All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
"It's Normal!" Steve Reviews the Sony Ericsson Walkman W960

Are you siting comfortably? Steve quite likes the W960. The latest UIQ3 device, Sony Ericsson's second UIQ Walkman phone, with regular keypad, regular styling, flush screen and a practical 128MB of RAM, has made an impression. His thoughts on the W960 from the point of view of a smartphone user are here. I'll be looking at the Walkman components for the audiophiles next week.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 AM

ares is on a distinguished road
Nice review Steve! I did not know the W960 could play h264 videos without problems...that is really good news, and i hope it will be also on the next P1 firmware
Ads

Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 AM

cirrus is on a distinguished road
Nice review Steve!

I've been using a W960 and think the camera quality is pretty good despite not having fancy optics. I have some macro examples on Flickr: a shot of an 8210 and one of some ice (btw, pressing the "4" key in the camera app lets you quickly toggle between focus modes).

Last edited by cirrus; 10-01-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Unregistered

Nice review

I'm really loving the W960i. One comment on the review - the walkman touch buttons do work outside the walkman app. You need to touch the walkman section in the screen and they enable. Not entirely obvious! :-)

Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
I don't understand. On my W960, the play icons are completely disabled and unlit when not actually playing music in the foreground. The ONLY places they work are in the Walkman player and on the standby screen with the Walkman pane highlighted. 8-(

Old 10-01-2008, 11:00 AM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve

The only problem i would say with the fixable via Firmware upgrades is just how long SE likes to take to release these you could be waiting 6 months for the niggles to be ironed out. Unlike something like the N95 8GB that got two within months of release and that actually greatly added functionality and weren't just fixes. It's also hard to understand why SE are unable to fix these minor niggles prior to release, well lets hope 2008 and some new devcies change that.

Marc

Old 10-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Smile my beloved w960i

hello, Im using an E90 with 8GB micro sdhc and my w960i, the Nokia is perfect for my business usages and has all and everything I need, even docx office documents with some updates. It can also be used as mp3 player with this storage amount an a Nokia Bluetooth Stereo headset. But the W960i is my favorite music device. I earlier had the Nokia N95 and the 8gb version but if it comes to playback and battery power, the Nokias can hide behind the Sony. For me I found the perfect "business" and "media" device.
kr

Old 10-01-2008, 11:54 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
A phone that has tempted Steve to give up his n95. Hmmm... definitely worth checking out...

Old 10-01-2008, 11:58 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm really loving the W960i. One comment on the review - the walkman touch buttons do work outside the walkman app. You need to touch the walkman section in the screen and they enable. Not entirely obvious! :-)
You didnt understand. What Steve meant was that since there are dedicated physical buttons available, they should work everywhere when the walkman app is on. Even while browsing through other apps like the calendar, phone book, the gallery, etc. I dont think it currently does that, does it?

Last edited by malerocks; 10-01-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Unhappy W960i Chappy

I don't want to be too pedantic...BUT...I really miss the fact that my old W800i would wake me up in the morning!! This device ( because it has Symbian - according to Sony tech support) cannot 'wake' itself up from being OFF. What's the point of an alarm fucntion that requires the device to be left ON all night? I hope some bright spark could maybe write an App that could do this oneday (fingers crossed)

Sometimes technology goes forward without fully appreciating that it's the little everyday things that make a 'good' machine 'great'. A device like this should be the sum of all that's gone before it, plus a little extra. Also I really thought the Light ON OFF function was VERY practical and was used often.

This is a beautifully featured phone and I really want to like it but I need preacticality too,
Lee

Old 10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Unregistered - I really don't understand. How can a device wake you with an alarm if it's turned off? Would your PC perform any action if you left it off? A smartphone is a full computer in disguise. Just put it in flight mode overnight rather than turning it off. The other advantage is that all your apps will stay running and it'll be a lot faster to use in the morning.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:56 PM

cirrus is on a distinguished road
I suspect that Unregistered is referring to the capability of some phones to turn themselves on (battery power permitting, of course) to sound an alarm that the user has set. This means you get woken up even if you turned off your phone the night before.
AFAIK all Nokia S60 phones can do this for alarms set in the Clock application (not in the Calendar though).

Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
My understanding that it is something only supported in the later version of the Symbian OS (feel free to correct me someone). S60 FP1 onwards allows this, but as cirrus says I think its only alarms in the clock application.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM

ares is on a distinguished road
And i ask...why on earth would you like to turn off the phone when you have the flight mode??? Its completely pointless

Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

Comment: My understanding that it is something only supported in the later version of the Symbian OS (feel free to correct me someone). S60 FP1 onwards allows this, but as cirrus says I think its only alarms in the clock application.

My understanding was that it is something only supported by much earlier versions of the OS. If I remember correctly Psion 5s could do this!

I think that it was a feature that Nokia was never really interested in, so it never made it into any of their phones.