All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-02-2008, 11:35 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I think "ruthless" is the wrong word, no one is being forced to buy any of these phones.

If you don't think a model is good enough, vote with your wallet and wait for the next one or buy a rival's. That's the language that companies really take notice of, and it's the language they will respond to.
Thats the problem, Nokia are so far ahead of the game they know that they can keep doing this because no1 else can compete.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thats the problem, Nokia are so far ahead of the game they know that they can keep doing this because no1 else can compete.
They're ahead because people buy their phones. If you don't like Nokia phones, don't buy them!

There are plenty of great non-Nokia models out there, including non-Nokia S60 smartphones. Try one of those instead.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 11-02-2008, 11:54 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
swirly

I am pleased to see the swirly key still present on the N96 (as well as the N78).

From a developer's perspective, I think it's a mistake to move it since it's one of the only identifying marks for S60 (and so users can easily tell if our s/w will run on it).

Of course, an 'S60' logo on the phone would be better...but that might put people off Series 40 phones, which have a bigger market (I guess).
Ads

Old 11-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

May i seriously ask nokia...Wads the point of buying a ferrari when the fuel tank is a 1.5L coke bottle? The N96 has all the cool features but no battery life...Nokia is advertising it as a phone to watch videos on? Lol watch long videos like lord of the rings, half way through the movie and your phone shuts down J.O.K.E. Oh before i forgot, wheres the DAM XENON FLASH?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

alas!

I can't underestand nokia
can't underestand why they equip the new N78 with a 1200mah battery but decide to introduce the long awaited high-end expensive N96 with the same week 950mah battery despite it's larger display and more equipments and consumption it has? I already have a N95 and must say it's battry life is a real problem.
If it was possible for them to accommodate a 1200mah battry into a small N78 they certainly could accommodate it in a large n96 too. I think the only reason is that they didn't want to do that.
perhaps we alvays must suffer some issue in a nokia phone.
I feel sorry for them

Old 11-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Arcade is on a distinguished road
Has anyone noticed that in the images, the phone rests on a sort of side stand located around the LED's (and probably another stand at the lower end )
COOL !!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:18 PM

Nick17 is on a distinguished road
Is it me, or, is the front camera missing..?

No video-conferencing on this device
or should we pack an extra mirror..
(and battery..)?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Nick17, I think the front camera is that white dot in the top right hand corner.

On the subject of battery life, I have to agree, it's silly to skimp on one of the most fundamental specifications of all, especially in a flagship model. It doesn't make any sense.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
They're ahead because people buy their phones. If you don't like Nokia phones, don't buy them!

There are plenty of great non-Nokia models out there, including non-Nokia S60 smartphones. Try one of those instead.
I think I will stick with Nokia thanks, im not trying to take a swipe but they keep releasing phones that nearly tick all the boxes but just fail in 1 or 2 areas when we know that the hardware is proven and capable of this!!

1 more puzzling thing about this design, does it really need 2 sets of the media player keys????

Old 11-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Orophin Anwarunya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
N96 Product Manager
34 minutes ago

dragon-tmd

What is the reason for including only a 950 mAh battery?

Answer: Instead of putting in a bigger battery than the N95, we optimized power usage of key functions, in particular those related to multimedia and entertainment. For example, video playback time is up to 5 hours and music playback time is up to 14 hours, which we achieved through hardware accelerators and other optimizations.
extracted from the current live Q&A session in the Nokia MWC forum

|\__/|
( ^_^)

Old 11-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Orophin, thanks for that!

I'm not convinced by Nokia's answer though, why didn't they optimise power usage AND include a battery over 1000mah?

Old 11-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Doug

Exclamation What about E71 release?

Man, what about the E71 leak we saw in January? I thought that was going to be released at the MWC!

My comment to this new N96. It's f*** ugly! I dont care what's in it! Even if it played Halo 3 and carried 300 hours worth of HD movies! I'd never buy it simply because it looks like a huge brick piece of sh**!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Well I like the look, but not the dimensions. Its bigger still than the N95, although very slightly slimmer.

Im more interested in the business range, the E series. Is there going to be anymore news, or is that it for the MWC releases?

Old 11-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

Camera specs are slightly different from N95

The camera specs on N96 are slightly different 2.8/5.2 as opposed to 2.8/5.6 on the N95.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:37 PM

clive1 is on a distinguished road
typical nokia, ruin a good phone by using a rubbish battery