All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-12-2007, 10:32 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
UK Traffic Radio

The UK traffic radio streams work, too. Until they get it into the Nokia directory, you have to add it manually:

http://217.204.58.77/TR_SE_MP3_Low (then do the same again, substituting 'SE' with NE, NW, MID, SW, LON.)
There may be a simpler way.

Bearing in mind that Nokia are talking about embedding this into firmware on new devices, that they're trying hard to get providers to sign-up to their directory, and that average mobile phone users don't really like finding and mucking around with third-party apps like LCG Jukebox, I don't think "killer app" would be too much of an exaggeration in this case.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:58 PM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
Is it me or is the E90 really being treated as the red-headed step-child of the high-end nokia phones ?

Considering it's supposed to be their flagship product they really don't seem to want to actually make any of their new software run on it (Search v4 is a classic example)

Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstick View Post
Is it me or is the E90 really being treated as the red-headed step-child of the high-end nokia phones ?

Considering it's supposed to be their flagship product they really don't seem to want to actually make any of their new software run on it (Search v4 is a classic example)
Search V4 works fine on my E90. What problem are you having on yours?

Old 04-12-2007, 03:32 PM

JuhaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's not integrated to Active Standby... Other than that it runs just fine on my E90 also.

=)juha
Ads

Old 04-12-2007, 03:49 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
BTW, I've just posted some battery life-related remarks to http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...d.php?p=350781 . You might want to read them if you listen to online radio stations over a cellular connection AND you have 3G. (If you don't want to read the entire article, use Ctrl-F to quickly find "Nokia Internet Radio".)

Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 PM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well Nokia still don't want to admit V4 will work on the E90 for a start...

http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_608393

Might be related to the fact I've had repeated problems when moving the app between the external and internal screens.

I really do get the feeling that the E series is being left out in the cold while Nokia put virtually all their effort behind the N series.

Last edited by matchstick; 04-12-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstick View Post

I really do get the feeling that the E series is being left out in the cold while Nokia put virtually all their effort behind the N series.
So... you buy a business-oriented handset and then get upset because Nokia deliver an internet radio client to the music-oriented handsets first? Hellfire... Nokia just can't win.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 PM

dabotsonline is on a distinguished road
Direct Links:

Direct Links:

N91 (S60v3):

http://europe.nokia.com/EUROPE_NOKIA...sApp30_loc.sis

N82/N95/N95 8GB (S60v3 FP1):

http://europe.nokia.com/EUROPE_NOKIA...sApp31_loc.sis

Old 05-12-2007, 04:41 AM

davekolmer is on a distinguished road
Seems to work on 6120c

I installed the N95 version on my 6120 Classic and it seems to work fine. The only problem I've encountered is the slow packet rate of T-Mobile here in USA...hope they get their 3G up soon. I like this app, and especially the ability to add stations. The free Spodtronic app sponsored by Virgin (www.spodtronic.com) is a much more impressive app, though, in my opinion. My only gripe with it is that there does not seem to be a way to add stations that are not already in their directory. Nokia is putting out some really terrific apps, though, and I'm glad to have them.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Unregistered

Article

Hi,

As of now the volume control works only using the media keys.
Do one thing, use a head set which has volume control keys and increase/decrease the volume.

Regards,
Pavan

Old 05-12-2007, 06:35 PM

Guys and gals, Iíve made some VERY serious tests.

First, my generic remarks:
  1. Will it receive aacPlus (aka AAC+ and HE-AAC) support some time? Right now, it only (fullY) supports the, in webcasts, very-very rarely used AAC streams. Sure, it does play aacPlus streams too, but downsampled and in mono only, while the vast majority of these streams are stereo, even at 24 / 32 kbps, and only really the slowest (around 10 kbps) are mono. (AAC decoders can be used to decode aacPlus at a much lower sound quality, as was also the case with the MP3 Pro / standard MP3 set-up.) And, of course, Music Player in the N95 already contains aacPlus support (a decoder) Ė why not use it?

This question is particularly topical as mainstream Windows Mobile players doesnít really have HE-AAC support as can also be read HERE; some of the most popular ones (for example, Pocket Player) not even plain AAC support (as yet). Seamless aacPlus support on Symbian could be the killer application even for some WinMo users (if you want to make the platform more appealing to them, that is).
  2. The bug several of youíve already reported, that is, appís inability to start is a real pain in the back because it necessitates removing the app altogether and reinstalling it. You can very easily reproduce the bug (if you havenít already run into it) by just clicking THIS 24k aac+ link. After you exit the radio player, upon a subsequent restart, itíll no longer run and youíll need to completely reinstall it. (Tested on the N95 with firmware version v20; tested with both the internal memory and the card)
  3. It doesnít register the M3U extension, only PLS. This should be changed Ė after all, itís SHOUTcast / Icecast / MP3-compliant and many radio stations use MP3.
  4. What about adding OGG support? In several countries, where aacPlus isnít (at all) used, for example, Finland, itís still the only way to converse bandwidth (as opposed to the about two time more bandwidth-wasting MP3 streams). (I whish I Finnish stations switched to aacPlus though so that they could become accessible with GPRS only.)
  5. Iíve created a demo web page where you can test the different stream types, M3U extension etc. It also links to some link repositories. Itís available HERE.

Second, in addition to my past tests (see THIS), some additional 24 kbps + GPRS power usage tests taking over an hour total:

A 24 kbps 44 kHz stereo aacPlus stream playback (of course, as there is no aacPlus support, only in mono and 22 kHz):

24 kbps 24 kHz mono MP3 stream playback:

Both via the built-in speakers (unlike with the prev. test, where I utilized A2DP too) at moderate volume.

As can clearly be seen, AAC and MP3 playback consume approximately the same power AND the results are pretty similar to those published earlier. (Donít forget that these are 2G results, not 3G ones! A 3G connection would have had about 600 mW more power usage.)

Last edited by Menneisyys; 05-12-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Make sure you check out http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...d.php?p=352316

Old 03-01-2008, 11:00 AM

Des anyone know how the Nokia Internet Radio staff can be connected? I'd like to directly contact them so that I can ask them some questions about the bugs I've discovered and ask whether they plan to support streamed WMA and, most importantly, HE-AAC v2.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 AM

In my latest article, The Radio Stream Transcoding Bible ( http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=68414 ), I've thoroughly elaborated on using / optimizing Nokia Internet Radio. A MUST read!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Unregistered

Smile More devices

Cheked www.nokia.com/internetradio

It seems that now N73, N76 and 6110 support for Internet Radio has been added. It seems the files are different then the one released before.

I am waiting for other devices to be supported....