All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 PM

SToP_GAP is on a distinguished road
Question Delete built-in S60 web browser bookmarks

I hope someone can help with an issue that has really bugging me now for quite a long time...

I have an N95 and as with previous phones, the bookmarks list in the web browser includes a number of built in entries eg. "Download Themes", ".. Graphics", ".. Apps." and so on, 6 in total.

These are all completely useless to me, they only contain a link to MOSH which I have installed on my phone anyway and use from it's own icon. They get in the way of actual bookmarks that I use and make scrolling through the list unhelpful. In light of not being able to choose where a new bookmark gets added, they also make the process of then moving a new entry from the root to existing folders even more arduous.

I would love to just get rid of them; the browser of course has locked them from deletion via the bookmarks menu. I've read threads before with people saying "just get used to it", "it's only x bookmarks", "get Opera" and so on... I don't want to get used to it or use Opera, I just want full and reasonable functionality from the software (this is after all a design issue in the software, nothing to do with the phone's capabilities).

Does anyone know of any way to remove or even just move these bookmarks to a more compact single sub folder? I presume that user bookmarks are stored in some way on the C: drive, although I cannot find the relevant file to have a go at editing it. It's possible there is a default list in the Z: drive in which case it will not be accessible to edit it (although perhaps some form of override can be placed in the C: based file to supercede Z: ROM-based entries?).

If anyone has any ideas please share them - I'm not the first person to ask this question and I doubt I'll be the last. Can I kindly request that if your answer is along the lines of "get used to it" or "use Opera" that you don't post a reply here.

Cheers.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM

zumstin is on a distinguished road
Hello,

When you Sync your phone to your computer, which I imagine you do, it Syncs your phone's bookmarks with Windows IE (or Firefox). If you look in your "Bookmark" tab of Windows IE (or Firefox), you will see a folder called "Mobile Bookmarks". Go into there and edit as much as you like. When you Sync again, it should update them on your mobile.

-Cheers

*Edit* Ok I use Mozilla Firefox and I know it works like this on there. I'm not sure about IE because I don't use it.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 PM

bsimpson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumstin View Post
*Edit* Ok I use Mozilla Firefox and I know it works like this on there. I'm not sure about IE because I don't use it.
No, doesn't work on IE unfortunately.

I would also like to eliminate these folders, so if anyone can shed any light on the matter.......

Barrie

Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM

zumstin is on a distinguished road
Ok I did some looking around and here is what I came up with.

First bring up the Nokia PC Suite. Second, Click on Syncronize which should bring up the Sync page. Now click on "Settings". At the top there are tabs, click on Bookmarks. There should be a drop-down menu that will let you select Mozilla (if installed) or Internet Explorer. Make sure it is set to Internet Explorer. Now your mobile bookmarks should show up in IE after you do a phone sync. Edit from there and re-sync.

Let me know if this worked. Note: I have Nokia PC Suite 6.85.14.1

-Zumstin

Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM

bsimpson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumstin View Post
Ok I did some looking around and here is what I came up with.

First bring up the Nokia PC Suite. Second, Click on Syncronize which should bring up the Sync page. Now click on "Settings". At the top there are tabs, click on Bookmarks. There should be a drop-down menu that will let you select Mozilla (if installed) or Internet Explorer. Make sure it is set to Internet Explorer. Now your mobile bookmarks should show up in IE after you do a phone sync. Edit from there and re-sync.

Let me know if this worked. Note: I have Nokia PC Suite 6.85.14.1

-Zumstin
Nope, it got rid of them in favorites in IE and they did not come back, but are still on the phone.

Barrie

Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 PM

mstruve is on a distinguished road
Has anyone found a solution to this?

Not only can I not get rid of the default bookmark folders in the phone's browser, but since I deleted the from the 'Mobile Bookmarks' folder in firefox and synced again with Firefox 3 using PC Suite sync, I now have no custom bookmarks in the phone's browser at all.

Any suggestions much appreciated. And I'd rather not use Opera Mini.
Ads

Old 19-07-2008, 10:57 AM

D3T3 is on a distinguished road
Same with Firefox BTW

I tried this with Firefox - same story - can delete them in Firefox but PC Suite doesn't delete them from phone. Using Firefox 3.0. PC Suite 7.0 Nokia N82 on v20.0 etc so all latest stuff. Pretty cheap shot by Nokia to keep their download pages in your face. Even if they just combined them into one folder of Downloads with the 6 links in that would be better. I tried this via Firefox but while I could move the links to a new folder (you can do this via PC or Phone) you still then can't delete the six empty folders - pretty silly really.