All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-11-2007, 09:53 PM

stiofansisland is on a distinguished road
Google maps/earth on n95 :-)

has any 1 else downloaded the google maps from ther website?.. i just noticed it, worked fantastic and u can switch to satalite pics ad zoom right in!! and you can use the GPS with it to get your possition!!!!

am i the first or the last 1 2 know bout this!! never seen anything bout it b4!

i just went to google with my fon and typed in "google maps" and ther was a link at the top of the page to download google maps for n95!!!

woohoo!! who need's an iphone!!!

Old 28-11-2007, 09:56 PM

stiofansisland is on a distinguished road
fooking hell the gps seems 2 work better with this aswell!! im in my room which has 1 tiny window and iv got 4 satalite locks lol!!

Old 28-11-2007, 10:11 PM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
hehe it is a brilliant program. afraid you aren't the first to find out about it though, it's been mentioned quite a few times already

for anyone who doesn't know, you can download it by going to www.google.com/gmm on your phone.

Only downside is that it has to download the maps over the air, so you'd better have a good data plan, or be lucky enough to be next to a free wifi access point whenever you want to use it

Old 28-11-2007, 10:15 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Can you offline maps?

If google maps will do that .. even for the basic street view then it wins.

I basically can't use standard(Nokia) maps here coz they suck for my country. Mgmaps is a reasonable alternative but now google data isn't available on that it kinda makes it less than good.

I haven't time at the moment to figure out Off-lining Google maps .. so your experience would be great .. thanks in advance

Old 28-11-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
I haven't time at the moment to figure out Off-lining Google maps .. so your experience would be great .. thanks in advance
Fairly sure that's not possible. The only thing I can think of is manually caching the data, but 1.) the program almost certainly has a (sensibly) reasonably small cache limit, and 2.) do you really want to be moving through all the tiles at all the zoom levels manually? With the time it would take to move through all the tiles in England at the highest zoom level, you might as well find a job to fund a decent data plan...
Ads

Old 28-11-2007, 10:51 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer If it will take a proxy or a local server

you can always run apache on your N95 and point maps at localhost..

By the way has anyone managed to get wifi working in an Adhoc (without an AP) wlan .. I'm thinking wifi exchanges >> bluetooth

Old 28-11-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
you can always run apache on your N95 and point maps at localhost..
Hmm, surely that's too much hassle for what you are getting...? Also, Google Maps doesn't give any settings that you can change, so you can't really point the program to look at localhost, unless you can install a local DNS server too and override the resolution of the server name...

Quote:
By the way has anyone managed to get wifi working in an Adhoc (without an AP) wlan .. I'm thinking wifi exchanges >> bluetooth
Yes! I only remembered to try this few days ago in fact. My laptop is almost always connected via ethernet cable when I'm at home or work, so sharing that connection to my phone over an ad-hoc wireless network is pretty useful. Not sure about sending files forward and backwards using this, but going online definitely works, and as I'm usually so close to the laptop, there is no problem with the reliability of the wifi at all!

Last edited by randomfan; 28-11-2007 at 11:36 PM.

Old 28-11-2007, 11:26 PM

floppydonkey is on a distinguished road
Good call... the animated movements slide smooth and nicely so you can gather where you are ..... just a little time to get used to the new buttons but what a great piece of freeware...! Good Spot dude