All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM

norfi1983 is on a distinguished road
Question This is really odd!!!!

Hello all,

I have numerous contacts saved and they all seem to function perfectly apart from one.

Everytime this particular contact calls me only his number shows on the screen, as if the number is not assigned to a name in the phone book, however the number is saved in the phonebook as i have called it numerous times.

It was this name and number and that did exactly the same on my N73.
Its really really odd. I have tried everything from deleting the number to re-adding it in various different ways, ie, only entering first name, or surname, etc etc.....
I have even tried using +44 etc etc infront of the number.

None of these have worked.

I can live with the problem, its just a little annoying. Has anyone else experienced this or know how i could solve it. When i had my N73 i thought it was strange but for it to happen on my N95 8GB its really wierd. Oh well.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
It's a bug in S60 which they're not bothering to fix just like they're not bothering to give us better PIM apps in general. Instead they're wasting effort and resources on a touch-screen version, despite there being perfectly good (for those who want them) touch-screen UIs in the form of WM and UIQ.
</rant>

Sorry, what was your question? Oh, yes, a bug... sorry, can't remember the details but search on these forums or somebody will give you the details. Something to do with duplicate entries, iirc.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfi1983 View Post
Hello all,

I have numerous contacts saved and they all seem to function perfectly apart from one.

Everytime this particular contact calls me only his number shows on the screen, as if the number is not assigned to a name in the phone book, however the number is saved in the phonebook as i have called it numerous times.

It was this name and number and that did exactly the same on my N73.
Its really really odd. I have tried everything from deleting the number to re-adding it in various different ways, ie, only entering first name, or surname, etc etc.....
I have even tried using +44 etc etc infront of the number.

None of these have worked.

I can live with the problem, its just a little annoying. Has anyone else experienced this or know how i could solve it. When i had my N73 i thought it was strange but for it to happen on my N95 8GB its really wierd. Oh well.
look at the last 4 digits of his number, then go through all the numbers in your contacts, you'll find his number in there twice or more.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:56 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
I think this can happen if you have duplicates but persist even when you remove one. I had my Dad's mobile number under his name and also my parents home but when I removed the latter the problem persisted. In the end I deleted it altogether and re-added it and that was fine!

Weird
Ads

Old 02-04-2008, 06:15 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Shirts View Post
I think this can happen if you have duplicates but persist even when you remove one. I had my Dad's mobile number under his name and also my parents home but when I removed the latter the problem persisted. In the end I deleted it altogether and re-added it and that was fine!

Weird
i did it 2 days ago with a contact, and soon as i deleted the second entry, it worked normal.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
this problem occurrs when you have duplicate entries in your phone book or sim card. somewhere, on sim or phone memory, you have 2 contacts with this same number. clean up your contacts and sim card and this will not happen.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:21 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
I think this is a duplicate contact issue

Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
This happens when you have a duplicate entry

Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
yes as already said, you must clean up your sim and phone book, and i promise this will go away. somewhere you have the same number listed twice. it happens when copying numbers to sim cards over and over again from switching phones a lot over time.