All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-02-2008, 05:29 AM

Aurial is on a distinguished road
Angry T-Mobile Connection Problems

Is anyone else having problems with T-Mobile at the moment? For a while now when I'm in certain areas of London my phone will not make or receive calls. If I try and call someone after a short pause I get a "Connection Error" message. At some point during the day I will then get a load of text messages through that have been sent to me ages before. I'm also not able to establish a connection to the internet. I phoned T-Mobile and they took me through a load of steps to try and get it to work again but couldn't. She said I'd have to take it into a shop so we could try the SIM card in another phone to establish whether it was the phone or the card which was the problem. A colleague at work who is also with them mentioned to me today that he's having the exact same problem, and another said she thought her boyfriend might also have it. T-Mobile said the network didn't have any problems in my area when I spoke to them. I drove about 2 miles down the road to Camberwell earlier and it was working fine. Now I'm back at work its useless again, and it's the same case when I'm at home about 5 miles away. I don't know where my colleague lives but think its outer London. Is anyone else having any problems?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 AM

hongkongphooey6 is on a distinguished road
I've had exactly the same problems and I work for them based at the Merthyr office. I've checked the HLR that I am connected to and it appears to be a odd one - valid etc., but it may be that some lines are routing through one specific connection that is not working well. I've raised an incident internally as others are experiencing same problem and are on teh same HLR. Will advise on outcome when I am back in the office on Monday

Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks very much. I always find T-Mobile staff to be very helpful and personally think the service is great when you call up. Having said that I've just had the strangest conversation with someone there about this:

I did a little experimenting this morning after finding out my colleague was having the same problems. I figured that the places where my phone has actually worked recently have quite poor signal in comparison to the places where it has worked. So I went into the settings and switched Dual Mode to GSM only and low and behold it works perfectly ever time. I got my colleague to so the same with the same result.

So I phoned T-Mobile today and the bloke basically said that although my phone is showing full signal the actual 3G signal may be very poor and when it tries to connect it can't because of the lack of signal. It then doesn't attempt to connect via GSM even though its in Dual Mode for some reason. His answer to solve this problem is simply to leave my phone on GSM mode all the time???!!!

That's pants to put it mildly! As far as I'm concerned I signed up to T-Mobile on a 3G contract with W'n'W and if I have to now leave my phone on GSM only then I'm not receiving the service I signed up for? If this is the case and that is going to be their solution what is the scope for getting out of my contract now?

I don't particularly want to leave because up until now they've been great and as it is I should be up for an upgrade in November which I figure should be about the right time for the Nokia Touch phone. If I go to another network now I'm looking at another 12 months on an expensive contract or 18 on a better one but with the N95 8GB. I don't really want another 12-18 months with effectively the same phone.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:56 PM

All through today I have had zero issues with any out/in-bound calls/txts etc. I have not changed to GSM - very odd. I know that there are develoments on our 3G network (we recently announced RAN sharing with 3 mobile - maybe it is more of a cost-cutting exercise and we - the customers - are suffering). If there are 3G issues then I will dig on Monday - as an employee you wud think we would find out first via the internal rumour mill. Agree that if you hve paid for 3G and cannot use it that you should be entitled to refund/cancellation provided service has been v.bad. Keep you posted on what I find

Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Navs is on a distinguished road
Yep had exactly the same problem for over a month. It can even cut out mid call too with the "connection error" message popping up. I did hear about the switch from dual to GMS and it does work every time but then noone should have to stick to GSM when their on a WnW £7.50 a month package, if i want slow browsing id get a iPhone. So yes it would be nice for someone to clarify what our rights are where the T's & C's are concerned. Each time i phone T-Mobile i always get "ah we are experiencing 3G problems in that area at the moment" this was 3 months ago and still is the case.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:01 AM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
There seems to be all sorts of problems with 3G and W'n'W linked issues at the moment.
CS don't really know what is happening.
My best guess is that they have been tinkering with data monitoring on the 3G layer and from time to time they cock it up!
Ask questions about this a nd no-one wants to give a straight answer as they probably have amended T&Cs in mind and then you got contract liability problems which have the knock-on customer relations issues!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:59 PM

So are you saying there's scope there for getting out of your contract if this isn't sorted? I have been having issues connecting to the internet for a couple of months now from time to time but was told they were doing work in my area. The 'Connection Error' problem has only started fairly recently. Still it's annoying having to have my phone on GSM mode all the time, and even more annoying that this was the remedy supplied by T-Mobile themselves.

I was against changing network becasue I'd just be going to Voda instead and getting the N95 8GB, which meant being stuck with the exact same phone (for all intents and purposes) for another year at least. But seeing as the N96 doesn't look that appealing and there's no talk to the Touch UI it might actually be an option. And of course I'd actually have a 3G phone that can use 3G.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:15 PM

Ok - it appears that there have been '3G congestion issues' in the South Wales and South West areas of UK - and that is all I have been able to get out of the IT guys @ TMUK. I'm not happy with this and I still have an outstanding incident logged that I have escalated. Hopefully someone will give it up!

As for contract - your best and only bet is to contact Customer Service and request some refund on your WNW line rental for the period that you have been without/had limited service. They can check your data usage and verify that you've had limited traffic. As to what they will give you depends on how hard you push. There are official notes on the systems that agents use to confirm the problems. They will not release you from the contract because - in switching to GSM - the issue is not there so the MRC you are paying 'outside WNW' is still ok.

There is a big push on WNW sales at the moment - a mild threat to remove it may generate a decent enough refund to cover the outlay - and hopefully the problem has gone away (well, as far a it can given the significant increase in data usage across all telcos)

Good luck

Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurial View Post
So are you saying there's scope there for getting out of your contract if this isn't sorted? I have been having issues connecting to the internet for a couple of months now from time to time but was told they were doing work in my area. The 'Connection Error' problem has only started fairly recently. Still it's annoying having to have my phone on GSM mode all the time, and even more annoying that this was the remedy supplied by T-Mobile themselves.

I was against changing network becasue I'd just be going to Voda instead and getting the N95 8GB, which meant being stuck with the exact same phone (for all intents and purposes) for another year at least. But seeing as the N96 doesn't look that appealing and there's no talk to the Touch UI it might actually be an option. And of course I'd actually have a 3G phone that can use 3G.
Call CS and ask them to send to you a copy of the T&Cs that apply to your account. Also request clarification as to whether they have been amended during the life of the contract. If they have and you have not been informed then you have the grounds you need.
And this does happen.
Last year they ammended the 'time after which you could lower your tarrif' from six months to eleven months. They insisted that they had informed me, but, when I asked them to prove it they backed down and let me lower after six months.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM

Just tried switching 3G back on but I still can't make calls/send texts/use internet. Seems crazy paying for a phone when I can't use half of the features (mobile tv, video calls, etc). I hope they get it sorted soon.

Old 18-02-2008, 01:18 PM

The latest from my end on this is that after sending an arsey email to T-Mobile a nice lady called me back the next day to discuss it. The downside is that T-Mobile still don't seem to recognise that there is a problem with the network and she again offered to replace my phone. The alternative now is that I have to make a list of times when this is happening and call her back so she can pass this info onto the technical guys/gals so they can have a look at it for me. Since it happens every time I use 3G it shouldn't take long to come up with a list.
Ads

Old 28-02-2008, 10:10 AM

jt1000 is on a distinguished road
Yes, I've got this problem too on my N95- also in parts of London. It is fixed with the dual/GSM switch, but thats hardly satisfactory. Putting my Tmobile SIM in my work phone (non locked SE P1i) means that I can make calls, but getting a connection, both to the internet and voice calls can be very slow indeed. Maybe the P1i just has a slightly better antenna or is more persistent.

Either way, I'm also feeling a bit annoyed at having WnW which has to be turned off to get the phone to work properly.

Lets hope for a fix soon.

Old 28-02-2008, 04:42 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Aurial, to throw a potential spanner into the works...

Whilst I have not had the time or the inclination to wade through the T-Mobile T&Cs, is there any point where they SPECIFICALLY promise to provide a 3G service to you? Normally, providers are very cagey in stating what they will actually provide and may only refer to it in broad mobile telephony terms. They may not be contractually bound to provide 3G services to you. On a similar theme, I assume W'n'W is defined more as a mobile data service and not a specific 3G service so as to cater for those accessing it via 2/2.5G handset.

Just because your N95 has 3/3.5G functionality doesn't mean T-Mobile automatically supports it.

Not helpful I know but just looking at your situation from T-Mobile's point of view.

Incidentally, from time to time I get the same "connection error" message as you when trying to make voice calls. However, if I redial once or twice the problem seems to sort itself out without having to switch to GSM only.

I do, however, experience considerable problems sending SMS/MMS from Old Trafford on matchdays but if I switch to GSM only there is no such problem.

F

Old 28-02-2008, 06:28 PM

srw985 is on a distinguished road
this always happens to me in an area of chester, every saturday.

Texts wont send or come through, and calls wont make or recieve.
Sometimes web works, if I keep trying.
I'm on 3G, but the same thing happens to friends on T-Mobile GSM.

As soon as we walk back up the road after a few minutes its fine.

Old 28-02-2008, 10:54 PM

ffcphone, you make several good points and you're right, Web n Walk isn't a specifically 3g service, but a data usage plan. My one qualm is that T-Mobile are always plugging their Street Check service or whatever its called where they check the service at postcodes you'll be using the phone in to let you know what the reception will be like. They did this for me at the time I signed up in the shop and told me that I would have good 3g service at home and at my place of work. That's what's really annoyed me about it. I felt like I wasn't receiving the service I had been told I was getting. As luck would have it though the problem seems to have gone for me now touch wood. It was there one day and gone the next.