All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Ghostalker is on a distinguished road
Unhappy N95 8GB won't connect via usb

This morning I received a second hand N95 8GB that I got off eBay. I tried to connect it to my laptop (running vista), and installed the Nokia PC Suite.

Vista says in one of it's delightful pop-up messages: "USB device not recognised - One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognise it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message" so I click. It says it's an unknown device and no drivers are installed.

I've tried it under both data transfer and pc suite setting under tools > connectivity > usb to no avail, and after reading a few other posts on here am wondering if the previous owner screwed up the settings somehow. It seems like a legitimate handset, branded and simlocked to vodafone (which I unlocked and plan to debrand as soon as I solve this connectivity issue).

I have browsed other threads and come across a similar story ( http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...usb+connection ) apart from the fact that the menu options are all there and working. Tried doing *#7370# but I need a security code probably put in by vodafone.

Any help you can give me would be very appreciated.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:16 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Have you tried a hard reset? It will wipe all the settings, though I don't really see what might have gone wrong to cause this issue)

Old 03-01-2008, 05:28 PM

How would I do that?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Liam548 is on a distinguished road
try a search hard reset is easy to do

Old 04-01-2008, 12:59 AM

No joy so far. Reset to factory settings, updated pc connectivity suite, installed software updater to see if that'll fix the driver issue, but that doesn't detect the phone either. Either this is a major vista flaw or I think whoever owned it before did something to break it.

I've tried to manually configure which drivers to use based on http://allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59761 which describes a similar problem, but I can't find them, anywhere on my computer. Does anyone know where I can get them from?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Not that it helps you much but I run Vista Ultimate (32 Bit) and have no problems connecting my N95 to that without any 'fiddling' to get it to work. At least you know it isn't inherently a Vista problem.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:11 AM

chrille_challe is on a distinguished road
your problem

i just had the same problem and solved it by just changing usb port ..probably its just a device issue. if it doesent work then reset the phone to original settings and if you want ..uninstall your usb devices then re install them....if that doesent work then you have som big issues

Old 05-01-2008, 05:09 AM

twistopher is on a distinguished road
Usb

Ghostalker,
I recently had the same issue - you might have to turn the usb on.
There is an option within the settings to turn on/off the usb connector - make sure it's on.
Should be all good now.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 AM

tonymy01 is on a distinguished road
The stock N95 (dunno about the 8G) has an option to default to a particular setting when the USB is plugged in, for PCSuite, Mass Storage, Image Print or Media Player, and I normally set this to "always ask". Perhaps you have it set to something that isn't compat with the Vista drivers, and it isn't doing the asking when you plug it in.
I found "factory reset" wasn't quite a full factory reset when I tried it once, it still kept a lot of settings for various things. If you haven't got too much installed on it already, do a full format which will *really* give it a proper factory reset. Normally the security code for doing the full reset is 12345 or 0000 or a variation like that, nothing to do with Vodafone (well, I guess if it is branded by them, it could have the potential for some of these to be altered).
Regards

Last edited by tonymy01; 05-01-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Old 25-04-2008, 02:29 AM

Insomune is on a distinguished road
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrille_challe View Post
i just had the same problem and solved it by just changing usb port ..probably its just a device issue. if it doesent work then reset the phone to original settings and if you want ..uninstall your usb devices then re install them....if that doesent work then you have som big issues
Hey changing the USB port worked for me too I was having the exact same problems you were. Its because of the Software on the Phone and Vista issues, there are work arounds, so don't give up, it really is a phenomenal phone.

Nokia N95 8gb *Unlocked, Vancouver Canaduh

Old 25-04-2008, 03:33 AM

14all is on a distinguished road
Hi Ghostalker,

I'm new to the N95 8GB, mine too is an unlocked Vodafone with all the branding at the moment.

But first, with the phone on key in *#0000# take a note of your firmware version, what is it btw?

Disconnect any data cable from phone.

Next on phone select menu/tools/connectivity/USB mode, make sure "PC suite" is selected and "ask on connection" is set to yes, exit back to your screen top.

Reboot both your PC and Phone.

Next, connect data cable to phone first and then a PC USB port, your phone should now show a window saying something like PC suite, click OK on phone and wait for PC to reconize new device.

Next select PC suite on your PC, follow instructions from there.

If some of the above you have done or not done already with no success disconnect cable, wait a moment, reconnect phone first, then use different PC USB port.

If you still can't make connection with phone, de- and re install PC suite and try the above again.

Before you firmware upgrade, I have been on a voyage of discovery in the last two days from a UK consumer law point of view, you might wish to read what I and others have found.

Hope the above helps, I feel I'm asking people to suck on eggs.

Last edited by 14all; 25-04-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Ads

Old 25-04-2008, 07:38 AM

leoni1980 is on a distinguished road
to do a full hard reset without faffing about with codes just hold the green 'answer' key, '3' and '*' simultaneously whilst booting the phone. Keep them held down until the language selection screen appears - et voila.

On occasion even XP has screwed up the drivers for all the Nokia phones I've had. I found that just completely uninstalling everything then re-installing fixed it, though if you have got a second hand phone a hard reset is always advisable (though a full firmware update is better if it's available).

Many manufacturers discount your warranty if you are not the original purchaser with a valid invoice (this happened with a Philips DVD player I bought off ebay which developed a fault and couldn't be fixed by them as 'they don't touch things off Ebay'.

I'm not sure about Nokia's approach here but it's worth looking at as if your manufacturer's warranty is invalid you might as well change your product code and get the latest firmware!

Just my two cents, for what it's worth

Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM

inspir3 is on a distinguished road
Smile WoW I had same problem!

haha, I had same problem with my N95 8gb. actualy I was searching for find out almost all the night, but hopeless. I just found your blog haha, I'm not alone :p
okay this post is the last thing I do, I must sleep asap.
I did everything what was suggested in this topic, nothing was help it. The last thing I can do is just enjoy with my old firmware for my nokia hahaha, ooooor I should just sell it and buy something better ! =D
maybe you already did that yeah ?
okay, thanks for your blog, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 PM

inspir3 is on a distinguished road
please contact me if you are possible to solve it sometime

hey btw, contact me please if you're able to solve it some time this is my ym: spring_dance@ymail.com
I'm often online there,
and btw, you can give me your contact too if you don't mind (send to my yahoo messenger or just mail to google: ilham.1991@gmail.com ), I will share you if I can solve this problem. see you god blesses you!