All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
Belting 3650 Review

You may think it looks like a toy, I may think it looks like a toy, but inside, it's a powerhouse! This review is clearly written by someone who has been blow away by the phone! Maybe it shows just how far behind the rest of us the US is, but reading such positive comments from a place where anything without a Microsoft logo is disregarded as pointless (or 'bugfart' as they like to say)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info World
We pored over the 3650’s technical documentation for weeks before we received the phone, which is a prototype distributed to developers. The more we read, the more we thought, “This isn’t a phone.” Quite right; voice calls are almost tangential to its design, although with a speakerphone, voice dialing, and a backlit keypad, it does voice as well as any mobile phone we’ve used. The 3650 is clearly a networked pocket computer, a portable mesh node, a reference platform for developers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info World
We had only enough time to scratch the surface of Nokia’s Series 60 operating environment and programming interfaces. For this phone, custom development is where the action is. The built-in PIM applications are quite good for a phone and make the best possible use of the 176-by-208 color display. But Nokia has exposed and documented the phone’s networking and graphical features to developers in great detail, and developers can grab the tools and documentation online. The efficient Java run-time encourages the kind of small-scale casual and in-house development that leads to innovation, while the C++ tools hit the performance targets required by commercial software.
Shame it's so butt ugly (IMHO).

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 02-02-2003, 06:59 PM

jplacson is on a distinguished road
It's only a 7650 w/ a memory slot and a butt ugly keypad... what's so new about it?!?!?!?!

Old 02-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
It's tri-band, so works in the US.

(7650 is 800/1800 only, 3650 adds 1900)
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 02-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplacson
It's only a 7650 w/ a memory slot and a butt ugly keypad... what's so new about it?!?!?!?!
Mobile technology in America is still so backward that they only make phone calls on the phones. 7650 as a first smartphone is a huge step forward. Now imagine we went from phones without SMS to devices like the 7650 or the 3650 we'd be raving about it too.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.
Ads

Old 03-02-2003, 01:26 AM

Tenchi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Shame it's so butt ugly (IMHO).
Amen to that...

Hopefully one of the other Series 60 OS partners might be able to whip up a phone a bit more pleasant to the eye. I love my 7650 but I need something definitely that has some kind of memory slot now. Too many goods apps for the phone !