. I have followed everything that has been posted in here BUT still I have the o2 on my phone. Can anyone help

Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 PM

chrisa86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That didnt work matt64. I did upgrade my phone but I still have the crappy O2 stuff on it. I have followed everything that has been posted in here BUT still I have the o2 on my phone. Can anyone help
if your phone has an o2 product code and you have not changed this... and you update, you will still have o2 branded firmware.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM

Beer There is no doubt in my mind

Quote:
that you haven't changed the product code - if you had managed that then you would not get the "crappy O2 stuff" .. since the new version of the firmware for EURO1 does not contain it.

Hate to repeat this but - when you are in the Nemesis Service Suite - you MUST click the Enable box next to Product Code - change it to 0549487 .. then click the write button ..

Once you can confirm that the code has changed then you can do the update.