All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-01-2008, 05:53 PM

Logan1981 is on a distinguished road
Plug USB Stick Into Bottom of N95?

Does anyone know if its possible or can be made possible by means of a small application, to access a USB storage medium through the N95's bottom USB socket?

For example this adapter:

http://www.ukcomputerparts.com/produ...bbd56744f8391c

Coupled with a USB stick like my 2GB PQi:

http://www.pqi.com.tw/product2.asp?o...=163&PROID=286

Old 02-01-2008, 06:20 PM

rottie is on a distinguished road
It's not gonna work, N95 doesn't have a USB Host capability.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Logan1981 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
It's not gonna work, N95 doesn't have a USB Host capability.
Ok thanks for your reply. Accepted, but is it something that can be implemented via software? Or is it a hardware limitation?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:54 PM

rottie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan1981 View Post
Ok thanks for your reply. Accepted, but is it something that can be implemented via software? Or is it a hardware limitation?
Both AFAIK, proccessor must support it and it must be implemented in the OS.
TBH I don't think anyone will do anything about it, I don't see the point since you can just plug in the memory card. And you can also use the memory card in a reader as a portable flash drive like yours.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Sorry.. it is a hardware limitation.. not software. The N95 does not have the necessary logic to control the USB as the host/master as previously stated.

However, there are some USB MP3 players that have got USB Host ability and you can basically do it the other way around (I think it is the IRiver range that has it). You can send files to the N95 from these devices as the N95 will be like another drive off it. Has been discussed previously in these forums.. Do a search and you'll see.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:46 PM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
However, there are some USB MP3 players that have got USB Host ability and you can basically do it the other way around (I think it is the IRiver range that has it).
Yes, I have an iRiver H320 with USB host support. You plug an adapter (mini-USB to large USB 'female') into the mini-USB "host" port on the H320, and connect a USB mass storage device to the "female" end of the adapter.

This way, you can transfer data from an N95 to the H320's hard drive (I've done this successfully), and if you didn't want to bring a laptop with you (or don't have one), it's a useful way to back up files on the N95.

Reservations: the file manager on the H320 is rather clunky, and more importantly, the H320 host port is USB 1.1. That is, very slow - a few hundred Mb's can take a couple of hours or more to transfer, so have chargers for both units nearby (and something else to do while you wait, which doesn't need either device!).

That said, it's a handy facility to have access to. I love my H320 (2005 vintage), BTW, especially as it has some features that even newer iPods don't (USB host and Ogg Vorbis audio support, mainly). For that matter, I don't think the iRiver models which replaced the H3xx range have USB host ports - they certainly lacked quite a few of the H3xx's other features, like Ogg support :(

Hope this helps, anyway.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawalker View Post
Yes, I have an iRiver H320 with USB host support. You plug an adapter (mini-USB to large USB 'female') into the mini-USB "host" port on the H320, and connect a USB mass storage device to the "female" end of the adapter.

This way, you can transfer data from an N95 to the H320's hard drive (I've done this successfully), and if you didn't want to bring a laptop with you (or don't have one), it's a useful way to back up files on the N95.

Reservations: the file manager on the H320 is rather clunky, and more importantly, the H320 host port is USB 1.1. That is, very slow - a few hundred Mb's can take a couple of hours or more to transfer, so have chargers for both units nearby (and something else to do while you wait, which doesn't need either device!).

That said, it's a handy facility to have access to. I love my H320 (2005 vintage), BTW, especially as it has some features that even newer iPods don't (USB host and Ogg Vorbis audio support, mainly). For that matter, I don't think the iRiver models which replaced the H3xx range have USB host ports - they certainly lacked quite a few of the H3xx's other features, like Ogg support :(

Hope this helps, anyway.
I can confirm this!
I started a very old thread about exactly this and a search should find it. Any device with a host port will do the same thing as long as they have some sort of browser support (which the iRiver has!).
The N95 is then seen as the mass storage device from the the host allowing reading writing and transfer. I have used this as an experiment for uploading stored apps after a an upgrade and then subsequent install from the transfered sis file. Worked very well as you can define a folder with all your required apps and access them without need for a PC.
Went from this to having a similar folder on my mem card allowing the same thing.
Check this out
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ghlight=iriver

Last edited by pa49; 03-01-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Ads