All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #46  
Old 30-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Zaarch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
IMAP Disconnect

Thank Steve for this step by step setup guide.

Although, the push feature now is working great. I seem to be having an issue (also bought up earlier by another user on the comments page).

It seems after, mail client checks for email and notifies me of any new email, it does not drop the network connection. And my phone stays connected to the network, which sort of negates the "15 minute" retrieval interval, since now the phone is always connected until I disconnect and make it drop the connection manually.

Any thoughts, ideas or recommendation?

Using an N82 on a cellular network (EDGE).

  #47  
Old 30-05-2009, 09:48 PM
davidmaxwaterma davidmaxwaterma is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 338
davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaarch View Post
Thank Steve for this step by step setup guide.

Although, the push feature now is working great. I seem to be having an issue (also bought up earlier by another user on the comments page).

It seems after, mail client checks for email and notifies me of any new email, it does not drop the network connection. And my phone stays connected to the network, which sort of negates the "15 minute" retrieval interval, since now the phone is always connected until I disconnect and make it drop the connection manually.

Any thoughts, ideas or recommendation?

Using an N82 on a cellular network (EDGE).
What you describe sounds like the correct behaviour. Try using pop instead of imap.

Max.
Ads

  #48  
Old 31-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Zaarch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks Max.

So, if I use IMAP, the phone will always be on the Cellular EDGE network, even though there may not be any data packets being downloaded?But won't that will eat away the batter life.

I rather stick to IMAP rather than POP since, its keeps all mails synchronised.

Any ways around this little conundrum ?

Thanks again.

  #49  
Old 31-05-2009, 05:12 AM
davidmaxwaterma davidmaxwaterma is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 338
davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaarch View Post
Thanks Max.

So, if I use IMAP, the phone will always be on the Cellular EDGE network, even though there may not be any data packets being downloaded?But won't that will eat away the batter life.
Well, it's more about the IMAP IDLE feature which not all IMAP servers have, IINM. I don't think there's any way to avoid using it. It's normally considered a good thing.

I'm not 100% sure, but I wouldn't assume that keeping a connection necesarily decreases battery life significantly, since it doesn't involve transmitting anything. It's the 15 minute checks that cause traffic and use up battery. You might want to make that happen less often and risk the connection breaking. I would use 30 minutes, since IINM most IDLE connections timeout at 30 mins.

I guess maintaining a connection might stop the radio from entering poer-save or something, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
I rather stick to IMAP rather than POP since, its keeps all mails synchronised.

Any ways around this little conundrum ?

Thanks again.
Are you seeing a big difference in battery life when you stay connected?

  #50  
Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 AM
Zaarch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Again, thanks Max.

Well, I will change the IMAP Polling to 15 minutes and use it for a few days and see what is it's impact on the battery life.

Now a side note, one user suggested that changing the polling for POP to 1 minute, makes it almost as good as push.

I have a second email account (yahoo) POP3/SMTP. Now using the nokia mail client, the lowest allowed polling time for POP3/SMTP is 30 minutes. How does one go about decreasing this ? Or will i have to switch from the nokia mail client to something like profimail?

  #51  
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 AM
davidmaxwaterma davidmaxwaterma is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 338
davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaarch View Post
Again, thanks Max.

Well, I will change the IMAP Polling to 15 minutes and use it for a few days and see what is it's impact on the battery life.
I would try 30 minutes...or even longer if you can stand it.

Quote:

Now a side note, one user suggested that changing the polling for POP to 1 minute, makes it almost as good as push.
Sure, though (IMO) it is the 'polling' that uses your battery, so doing it more often means you will use more of your battery - you have to strike a balance.

IMAP IDLE has the advantage (over POP) since it can maintain a connection (for 30 minutes) without your phone having to actively do a poll....with the connection still active, the server can contact your phone when there's a new message, instead of your phone needing to poll.

Of course, your phone might lose the connection for many reasons (esp when using a cell data connection and you're moving around, but also dhcp can cause a disconnection if it decides to change your IP address), in which case you won't get notification of a new message until the next polling is done.

Quote:
I have a second email account (yahoo) POP3/SMTP. Now using the nokia mail client, the lowest allowed polling time for POP3/SMTP is 30 minutes. How does one go about decreasing this ? Or will i have to switch from the nokia mail client to something like profimail?
I'm afraid I've not much experience POP. I can only assume that 30 is the minimum with the Nokia client and you'll need to use another one if you want it more frequent. However, you might want to try the new Nokia Messaging client, which I think will work better for you - though YMMV....that's what I would try anyway.

Max.

  #52  
Old 15-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs down Useless post

"push" gmail post gives me explanation why I don't need push. Apparently author never used this technology, do not name your article just so you get 1st in google as you're def annoying people!

  #53  
Old 26-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hello,
Today i configured my Nokia N95 (not N95 8 GB), but not able receive all the mails, i have received only few mails. Is there any way to use this facility free.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
free, gmail, push

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[W960i] Push mail with gmail and Vodafone yupin Sony Ericsson W950 and W960i 3 10-03-2008 03:18 PM
emoze debuts push GMail support slitchfield Links of Interest 7 04-03-2008 02:22 PM
easiest way to get push gmail on m600i davvyk Sony Ericsson M600i 0 13-09-2006 06:27 PM
Vodafone Chosoes Visto For It's Push Email Service. Ewan Links of Interest 0 21-04-2005 12:34 PM
Push To Talk comes to series 60 Delta737 Series 60 4 21-04-2005 05:40 AM



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:31 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy