All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-01-2008, 07:39 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer In a word - YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver95 View Post
Helllo all,

I was wondering is it possible to debrand a vodafone n95 8gb v11 to another different region v11, for example hong kong firmware v11??

thanks
Happily it is possible to do what you ask .. sadly v15.x for the 8G is not yet available for HK / China. So follow the instructions .. after changing your product code .. be very careful and reset the phone and your PC .. turn off any firewall and antivirus software while doing the update .. as always Good Luck!

Old 31-01-2008, 09:30 AM

GavinK151 is on a distinguished road
upgrade while "charging" - ok?

hi, quick question about Firmware upgrade process:

My battery was about 3/4 full when I did the upgrade so I connected the charger - i.e. it was "charging" during the upgrade.

Is this OK to do? It states the battery should be full but I assume that if its not full, attaching the charger is an ok alternative?

cheers!

Old 31-01-2008, 09:42 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer In a Word YES..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinK151 View Post
hi, quick question about Firmware upgrade process:

My battery was about 3/4 full when I did the upgrade so I connected the charger - i.e. it was "charging" during the upgrade.

Is this OK to do? It states the battery should be full but I assume that if its not full, attaching the charger is an ok alternative?

cheers!
No problem .. its desireable to have it fully charged but having it plugged into the charger does no harm. In my experience.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:15 PM

testas is on a distinguished road
OK, I have a N95 (RM-160), firmware version 10.2.006, changed the product code to EURO1, and still the NSU tells me no updates available for it... any ideas?

Old 18-02-2008, 11:12 AM

eXXo is on a distinguished road
Hello, Very new to the forum here.

I have been reading all i could found about upgrading to a vanilla firmware but still affraid to do it.

I went to a nokia care point to see if they could do it for me (6110 and n95 8gb) with the resulting outcome of a bricked 6110 and the promise of getting it back in a few weeks. The technician told me his computer was a bit buggy and that that was the reason. Then I toured other care points to receive various answers:

- we can't do it u'll have to get the operator specific bc phones have a code and we can't do it

- Telefonica and Vodafone somehow lock thephones so u can't go vanilla (Spain here) and the most likely outcome is a bricked phone.

So I have changed to EURO1 and the updater now gives me ver 15 (mine is 11).
I really want to "debrand" my phone but affraid of the risk.
Are tey just trying to scare me? do you have any information about the phone "refusing" to go vanilla bc of an operator snitch in the firmware?

Thank you.

Old 26-02-2008, 10:10 AM

sykesy69 is on a distinguished road
Hi All...

I had a successful firmware upgrade, but can anyone tell me if it's possible to change the shortcut applications on the main screen, if it's possible at all???

Cheers

Old 26-02-2008, 11:20 AM

waxup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykesy69 View Post
Hi All...

I had a successful firmware upgrade, but can anyone tell me if it's possible to change the shortcut applications on the main screen, if it's possible at all???

Cheers
Of course it is possible!

Navigate to "tools > settings > general > personalization > standby mode > active standby apps." now change the shortcuts to the applications that you want. If you goto "tools> .... > standby mode > shortcuts" you can change the function of each soft key on the main screen as well.

Hope this helps.

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.

Old 26-02-2008, 11:51 AM

sykesy69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxup View Post
Of course it is possible!

Navigate to "tools > settings > general > personalization > standby mode > active standby apps." now change the shortcuts to the applications that you want. If you goto "tools> .... > standby mode > shortcuts" you can change the function of each soft key on the main screen as well.

Hope this helps.
Cheers Waxup,

I looked all around the Personalisation menu but my eyes just neglected the Standby Apps...

What a dumbass!!!

Old 26-02-2008, 11:53 AM

waxup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykesy69 View Post
Cheers Waxup,

I looked all around the Personalisation menu but my eyes just neglected the Standby Apps...

What a dumbass!!!

Not a problem, it happens. If it wasn't for these forums I'd be lost!

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:46 PM

ackman is on a distinguished road
Am trying to update my firmware... but when I install NSU it just keeps coming up with " missing some critical software" error. Even after re-installing it... any ideas??

Last edited by ackman; 05-03-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Old 26-03-2008, 11:44 PM

dark knight is on a distinguished road
ackman hello mate did you sort out that error? I too am experiencin the same problem

Old 27-03-2008, 02:16 PM

mukandi is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackman View Post
Am trying to update my firmware... but when I install NSU it just keeps coming up with " missing some critical software" error. Even after re-installing it... any ideas??
I have the same error message. I think it got something to do with Vista, its a guess as I have no problems on my XP machine.

Old 27-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Casperuk is on a distinguished road
i had that using Vista too.

you have to uninstall all the nokia software and then just re-install it, i have no idea why. a repair would not fix the problem.

after i removed everything just downloaded all the updated stuff from the nokia site and it works OK for me now

Old 27-03-2008, 04:56 PM

jdushe is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

If Nokia Software Updater keeps on saying "Unable to find phone" then make sure you are using a different USB port to the one that you are connecting to PC Suite with. You may also have to remove and install everything again like it says on the Nokia FAQ

Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM

GAMAN95 is on a distinguished road
How to rever back to v20?

Hi,
I just upgraded my N95 to V21, but I do want to revert back to V20.
The Nokia SW upgarde tool does not provide that option.
Any idea how to?

Thanks,
Gabi
Ads