All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
10 Reasons why the Nokia N95 'classic' is better than the N95 8GB

(C) 'Attention Grabbing Headlines Ltd.' No, of course, I wouldn't rather have a 'classic' N95 than the newer 8GB model, if offered both for Christmas, but there's still a real story here. I argue that there are enough positives for the 'classic' as to keep it a contender. Read on...

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Unregistered

11. The screen is set into the case on the N95 classic. Although the 8GB version looks better having it level with the edges of the case, it offers less protection.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Unregistered

In all honesty Steve do you think the N95 will get new firmware that includes some form of demand paging.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

If I was a betting man, I'd bet against it. I'd bet on a new firmware with extra optimisations and N-Gage client and Music store shortcuts, but if Demand Paging's in there as well then I'll both surprised and delighted 8-)

Old 09-11-2007, 10:26 AM

Richard Ross is on a distinguished road
A fun line of thought but one with a serious undertone - just who is produict planning at Nokia these days? I know they've integrated their silo'd device design units but Nokia's thinking is all over the place. So...

1) They need 'clean' upgrades, fading in one model while the predecessor is still available can only damage consumer perception (i.e. how many are buying the classic N95 now who will see the new one in the shop window tomorrow?).

2) Why make two different types of device for entertainment and productivity. You know what the best business smartphone wold be? An N95 8gb with a qwerty keyboard. Why create separate architectures (which locks business users out of things like N-Gage) when a single architecture with differing form factors would be (a) cheaper to produce and (b) opens each model to a wider audience. It's not like the E90 runs different office or OS software to the N95.

3) Model proliferation is a huge problem for Nokia. They need to pick 3 or 4 design streams and stick with them (e.g. Moto) rather than making literally dozens of different devices at any one time.

4) They need to think long and hard about hardware interfaces. The iPhone has focused consumer attention on what phones can do (rather than how they look or how small they are). In large part it has done this by making access to functionality far easier and more intuitive than it is on, say, an N95. With email, online communities and so on such a huge part of everyone's daily life now, making a smartphone with a hardware interface that actively discourages use of its advanced functions (e.g. N95) is senseless. On a standard phone-orientated model, a keypad is good. On something that the kids could use to email and update Facebook, it's idiotic. Right now, Nokia are letting RIM (RIM!) into the consumer space because they don't make a consumer phone that you can write emails on.

As for why you would stick with the N95 - it stands right now as a relatively cheap 'entry' into smartphones. If you aren't sure whether you really want a smartphone but want to try it - get a classic N95. Cheap but easy to use as a standard phone if the advanced features aren't for you.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Unregistered

If you want a business phone without the advance features and QWERTY then you should be recommending people to get the E61.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:56 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
It's only at Expansys that the sim-free price is just plain mad 649.50 (they wanted 709 two days ago), most other places including Mobile Fun have it sim-free for a much more sensible price 494.95

In the last year Expansys have just really gone down hill, charging ridiculous prices for new releases, shame really cause they used to offer such a good (and safe) service for purchasing phones, pda's etc

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Well actually I bought my N95 even a lot cheaper than that... their dumping it together with package deals... if I base myself on that (I calculated it all through, with interest etc.) but take into account the fact that subscription prices for package deals are really to high i'd say I bought my N95 clasic for 350 euros while the 8GB would have been around 550 euros.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:33 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
7. I've never managed to get the video editing suite to work, even with low resolution and really simple tasks.

Otherwise I agree with you.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Neil: Video editing now works superbly on the N95 classic with latest (v12) firmware. I did a test video montage the other day, pulling together three VGA resolution clips into another VGA res output movie. All very easy. I think this is something Nokia fixed for v12 but forgot to tell anybody.

[Memo to Nokia: PLEASE do proper changelogs for each firmware, they help everybody and will gain you enormous respect]

Old 09-11-2007, 12:30 PM

justwords is on a distinguished road
The N95 8GB is much better. Why? Here's my thoughts:
- The casing of the "old" n95 is plastic with paint. This looks very cheap and within months i a lot of the paint on my device had been scratched off. The N95 8GB uses black plastic - the paint cannot be scratched off.
- The N95 8GB firmware with "demand paging" makes this device much faster and (along with more ram) run more stable
- The screen is bigger and brighter
- the battery is better (still not good enough)

Old 09-11-2007, 01:07 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
US N95, best of both worlds (with the exception of lack of camera cover)? I would like to/need to think so as I am in the US.

Richard, I disagree with pretty much all but (parts of) your point 4. In any case, I would say that with 40% market dominance, I would say its safe to say that Nokia is still doing most things right (in particular bearing in mind they ARE a business ultimately aimed at making money).
Ads

Old 09-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Unregistered

12. it is older than the 8gb...wait that's a negative point! yes it is indeed, why bother getting an older version phone when there is a new better one? you might as well save up more if it is more expensive, oh and don't forget, it's really new phone, of coz it's price is still very high.
come on steve, i thought u said N95 8gb was the best smartphone that is coming up in one of your videos of the 5 best smartphones comparison that i watched

Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

hmm

I just want to tell you they cost the same in my country if you commit to Tre. I pay about 50$ a mounth and of that 50$ i can do whatever i choose to do for 40. And the subscription would have been the same with the original N95.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:09 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Unregistered, you may want to read (again) what Steve said. He would still pick the 8GB version.