All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Coming soon? Nokia E51 - small candybar Eseries

Thanks to the the publication of a user agent profile on the Nokia web site we know there is another Eseries device on the way. The Nokia E51 runs S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1. The profile indicates that the E51 offers GSM, EDGE, WCDMA, HSDPA and WiFi data connectivity, has a QVGA screen and a numeric phone keypad. Read on for more.

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
It's nice that there's a Bluetooth on/off switch on the * key, saves the bother of scrolling to the Bluetooth icon in the standby menu. Very handy these days what with bluetooth stereo headphones, bluetooth keyboards, bluetooth file transfers etc.

Changing the S60 squiggle into a house is probably also a good idea. It's actually very difficult to explain to people new to S60 what exactly that key is, I mean it's hard to even describe that icon accurately ("press the flying-cubes-with-swirls-around-them key"). Saying "press the house key" or "press the home key" is much much easier.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Last edited by krisse; 05-09-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:40 PM
AvWijk

E51

I'm glad they come up with a successor with just a d-pad, I'm having problems with my joystick. I also hope that the hardware will be similair to the Nokia 6120, that means with 2 MP cam and fast processor

Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think it would be reasonable to assume that its based on the same Freescale Chipset as the Nokia 6120. I also think a 2.0 megapixel camera is fairly likely as it seems to be becoming standard across the range now.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 AM

Richard Ross is on a distinguished road
At times I struggle to understand who Nokia is targetting its phones at.

As an 'E' it must be aimed at the business community and it's certainly got all the connectivity you might want but those of us who use these things for work want to be able to reply to emails and a number pad is of no use at all for that.

Maybe they are thinking that many business users just want an unobtrusive phone that can - occassionally - pick up emails or open attachements. I guess there's probably a fairly large business user base that doesn't do the intra-day, everyday mobile messaging thing.

Still think the lack of a qwerty keyboard of some type (Pearl, m600 etc) is odd in a business device, though.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:25 AM

puterman is on a distinguished road
This case of this device looks exactly like the 6120. I'm not so sure if the house is a good pictorial representation of the appshell, but then again, I don't know what is.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

I hope this pic is from a trusted source as this phone looks more like a Samsung or Motorola made Windows Mobile device to me, with a photoshopped Nokia logo, and what does 'Exx' mean, most of the leaked images i've seen till now that have turned out to be real, atleast have the correct model number.

Symbian Key has become more like a logo for symbian devices. I don't think they're gonna scrap it and pick a logo thats already being used by a competitor OS.

And why do they have to use that wide samsung like charger pin (don't know if its really USB). How many different charger pins do they plan to create for their phones?

Last edited by Hardeep1singh; 06-09-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: adding some more thoughts...

Old 06-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think leaked picture nearly always look awful. Of course this picture is only rumoured to be the E51. The XML file is the resly confirmation here.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"Symbian Key has become more like a logo for symbian devices. I don't think they're gonna scrap it and pick a logo thats already being used by a competitor OS."

The trouble is consumers don't really know Symbian at all, it's only technology fans like you and me who've heard of it. Maybe a house logo would be more consumer-friendly?
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 09-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Zlatko

It is good thing that Nokia put some function on shortcut keys, but other, in my opinion much more important are removed.

For example pencil (edit) button is very important for me. I frequently swithch between languages, which even with pencil button is difficult. Now when this button is gone language switch will be even more difficult.

Other thing that I can't understand is why Nokia put this QVGA screens even on multimedia phones. My E60 is with resolution 352 x 416 and I love it.

Old 18-09-2007, 10:48 AM
ArtySin

Smile Had an E51 in my hands this morningin my hands this morning

I had Nokia in for a presentation this morning and they showed me the new phone. It's much better than the E50, which I have, and they told me that there is an official Nokia announcement about it today. The phone is much easier to read than the E50 as the text is larger and the phone does much more. It's 3G, has WiFi and the new versions of BTooth as many people alreadt know but the GUI is much better and sharper with the QVGA screen. I'm being given one in the next few days to play with and will report back in a week.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySin View Post
I'm being given one in the next few days to play with and will report back in a week.
Go on then... thrill us... It's 3 weeks later ;-)

Tim

Old 05-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Check this site out guys nokiae51.co.uk

Old 05-11-2007, 04:17 PM

AndyM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Check this site out guys nokiae51.co.uk
It looks dodgy to me. "This site is in no way affiliated with Nokia", yet they have the Nokia logo prominently at the top. No indication of who the site owner is, unless it's the same as the developer (utopiagraphix.co.uk). Who are they that they'd know when the phone is available? And they're collecting email addresses. And the 'unsubscribe' link is broken. And the utopiagraphix site is just a shell at present.

Last edited by AndyM; 05-11-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Ads