All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 AM

crewmeal is on a distinguished road
N95 8gb experiences of trying to upgrade

I thought I would share my experience of trying to upgrade to V20. Not an easy task if you have upgraded the latest software on NSU.

After repeated error messages on NSS, reboots with the phone and laptop still nothing. Having read it was possibly the cable drivers software at fault (thanks Chrisa86) I went into add/remove and deleted the cable drivers associated with PC suite and connected the phone to the laptop and it worked as NSS recognised my Arabic firmware. However Windows cut in to say it had found new hardware which was in the form of cable drivers so I installed them without any problem.

I changed the firmware code to the Euro1 code and NSU said there was no new upgrade, so I changed the code to the Norwegian one and went ahead. However half way through the firmware download (with a white phone screen) a warning message came up saying remove charger and battery, then re-insert, switch on and retry. Thinking that was it, I would have a new brick ,the phone came back to life with the old firmware. I retried re-installing but got the same battery message, so I have decided against any further upgrades until Euro1 or a natural upgrade from NSU in case of any damage. Here in Jordan warranties are not the same as back in the UK.

Anyone else with similar problems? All new ideas gratefully accepted!!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 AM

baconroll is on a distinguished road
sorry to hear that - after problems with NSU and NSS myself I actually restored my computer to an earlier time frame and managed to change my code to the Norway one, update to fw 20 using NSU with no problems then changed the code back to Euro 1. All working fine for me. The auto rotate is great and in my opinion much smoother than rotateme although only does it one way.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 AM

adrian87camaro is on a distinguished road
when will it be in the states?

how long do you think before this updated firmware will be available in the US. I can wait for it to come out I don't feel much like going through the process of changing the product code being that i am not that computer savvy.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:51 PM

scott.herring is on a distinguished road
I have just managed to update my firmware, however the rotate function does not seem to be working!?! I would also like to remove the text under the icons on the main menu if possible??

Please advise,

Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM

bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewmeal View Post
I thought I would share my experience of trying to upgrade to V20. Not an easy task if you have upgraded the latest software on NSU.

After repeated error messages on NSS, reboots with the phone and laptop still nothing. Having read it was possibly the cable drivers software at fault (thanks Chrisa86) I went into add/remove and deleted the cable drivers associated with PC suite and connected the phone to the laptop and it worked as NSS recognised my Arabic firmware. However Windows cut in to say it had found new hardware which was in the form of cable drivers so I installed them without any problem.

I changed the firmware code to the Euro1 code and NSU said there was no new upgrade, so I changed the code to the Norwegian one and went ahead. However half way through the firmware download (with a white phone screen) a warning message came up saying remove charger and battery, then re-insert, switch on and retry. Thinking that was it, I would have a new brick ,the phone came back to life with the old firmware. I retried re-installing but got the same battery message, so I have decided against any further upgrades until Euro1 or a natural upgrade from NSU in case of any damage. Here in Jordan warranties are not the same as back in the UK.

Anyone else with similar problems? All new ideas gratefully accepted!!

Mine also stopped half way through with the message remove the lead, remove the battery, wait a minute, insert battery, insert lead, switch phone on. I did as requested and fortunately the update carried on and finished succesfully to my great relief.
Ads