All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-01-2003, 04:25 PM

Sprotch is on a distinguished road
Any lucky bastard got an answer to that ?

Just found this here : http://www.business2.com/articles/web/0,1653,46723,00.html

"Another Swedish flagship, the Sony Ericsson P800 cell phone, suffers, to my mind, from similar problems. It's overloaded with features and lacks coherent design. Now, I am a big fan of Swedish design overall; I drive a Saab, and I use an Ericsson (ERICY) T39 phone. But the P800 is the Vasa of cell phones: big, imposing, and gilded with colorful icons and features, but frustrating and unwieldy. Two examples: The phone options aren't on the main configuration screen. And sometimes you can't send a picture (the P800 has a camera) through the network. An Ericsson spokesperson blamed that problem on the cellular network, not the phone, but a phone is part of a system, and if the network isn't up to supporting it, then the phone itself isn't ready for release. Fortunately, with a handset like this (which is more computer than phone), upgrading the entire phone or network is a matter of software; the P800 won't have to be raised from the bottom of Stockholm harbor with steel cables. "
Ads

Old 24-01-2003, 04:38 PM

JyriK is on a distinguished road
And after that load of bull, some waporware (neonode) praising.
Must be another one of Bill's friends
And he has seen a prototype NN Wow!

Old 24-01-2003, 11:08 PM

coolvi is on a distinguished road
This guy has a terrible sense of humour, and this whole article are filled with lame excuses and weak arguments. Com'on, how'd it get there in the first place?!

I mean, look at the issues it attempted to raise:

"big, imposing, and gilded with colorful icons and features, but frustrating and unwieldy"

There's going to be a learning curve, but the P800 is not even close to frustrating by any stretch of imagination! This phone is designed for those who already have basic experiences with PDA/PocketPC. And if you think it's too big, that's okay. You're very welcome to get the smallest of MD/MP3 player, digital camera, cellular phone and PDA/PocketPC.

"The phone options aren't on the main configuration screen."

That's why there's a keypad flip, DUH! When you open that flip this device is so much more, it will make you forget that it's actually a phone!

"And sometimes you can't send a picture (the P800 has a camera) through the network."

Did you know that even now there're about 7.5% of SMS are lost in City of Chicago according to the wireless providers there? And even your snail mail could be lost from time to time! Look, the service is not mature and reliable, it shouldn't even be there! :roll:

"...and if the network isn't up to supporting it, then the phone itself isn't ready for release..."

Ever wonder why the pioneers of technology are always on top of the rest, and if alpha and beta products are so buggy why the manufacturers still release them to testers...

I know maybe I should respect his opinions, but he failed to earn so! Next time trying to be a critic, at least bring something that has the least creditability! This person has absolutely no vision and this article is only good for bringing a good laugh to the table which I really enjoyed. Thank you for the link.