All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-10-2007, 01:15 AM

tek2007 is on a distinguished road
Unable to retrieve multimedia message

Every time I switch on my phone and also periodically, an error message pops up, "Unable to retrieve multimedia message. Close some applications first." I have cleared out a heap of messages and C: drive has 11MB free. E: has 101MB free. My SMS/MMS are set to store on the C: drive.

Using Best Taskman, when I first start the phone and don't have any applications open, I have 19.5MB RAM free, yet I still get the error message.

There is one MMS that I know has been sent to me but which I haven't received, it's probably the one that is stuck. I don't even care about the message as I know what it is now, but I just want the error message to stop coming up!

I can send test MMS messages to myself, and they send and receive fine.

My handset is an N73 running the following software:

V 4.0736.3.2.1
04-09-2007
RM-133
(C) Nokia N73 (02)

Please help thankyou!

Old 24-10-2007, 01:38 AM

John-Jack is on a distinguished road
Hmm... maybe the message is utterly screwed up... or in a format your N73 just can't comprehend.
If you can send MMS to yourself alright then it's a problem at the service end.
Ring your network
Legacy? Complete! Mecca? Well... a step backwards

Old 24-10-2007, 03:17 AM

Thankyou for the suggestion John-Jack.

I know that when a phone is not configured correctly for MMS, the service provider simply sends you an SMS advising you have an MMS ready for viewing on their website etc. I'm trying to get this to show up so that I can figure out what exactly this screwed up message is.

What I did was disable MMS reception in the message settings menu. No luck the error still comes up. I even changed the MMS provider to "None" and my phone still seems to want to download this MMS!
Ads

Old 25-10-2007, 04:31 AM

I was finally able to get rid of this rogue MMS after taking all the following steps:

- Deleted all "data connections" services from my phone.
- Called service provider and had them disable all data services (including GPRS/3G/WAP/MMS from my account
- Backed up all data on my phone using Nokia Suite
- Reinstalled phone firmware, with the same version
- *#7370# to reset all settings to defaults
- Restored my data to the phone
- Called service provider, re-enabled all data services
- Reinstalled all "Data connections" services to my phone

Now...

The rogue MMS came through as a "MMS notification message" and the icon was a little envelope with an exclamation mark on it. So I opened it, and it gave me the option of "retrieve" which I selected.

I waited around 5mins then realised it wasn't doing anything so I turned the phone off as the messaging application no longer responded.

Now the same rogue MMS was sitting there with the same icon, with the status FAILED. I could not delete the message, nor move it, or do anything with it. No further option to "retrieve"

I subsequently spoke to the person who sent the MMS, they said it was just a small image attachment with a caption. (They had not even intended to send it to me in the first place, geez!)

Now that I had this stuck message, I simply restored my backed up data again to the phone so that it overwrote the rogue MMS.

Problem solved!

Old 27-10-2007, 01:51 AM

John-Jack is on a distinguished road
Hah! Super duper...
That's a real pain though, had a similar problem with voicemail, had to use another sim card with no voicemail messages to get rid of the icon.
Just realised that mighta worked here, but if you've solved it already that's fine.
Legacy? Complete! Mecca? Well... a step backwards

Last edited by John-Jack; 27-10-2007 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Missed the point completely