All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-01-2003, 08:10 PM

omar_g is on a distinguished road
Has anyone here signed up to Fastxt?

Has anyone here signed up to Fastxt?

Old 23-01-2003, 08:19 PM

Yes I am trying it on PAYG and seems very good - cool to have MSN messenger access on phone!!
Ads

Old 23-01-2003, 08:45 PM

Cassius is on a distinguished road
Why would you wanna pay for a service every month if you can just use TipicME for free or buy IM+ 2.0????? I really don't think this service will attract a lot of customers. The software looks good though (although they edited the screenshots to make them look better). Fastxt should just sell the software on Handango!

Old 24-01-2003, 01:30 AM

The benifit is that it sends SMS over the GPRS network, although not to T-Mobile UK by the looks of things.

Old 24-01-2003, 03:32 PM

Mr Gar is an unknown quantity at this point
That's exactly what i've been wodering Cassius. If you ignore the free SMS there is no point in paying a monthly fee to use msn when other software does it at no monthly cost.

Old 24-01-2003, 04:51 PM

I have Orange GPRS WAP package and it works on that service by the looks of things.

Old 24-01-2003, 06:44 PM

Stezos is on a distinguished road
Taking into consideration Oranges high GPRS costs and the monthly payment to Fastxt does it work out much cheaper than sending a regular sms? I see that for every message you send you get it returned to your phone which confiurms that it has got through at their end and been forwarded on, taking up up twice the amount of GPRS data. Im quite a heavy txt user, probably in the region of 1000/1500 a month so it would be interesting to know what the actual cost per sms works out at.
Stezos

Old 24-01-2003, 11:03 PM

Zipper is on a distinguished road
[attempt two] Hello all! I personally dont agree with fastxt's advertising, personally [no innfluence from AAS] do not agree with there advertising 500 SMS free, when in actuality it is 100, also they dont happen to mention much about GPRS usage, I personally think this is misleading [also a few other people have emailed me agrea'ing with my personal views]. How have people found the GPRS usage over FREE applications such as tipic ME? http://www.tipic.com [I have found this the best so far]

NOTE: These are my personal views, not influenced in any way by AAS

If knowledge is power, then to be unknowen is to be unconquerable

Old 24-01-2003, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stezos
Taking into consideration Oranges high GPRS costs and the monthly payment to Fastxt does it work out much cheaper than sending a regular sms? I see that for every message you send you get it returned to your phone which confiurms that it has got through at their end and been forwarded on, taking up up twice the amount of GPRS data. Im quite a heavy txt user, probably in the region of 1000/1500 a month so it would be interesting to know what the actual cost per sms works out at.
Stezos
Also, what may be of interest, is, that they only offer 100 free SMS's - ONLY gradually going upto 500 over time [which they 'happen' to forget to mention] - After that SMS are charged at 6p - Making it 6p + GPRS for an SMS sent AND recieved [the confirmation]... Dont forget about the valuble resorces the software will take up on your phone [No were did I here about application size, also there is no way to 'test' the ap with out signing up]

Old 24-01-2003, 11:31 PM

OK - What about this? It advertieses FIVE hundred free texts... BUT hang on! ... Wait - You get 100! So.... We ask, whats going on? Ahhh - You have to be with them 5 or so months to recieve 500 texts... Now I see. And, we are still paying the SAME amount each month when recieving the 100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Isaacs
you get 500 free sms over a period of 5 months. 100 per month.
He said it himself, marketing guy FROM fastxt... Hmmmm

Let me look.... Oh... It must say... no... It doesnt Mention it uses the *costly* GPRS [granted in a few YEARS it wont be as expensive, but hey, were in the UK! ITS BLUMIN LOADS for most]

Whats next ... Ahh yeah - So we sign up for 12 months... no wait... it says 'cancel at any time' Oh... but...

Oh - ANOTHER thing - Texts are priced at 6p each after the first 100, so we have 6p +GPRS for a text +GPRS to recieve confirmation text.... AND PLUS GPRS to stay connected!!

DOESNT ANY ONE SEE THAT IS A LITTLE MISLEADING!?

[note: in no way do i involve AAS in my post][/quote]

Old 24-01-2003, 11:48 PM

Zipper, Zipper, Zipper....

Calm down son,

You do in fact get all 500 free sms allocated at once now. The Fastxt site will be updated to show this next time they have a site overhaul.

If you use a lot of SMS, the deal works out worth while:

Each sms is less than 1kb, so 0.8p on average accors the UK's networks. The price of subscription is 5.99. You do the maths!

Once the free sms has run out, they cost 6p each to buy, and come in bundles of 100 at a time. Admittedly this isn't any cheaper than the bundles offered by the network, in fact it is more expensive once you add the 5.99 rental AND the GPRS costs, but I do believe Fastxt will wise up to this and adjust as they feel they need to in order to retain customers.

Don't forget that if you sign up now you get unlimited sms until April; That is what convinced me to sign up, as I've just dropped my SMS heavy, O2 contract (Do check with CS to see if this is still running before you sign up though).

The website isn't the clearest, but i've been very impressed with both the software, users guide and the fantatsic customer serivce they offer. All the staff really believe in the product and know about it too which really helps.

Its no where near as GPRS intensive as Tipic, saving a huge amount on data costs for the average chat session. Rather than buy IM+, why not consider an annual subscription to Fastxt? Both have obvious pluses and minuses.

I'll do an honest review of the software & service sometime next week (with REAL screenshots!).

Old 24-01-2003, 11:51 PM

What about software size? I may have it if I could try out the software, But I would like to see and evaluate its ease of use etc... Would it be legally correct if you sent me software or not?

Old 24-01-2003, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar_g
Zipper, Zipper, Zipper....

Calm down son,
Yes yes, I've been getting very annoyed at all these companies trying to scam people off, either by telling them 'half truths' or utter lies... I would hate to see it happen again, and this was my instant view as I viewed there website totally misleading. My line of work naturally makes companies pander to ourselves to an extreem degree... However Recently I dealt with a few companies on a personall level and there reaction is totally different... I ended up getting a bit angry and grilling them from a corp. level [rather than personal] and they gave me complete refunds or stupidly good discounts. I just dont like to see the consumer on a single person level treated bad, everyone is a customer, everyone should be treted right, not being lied to and so forth... There are so few businesses with good CS for the consumer I could probly name them in a few lines! ITS blumin annoying! there... I had to say it.

Old 25-01-2003, 12:19 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I'm locking this thread because I think people have made the point they want.

Personally I don't have a problem with the FastTxt ads, I actually think its a very good service, and I'm sure it will do well, sure its not for everyone. As noted above this issue has been raised before, I dont see the need to raise it again.

So could we please be a little less inflammatory!

Thanks

Rafe

Old 25-01-2003, 12:20 AM

Threads are getting locked all the time!!! Cant we have free speech any
more!? The idea of a forum?! Its to exchange everyones thoughts - not just yours Rafe or any other mod... The idea is we all talk!

Admin note: This has already been explained to you. You agree to the forum rules when you join this fourm which includes the right for a mod or admin, to edit, move or delet any post.

This has been explined to you by personal message and e-mail. I have set up this forum to enable people to exchange ideas and talk but we ask hat people do it civilly and without going over the top and we strive to create a friendly atmosphere. You have violated the rules and ethos several times. You have now recieved your second warning. One more and you are banned.
Rafe (Admin)