All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Gmail IMAP over GPRS

I've got Gmail setup on my N95-1 using IMAP and it works great on a Wifi connection. However it always times out whenever I try over GPRS. How can I get it to work on that connection?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 08-02-2008, 12:51 PM

dchky is on a distinguished road
Most carriers block everything except port 80 and 443, this means http content only. Unless you are running a server that lets you tunnel through these ports, then you are out of luck for the most part.

IMAP uses port 143 (993 for IMAPs)

Best option is to ask someone geeky at the phone company if they can allow an exception for you, or switch carrier if they don't listen, and tell them why you are switching.
Ads

Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 PM

rottie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Most carriers block everything except port 80 and 443, this means http content only. Unless you are running a server that lets you tunnel through these ports, then you are out of luck for the most part.

IMAP uses port 143 (993 for IMAPs)

Best option is to ask someone geeky at the phone company if they can allow an exception for you, or switch carrier if they don't listen, and tell them why you are switching.
I'm using Gmail IMAP over gprs and never had any problems with it.
But I'm not using built in client, I'm using Profimail.

Old 15-02-2008, 11:49 PM

OK I've just called up O2 and enquired about the above, as well as their HSDPA coverage. Bless the fellah who took on the task... he didn't know what I was on about!

Firstly he hadn't even heard of HSDPA (3.5G) so he had to check his knowledge base or something about it. After a moment, he said O2 didn't do it yet but the way things are going (e.g. vodafone & T-Mobile already doing it) it won't be long before O2 will.

Secondly I asked about having that port opened for IMAP access on GPRS. He didn't know about that either (then again, neither did I until I asked the question on here) and he said the Data team would probably deal with something like that. Unfortunately they'd closed at 8, so he's going to give me a callback tomorrow to keep me updated.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 16-02-2008, 04:51 PM

Humph right. Didn't get the callback I was promised so I had to call again. After having to explain this all again to someone else, they told me aparrently that it's not possible to open those ports for PAYG users. IMAP can only be accessed using the O2 Mobile Web connection, which is only available to contract users.

So I went through to cancellations and told them exactly why I wanted to move operators, because they weren't able to offer the service that I want. What I found strange was that all they could offer me was their 30-day rolling contract sim at £15/month, which doesn't even come close to the value I'm getting at the moment. Other than that, they didn't try hard at all to save me. They gave me my PAC code so I can move to another operator.

Does anyone know which other PAYG operator allows IMAP over GPRS?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk