All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM

fionamc is on a distinguished road
W960 a few questions, Help needed

1.Can I switch off 3G?

2.I am currently with Vodafone have and have a hotmail e-mail address can someone give me a step by step how to set e-mail up on it please

3.can I add Tom Tom and is GPS built in to the phone?

4.what is Blackberry connect?

Thank you

Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Anybody?????

Old 11-01-2008, 11:50 AM

edwardpeter is on a distinguished road
Hi fionamc,

Hopefully I can answer your questions about your new W960i.

1. To turn off 3G, simply tap the Menu icon, tap Tools, tap Control Panel, tap Connections, tap Mobile Networks, tap More, tap GSM/3G networks, tap GSM only, tap Done.

2. You can't set up a Hotmail account to work directly with the built in email client on your phone, as Hotmail doesn't support POP3 or IMAP4 email (these are two kinds of remote email access.)

Vodafone have recently launched a service called MyMail which will allow you to access a Hotmail account, and you even receive notifications when you have a new email, so you don't have to keep checking if you have any.

The service costs £5 per month for unlimited notifications, emails and attachments (up to 2MB in size) and you can set it up to retrieve from up to 5 email accounts at once. If you're interested in setting this up either give us a call on 191 or reply here and we'll help you get set up.

3. The W960 doesn't have built in GPS, and there isn't a version of TomTom currently compatible with Symbian 9.1. You can however get an external GPS receiver which connects via Bluetooth, and for those you can get software from many other companies to add Sat Nav functionality to your phone. One example is Wayfinder which you can easily find on the internet.

4. Blackberry Connect is a push email client with which you can get Blackberry style email on a non Blackberry handset. Unfortunately it's a piece of software that we at Vodafone are unable to provide support for, but if you set up your phone up with MyMail as per answer 2 you wouldn't need it anyway.

I hope this helps,

edwardpeter
Vodafone UK

Old 11-01-2008, 12:03 PM

Excellent Thank You

Old 29-01-2008, 07:45 PM

Gebbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardpeter View Post
Hi fionamc,

3. The W960 doesn't have built in GPS, and there isn't a version of TomTom currently compatible with Symbian 9.1. You can however get an external GPS receiver which connects via Bluetooth, and for those you can get software from many other companies to add Sat Nav functionality to your phone. One example is Wayfinder which you can easily find on the internet.
Just to correct this point, tomtom does indeed work on the uiq3 platform (symbian 9.1) including the w950, w960, m600, p990. I have had it running on my w950 for a little over a year.

It can be misleading because tomtom do not announce their software as working on a device until it has been thoroughly tested. This means although they have tested on the w950 they havent announced it as working on the w960 yet.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/featu...tegory=2&Lid=1

check out the list of phones that tomtom navigator 6 is compatible with and the w950 is in there. For quite a while the w950 was not in the list but only because they hadnt tested it. After a while it got added.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 AM

As an add-on to my previous comment I now also have tomtom installed and working on a w960.

see :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=69312

Old 16-02-2008, 02:06 PM

zubo is on a distinguished road
Gebbly

where did you get the Tom Tom software from please and how much was it.

thanks

Z

Old 17-02-2008, 05:14 PM

http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...tegory=2&Lid=1

current price - 87

make sure its the software version on DVD as you will need to install to PC and run the software there to install to phone as the w960 does not have a memory card slot.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:11 PM

KaraokeDJ is on a distinguished road
What is the benefit to turning off 3G?

Martin's Entertainment & Karaoke www.KaraokeDJ.co.uk
Weddings, Private Parties, Charity & Community Events and Corporate Functions in Lincolnshire, North East & North Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire, Cambridgeshire, Rutland (Leicestershire).

Old 04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Improved battery life. GSM is less power intensive than WCDMA... of course its also slower for data connections