All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Question about Podcasting app

I was happy to find the podcasting app under the new V20 firmware, so I started downloading podcasts from Sky News (have provided link if anyone wants it). I can download episodes fine using the "Podcasting" app, but they never ever appear in the Podcast menu. Whenever I open up Music Player, it always shows "0 episodes" under Podcasts, when I know that if I go to the Podcasting app, it shows I'm subscribed to three podcasts and when I go into them I can watch episodes I've downloaded.

I've included a couple of screencaps to show what I mean.

Podcasts show 0 episodes, but...

...go into the Podcasting app and they're listed there, some of them even downloaded and watched.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can I resolve it?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 AM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
Only audio podcasts show up in the Music Player. Looking at your second screenshot, those podcasts are in mp4 format, which is video.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Peter321 is on a distinguished road
I have not had that problem, it works fine with my phone and 5-8 different podcasts.

I can see from your screenshot that the podcasts are in .mp4 format

Are these Videopodcasts ?

In that case they won't show up in the Music Player

You should be able to find them in the VideoCenter app, but I guess it may be easier to view them from the podcast app.

If they are in fact audio-podcasts, then they are labelled incorrectly, try and see if there's a MP3 version available instead.

One important side note - the new Music Player (and the Videocenter) supports bookmarks - which makes it possible for it to remember the playback position the last time a file was played. This means that you can pick up where you left off, even several days and/or restarts later.

However, this ONLY works if you start playback from withing the Music app or the Videocenter app - NOT if you start playback from the podcast app.

I've emailed the podcast team and there was a technical reason for this, but they may fix it in a future update.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 AM

Yes, they're video podcasts (I never bother with audio ones unless they're radio broadcasts). OK at least there's a plausable explination for the problem. I would've hoped that all podcasts you download would appear there though.

Thank you both

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 11-12-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Yes, they're video podcasts (I never bother with audio ones unless they're radio broadcasts). OK at least there's a plausable explination for the problem. I would've hoped that all podcasts you download would appear there though.

Thank you both
Well, since the program is called "Music Player" you can't really blame it for not showing video files

I think it would have been more confusing if it did.

Then they should have renamed it to "Media Player" and it would make sense
Ads

Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter321 View Post
Well, since the program is called "Music Player" you can't really blame it for not showing video files

I think it would have been more confusing if it did.

Then they should have renamed it to "Media Player" and it would make sense
I was thinking this exact thing, just didn't want to say it. Does the video center show mp4 podcasts?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
True. As you said, if it were "Media Player" then certainly. However Podcasts come in audio, video and text format. It shouldn't be fair to single out just audio ones for ease of access. Nokia should change it to Media Player - would sort out all the fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Shirts
I was thinking this exact thing, just didn't want to say it. Does the video center show mp4 podcasts?
I never use video centre.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Last edited by zxon; 11-12-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Shirts View Post
Yes