All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 AM

AdultFilmLegend is on a distinguished road
Before I buy: question about languages

I have an E61 that I like a lot. The reason I don't say "love" is because I can't read e-mails and SMS that come into the phone in different Asian languages. I am thinking to upgrade to an E90 but I need to clarify this issue.

The phone is English/Spanish but I get a lot of emails/SMS that have Japanese, Korean, or Chinese characters and some English. But these messages are totally unreadable. I do not need to input text in any language except English....it would be nice but I don't need it.

So....my question to E90 users is whether or not you can see these Asian characters legibly on your phone? I am in Singapore and there is a model here that can input Chinese text and I know this phone can accept Chinese messages, but can it accept Japanese and Korean?

I went to a Nokia shop and asked them but they looked at me like I was crazy. It seems to me like this would be a common issue in Asia, but also in the rest of the world people might get a message with some Asian languages inside. Maybe you can't read the characters but you can read the English (or Spanish, or Russian, etc.) around the Asian characters. You don't want the whole message to be garbled just because a few Asian characters are inside the message....

I have asked the Nokia shop in the past about upgrading or changing my firmware on the E61 so that I can read Japanese, etc. but they claim it is not possible. I don't have a lot of confidence in their answer, though, as they seem to not be 100% sure.

Anyway, I thought maybe Nokia might have fixed this issue in between the releases of the E61 and the E90 and I am just trying to confirm.

Thank you for any advice or help you can offer on this issue.
Ads

Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
E90 have the same limitation as E61 - both have the same OS inside.