All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Best Satnav using internal GPS

Having tried the following - all paid for legit versions, with the latest maps.

Copilot

Route66

Navicore

Navigon

These all use the internal GPS.

Please note this is my opinion, and after a long journey with a fair few short ones.

The winner is -

Navigon.

Reasons why.

First is the menu system. Its very easy and simple to use, and you cant go far wrong. The options you get are not too bad.

Second is the routing. The routing seems to be as good as tomtom. With all the others I have tried, the routes they have done are not as good.

Third is the instructions. I havent had any problem with these, and the timings are set well. Also, it doesnt miss any. And it doesnt seem to suffer from 'slight bend' syndrome. This is where theres a sharp corner on the map, but its not actually a turn, and the sat nav tells you to go 'slightly left' or some such.

Downsides -

Theres no way to add your own POI. This makes it an immediate no for many, and something navigon should definatly address.

You cannot add your own voices. Although you can get the guidance in many different languages, you cannot add comedy ones for example. This doesnt bother me in the slightest, but for some it might.

You cannot scroll to a point on the map and add it as a destination. This is a huge minus for me, but the routing and correct instructions offeset this. Again, this is something navigon need to address.

If navigon could sort out those 3 issues, it would very easily be the best symbian satnav IMO.

As for the others, heres why I didnt get on with them:

Copilot -

Shocking menu system, very bad. Unusable for me, the way the favourites are handled is the best example of how they havent bothered. You cannot 'add' a favourite as such. Every destination you go to is added automatically, and is only named by the detail you use to get there. For example, postcode, and you cannot edit favourites, you can only delete.

So if you dont want something in favourites, you have to delete it, and if you have a lot of favourites, then you have to scroll through them all, and hope you can remember who or what an address/postcode is linked to what.

Routing seemed okish, but had a few of the same issues as Route66.

Route66

Usabilitywise, its brilliant. Map scrolling is great, can scroll to a point on the map and add it, it runs nicely, and the autozoom according to speed is nice.

Sadly, its let down by by actual use on the road. First is postcodes, dispite being the latest version many are completely out.

Next is the fact the routing is screwed. Some trips are ok, but some are a joke. Best example is when I went on the trip to Wales (hour and a half drive) it tells me to take the wrong way to get onto the motorway. Ignoring it, I went the correct direction. When it compensated, it kept telling me to get off at the next juction.

Bad instructions. A few seem to suffer this. First is the 'slight bend syndrome' I mentioned earlier. Route66 has this bad. And when theres is actual turns when it tells you to do this, its very confusing unless you look at the onscreen directions (which you shouldnt have to do). Thing is, its not actually classed as a bend on the map either.

Missing voice instructions. Occasionally, it doesnt tell you to do something. Dispite it being on the map as an actual turn, Ive found it misses voice instruction sometimes, enough to be annoying. I always maintain you should not have to look at the screen.

Navicore

Recently got working (thanks Nashmills) by using a seperate memory card, this was a real let down.

On the whole it looks good, everything you want, POI, scrolling maps able to add points as destinations, and a few other nice things.

However...

The routing seemed ok, but the main problem was bad instructions.

Like route66, it missed a few dispite being on the map. And the other main problem, is that many instructions come late. Main issue being roundabouts. Generally you want to know what exit you need to be in a while before you get to it. Yes, you could look at the screen, but voice should be good enough.

I couldnt see anything in the options to change this. Often theres options to change the amount of time of instructions before the turn/roundabout etc. Couldnt see any in navicore.

Late instructions and missing instructions make it a no go for me, dispite being good in all the other areas. Oh, and it also suffers a bit from the 'slight bend syndrome', but not as bad as route66.

It also seems to have issues with other satnav software. Mine would not work unless I used another memory card with nothing on there bar navicore. However, on my main memory card I removed all route66 stuff and it still didnt work. So it may have problems with such things like viewranger. I couldnt be bothered to mess about anymore, so I cannot confirm this theory.

It does have realtime traffic re-routing, but I didnt try this as my data charges are a joke.

Another minor annoyance is that it doesnt show road/streetnames when driving or on the map when scrolling.

Please note these tests were done using a 6110 navigator, but since its using the same GPS chipset and software (S60 V3) as the N95, I thought it relevant.

Tests were done on the same journey to and from a location in Wales which is an hour and a bit driving on motorways and rural roads. Also many trips to and from work, which is short.

All options where checked beforehand (such as tolls, method of transport, avoid motorways etc) and set to the same. No other programs were running, and none seemed to suffer from any slowdown or anything.

And I say again that the above is my opinion, and havent seemed to suffer the things I have with some of them. Perhaps Im just picky.

Prices: (UK maps)

Navicore £93 (I got a 2006 version with BT reciever from ebay for £25, and the upgrade was around £33). edit: its currently available for £67 download version

Navigon £69.99 but thats for the whole of europe.

Copilot £69.99

Route66 was preinstalled on my phone.

Hope this helps some people.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 28-08-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Old 27-08-2007, 09:47 AM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Big thanks for the hard work, bartmanekul!
Working ceaselessly and tirelessly for the N95 community -
BARTMAN!

Old 27-08-2007, 10:24 AM

Alpha4 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Bartman, great roundup.

I too, am p*ss*d off with the "Go Slightly Right" instruction from the built-in Nokia N95 Maps app. WTF does it mean? Is it a political instruction? If I did obey this instruction, I would get into all sorts of trouble.

Is the built in Nokia 'Maps' app based on Route 66? Anyway I have had to buy and install TomTom 6 (paired with an external GPS Blueooth unit), the clincher being when Nokia Maps wanted to route me in a massive 5 mile circle in order to get me home, when my house was about 0.5 miles away down the road and round a corner! I could virtually see my house

If it does this on a route I know and roads I am very familiar with, who knows how much petrol I'll burn when I follow it to get somehwere I don't know?

Also I really MUST have speed, sorry safety, camera warnings, especilly on unfamiliar routes.

Old 27-08-2007, 11:05 AM

eezray is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

thanks bart. nice job.

if you can adds some pic will be great ++++++

Old 27-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks all.

I'll post some pics soon, but I would like to make a suggestion -

Can people email navigon - http://www.navigon.com/ asking that they add the ability to add POI and be able to scroll the map and add a destination that way also?

The more people that ask, the more likely they are to add it. If it had those features, it would by far beat tomtom. And remember, its £69.99 (download version) for the whole of europe. You dont see that often.

Pictures to follow, special requests welcome. But bear in mind I no longer have copilot, so cannot do any screenies of that.

Alpha -

Its possible nokia maps are based off route66, but I dont know. However I have my suspicions that its down to coding. Perhaps a turn of certain degrees triggers off an instruction (like, turn slightly left etc). Its my belief that some satnav software isnt coded as well of tomtom (or navigon) as they seem to bring up these annoying oddities. So far tomtom (on my pda) and navigon are the only ones that dont seem to suffer from this. Thats my theory anyway.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 27-08-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Old 27-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Route66

Screenies - please bear in mind this is the 6110 version bundled with it, so there maybe some small differences from the bought version.

I will post some driving ones...after Ive been driving! Remember, anyone wants something in particular, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0021.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	3806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0022.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	3807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0023.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	3808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0024.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	3809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0025.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	3810  

Old 27-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Navigon

As said, driving pics will come later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot0030.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	3811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0029.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	3812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0028.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	3813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0027.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	3814  

Old 27-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Navicore

Driving pics later. If I remember the seperate memory card
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot0031.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	3815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0032.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	3816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0033.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	3817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0035.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	3818  

Old 27-08-2007, 11:54 AM

nashmills is on a distinguished road
In Navicore's defence the download version costs 99 (67) and it does include real time traffic re-routing. I agree about roundabouts though.

Old 27-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

I admit I never saw that (did they add it recently?). I'll change my original post.
Ads

Old 27-08-2007, 12:56 PM

daffie is on a distinguished road
Bart, thanks for the extensive review, it's very helpfull as I'm looking around for the best navigation software. A question, how does the Powersave option work ?

Old 27-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Assuming your on about Navicore, when its set to 'on' the backlight is off until an instruction is given. For example, if your driving down the motorway, the backlight would be off until it tells you to take a junction.

Old 27-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Assuming your on about Navicore, when its set to 'on' the backlight is off until an instruction is given. For example, if your driving down the motorway, the backlight would be off until it tells you to take a junction.
Ah I somehow thought the screenshots were from Navigon software. I understand its Navicore. Nice feature though !

Old 27-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

The names are alike, which often got me saying one when I meant the other.

On the posts with pictures, it says in bold at the title which satnav software its from.

Old 27-08-2007, 08:19 PM

Just wondering why Nokia Maps navigation software wasn't included ? Any reason other than that it's not one of the "regular" navigation software on the market.