All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-11-2007, 02:59 PM

andykn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadnewill View Post
cheers, you answered my question, and in good time too...i'm currently backing up my pics etc as i type.

Cheers for the guides
I would recommend you don't restore Settings from one verion of firmware to another. All the other stuff (Contacts, mesages etc. should be fine).

You will lose Spiderman annd some of the Vodafone supplied trial apps.

Unless you format your 8GB (built in) mem card first you will have them partially reinstall but not be useable.

Old 30-11-2007, 03:04 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1807 View Post
I would suggest to add the following.
When updating the firmware, leave also the power connected. Just in case the mobile is not fully charged, it can avoid that due not enough battery power the upgrade fails.
When I made last time my upgrade, i noticed, even my mobile was fully charged, after the upgrade and before restart the bars went down to 3 bars.
Not sure whether that was an cosmetic problem.

Greetings
Tom
I already included a recommendation to do this

Old 30-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
You should also disable your PC's antivirus/security software before doing the update, many programs like ZoneAlarm, Kaspersky etc etc can give a security warning during the update (depending on your settings) which will require user input, if you don't give it quick enough say goodbye to your phone.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 30-11-2007, 09:03 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer two points ..

before updating the firmware reset both the

1. PHONE to known settings (GREEN * 3 with power-on) - after you've done the backup of course and

2. reset your PC .. so that you don't suffer from USB awol syndrome (well at least this will mitigate the likelihood of that happening)

We want to avoid any random settings and dodgy software from interfering with the process.

Other than that - nice guide thanx 3 Shirts

Old 13-12-2007, 05:45 PM

regimorales is on a distinguished road
I updated my N95-3 recently and thought the following would be helpful

-make sure your software updater is the latest version
-back up the phone
-remove the memory card
-do a hard reset

It took me close to 2 hours to upgrade the firmware, with my phone being fully operational. After i removed the microSD card and formatted the phone, the upgrade went fairly well. It was an interesting experience, with me wondering where I could bring my phone if ever it got "bricked" by a botched upgrade.

Old 24-12-2007, 07:42 PM

marcontinental is on a distinguished road
Dear all!

I have writen this msg earlyer to a different section of this Faq and gues i need a lot of patience corse i can see that some of you are not here all so often. Allso i hope im in the right section now and have a bit more luck to get some productive help somehow quicker!

How ever, big time respect to all of you !!!

I just got this Fantastic Nokia N95 8GB as a birthday Pressent and as a big Fan from nokia i love to bring it to the latest satands of possible software.
Though as allways there are a few problems comming with it.
So first is the debranding thing.
My devise is bougt in Italy with i havent got a problem with corse i do understand the language even my motherlanguage is german.
Though it is all about this enoyng provider stuff so i was looking for some help online wenn i hit this site wich is so far the most informative.
Now, i read a few stuff but have a few questions.
My product code is 0557876 with i can not finde anywhere in the list of The Nokia Blog "http://thenokiablog.com/2007/04/03/nokia-n95-euro-product-codes-and-language-packs/"

So is this list up to date ore an older version???

When i give my code in to the new version generator from Nokia under "Can i Update?", to look for a new SW version it gives me the answer "Sorry, there is no software available for your product code Please Enter Valid Product Code." Even if i know that there exists a new version for N95 8GB witch is 11.0.026.
I got this info from Nokia Discusions and i got tolde that version 20.0.015 is for Nokia N95 but not for the 8GB Devise!
Plus the software updater gives me kinde of the same answer that there is curently no new software to update even if under the downloadable software page it says that there is this new software version 11.0.026. for N95 8GB still here is nothing to click on to get it downloadet to the pc.

If i prossed now to debrand my devise through nemmesis and follow all the nice instructions giving in the Euro 1 code for example and update to version 20.0.015, will my devise have still all the N95 8GB Features ore will it somehow be limited to just N95???

What can i do to find out the right way to debrand and update my "Nokia N95 8GB Proberly???
And is it possible that someone of you guis can come up with a detailed manual to do so? Collecting all the infos from other friends of this fag, adding all the useful possible tips, triks and hints from to do's not to do's ect...?!
I hope it is not asked to much asked and i know that it should be rewardet somehow corse it may take a lot of time to invest. Again Big time respect!!!

I thank you so much for your help!!!

Old 24-12-2007, 11:36 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
The N95 8gb and N95 'classic' are different mate. The latest firmware for the 8gb is v11 and you need to use the correct product code for the 8Gb version. There are stickys about both of these so have a look there for more info.

Old 30-12-2007, 11:08 AM

wangkom is on a distinguished road
Firmware upgrade for different language phones

Hello,

I am an American in China and I purchased an N95. The phone comes with English, Chinese, and Cantonese languages.

I want to upgrade my firmware but I am afraid that it will wipe out the multi languages on the phone. (I don't speak Chinese well but I still need it for text messaging and I don't think the Chinese Nokia site has an upgrade anyways).

Can anyone confirm if the languages are wiped out or not from a firmware upgrade?

Thanks

Old 07-01-2008, 09:38 PM

cstevens is on a distinguished road
Sorry, guys I have had a look around and am left a tad confussed, got my N95 (with 8GB card) today from 02 and have had EIGHT crashes already always when opening the browser and trying to connect to wifi. So I need to get upgraded to the latest firmware.

However when I try the proceedures above, I am told by the Nokia updater that I am already on the latest firmware (Version 12.0.0.013).

From reading around the forum I believe the latest is 20.0.0.015. Can someone help me?

I definitely need to update or this thing goes back (I have moved from an XDA Orbit which was quite stable, but lacked the nokia feel that I missed).

Thanks

Old 08-01-2008, 05:03 AM

jstockda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
Sorry, guys I have had a look around and am left a tad confussed, got my N95 (with 8GB card) today from 02 and have had EIGHT crashes already always when opening the browser and trying to connect to wifi. So I need to get upgraded to the latest firmware.

However when I try the proceedures above, I am told by the Nokia updater that I am already on the latest firmware (Version 12.0.0.013).

From reading around the forum I believe the latest is 20.0.0.015. Can someone help me?

I definitely need to update or this thing goes back (I have moved from an XDA Orbit which was quite stable, but lacked the nokia feel that I missed).

Thanks
Look at the sticky thread on how to change your product code. Branded firmware is always far behind the generic one. Voda in New Zealand is still on V12 so I changed my product code to an unbranded one and then did the update process and I'm now on V20. Do this at your own risk though as it will invalidate your warranty.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Thanks, I found the link now and will give this a go later today
Ads

Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM

Thanks again, I successfully upgraded firmware of my N95 to 20.0.0.015.

So far, I have been surfing, retrieving emails, generally playing and no crashes yet.....right I have a few more questions, but I am going to make sure I have exhausted the search button before posting them

Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 PM

baconroll is on a distinguished road
Apologies if this has been asked before but I own an N95 on O2. I successfully upgraded the firmware to V20 some weeks ago but now I want to revert back to the software that came with the phone. I have changed the product code back to the O2 one and ran Nokia software installer but it says I have the latest version - V20. So - is it not possible to revert back once I have upgraded? And if it is - what am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:25 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer In a word - NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconroll View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before but I own an N95 on O2. I successfully upgraded the firmware to V20 some weeks ago but now I want to revert back to the software that came with the phone. I have changed the product code back to the O2 one and ran Nokia software installer but it says I have the latest version - V20. So - is it not possible to revert back once I have upgraded? And if it is - what am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.
Its not possible to "downgrade" even with a code change.
You will need to wait for O2's version of v20 to appear .. then using their code you will be able to "reflash" that version.

Old 14-01-2008, 06:10 AM

Guyver95 is on a distinguished road
Helllo all,

I was wondering is it possible to debrand a vodafone n95 8gb v11 to another different region v11, for example hong kong firmware v11??

thanks