All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-12-2007, 09:52 PM

Liam548 is on a distinguished road
Question quick question about upgrading firmware- N95 8GB?

I know there is a guide etc but I just wanted to ask the following.

I have just purchased a sim free n95 8gb for use with my o2 contract.

I note that the firmware on it is not the latest.

Before I upgrade it do I need to do a nseries pc suite back up (if so how easy is this to do and should I take any special measures?)

if i dont back up will i lose my copy of spiderman and other pre installed software?

sorry if sounding thick but never upgraded firmware myself before.

thanks in advance

Liam

Old 08-12-2007, 10:34 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Best bet is to perform a full backup using the pc suite and then upgrade the firmware, but when restoring your backup back on the phone it's best just to stick with contacts, messages, calender & notes, and bookmarks. I've found that if you restore user settings it can reintroduce bugs in the previous firmware, or make new features in the new firmware unavailable.

Just plucking an example out of the air, when I upgraded from v12 to v20 on my N95-1 and did a full restore, I couldn't set any ringtones to any of my contacts, nor could i set up video ringtones... which resulted in me asking about it on here and making a tit of myself :P

As for the Spiderman 3 video... I'm not an 8Gb owner myself, but I'm sure that I've read on here that you lose some kind of key file on your phone which allows the phone to play the file when you upgrade. So I suppose the answer would be "yes, you lose your copy of spiderman".

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 09-12-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Best bet is to perform a full backup using the pc suite and then upgrade the firmware, but when restoring your backup back on the phone it's best just to stick with contacts, messages, calender & notes, and bookmarks. I've found that if you restore user settings it can reintroduce bugs in the previous firmware, or make new features in the new firmware unavailable.

Just plucking an example out of the air, when I upgraded from v12 to v20 on my N95-1 and did a full restore, I couldn't set any ringtones to any of my contacts, nor could i set up video ringtones... which resulted in me asking about it on here and making a tit of myself :P

As for the Spiderman 3 video... I'm not an 8Gb owner myself, but I'm sure that I've read on here that you lose some kind of key file on your phone which allows the phone to play the file when you upgrade. So I suppose the answer would be "yes, you lose your copy of spiderman".
surely there is a way to upgrade software and not lose the full spiderman video and key?? and does that mean any other bundled software is removed or is the standard stuff that is packaged with the phone built into the new firmware updates as well?

This is why ui have never bothered updating my phones before. As when i have a had a phone a while I have lots of software on it that i dont want to lose or get corrupted and i dont like all my settings getting reset. Fortunately I havnt done anything with my new n95 8gb yet so can update before i set it up. I still dont want to lose the spiderman though!

Also I would anticipate newer firmware versions coming out in the future and would like to able to update it in the future too without losing everything!

Liam

Last edited by Liam548; 09-12-2007 at 03:06 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:57 AM

norm2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordlad View Post
surely there is a way to upgrade software and not lose the full spiderman video and key??
Seems to me if you have Spiderman you must have the Vodaphone firmware. If so, there is no upgraded firmware available. What you could do is change the product code to a generic one and then upgrade to the latest generic firmware (as explained in the Stickies) but you would definitely lose Spiderman and the other Vodafone stuff.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm2002 View Post
Seems to me if you have Spiderman you must have the Vodaphone firmware. If so, there is no upgraded firmware available. What you could do is change the product code to a generic one and then upgrade to the latest generic firmware (as explained in the Stickies) but you would definitely lose Spiderman and the other Vodafone stuff.
no mate,

My N95 8GB is a sim free model from nokia.co.uk and cost 499.

It does have an update available i have checked and its nothing to do with vodafone..

Old 09-12-2007, 05:15 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
if you back up your phone and restore then it should back up the spiderman key as well, nokia advise you this in the instructions in the box.
I watched it and then deleted it myself.
You won't lose any of the standard applications as they are built into the firmware.
If you have installed any applications you may need to reinstall them after the upgrade.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 09-12-2007, 10:33 PM

Lordhawkwind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm2002 View Post
Well I'm on vodaphone and I put my product code in and it told me a new upgrade was available 11.0.026. I presume that this must be Voda approved.

A bit disappointed that If I upgrade I will lose the spiderman movie.

Oh well that's life.

Cheers

Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 AM

just back it up first. use content copier in pc suite to do a back up then re load it onto your phone..

Old 12-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
just back it up first. use content copier in pc suite to do a back up then re load it onto your phone..
Have you updated than, and did it work?

Reading this and other forum some posters are having issues reloading their apps etc.. because they were created using older firmware.

So if you've done it and it is Ok it would be great to know.

Cheers

Old 13-12-2007, 10:56 AM

i have done and the spiderman movie works fine.

Remember what i said though I did it the day after i got it before i put any apps on it. Its first time ive upgraded a phones firmware for this reason as I imagine loads probs after you have set it up to your liking...

Old 14-12-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
i have done and the spiderman movie works fine.

Remember what i said though I did it the day after i got it before i put any apps on it. Its first time ive upgraded a phones firmware for this reason as I imagine loads probs after you have set it up to your liking...
Well it didn't work for me!

I backed up the phone and loaded the firmware and then reloaded the backup. The programme said all was OK but when I went to Spiderman it advised that there was no key to play it.

The new firmware is OK and the TV app is much better and the web is definitely faseter and phone more responsive.

Therefore overall a good upgrade.

Old 14-12-2007, 10:12 PM

i didnt have to touch my product code did you?
Ads

Old 15-12-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
i didnt have to touch my product code did you?
No, I just used the product code that came with the phone.

I rang Vodafone support and they advised that Nokia pre-load the movie and game me Nokia's UK no. to call and get the activation key.

According to Vodafone quite a few people have already done this, so I rang Nokia and they advised that their technical team would supply a new code but they are only open Monday to friday.

The no. is 08450 455555.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Old 15-12-2007, 04:51 PM

lucky mine worked then mines usually the first to go wrong!

let us know what nokia say because in the manual they wanr you to back up or you will lose it.

Clearly if it hasnt worked and you have done what they said its not your fault

Old 15-12-2007, 05:56 PM

azzy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi

I just backed up the phone using nokia pc suite, but when i restored everything back, the spiderman movie is asking for a activation key, what is the problem, which activation key is this, where can i get it from.