All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-08-2007, 11:28 PM

mrktool is on a distinguished road
no lcd screen protection. rediculous.

I find it amazing that the n95 has no protection of its lcd screen! i was walking home from work today with my n95 in my pocket when there was a sudden but severe downpour of heavy rain and during the 10 minutes i was stuck in this i got home, took my n95 out of my pocket and noticed the screen was all distorted and full of water where it had got in through the sides of the lcd screen. my screen now no longer works and i'm worried that my insurance will not cover it as it does not cover water damage.

how can nokia justify making a phone so vulnerable to water that it gets ruined just sitting in a slighly damp pocket from a rainy day?

Old 16-08-2007, 06:44 AM

torsen is on a distinguished road
Yes the screen is extremely vulnerable to fluid ingress. I had this problem after cleaning my screen once, the only good thing is that new ones aren't to expensive and if you are willing to take a T5 torx to it, they are very easy to replace. Bad design.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:56 AM

cocaine is on a distinguished road
I was just amazed to that when I purchased my N95 and took it out the box, it didnt even have a film of tape or anything covering the screen or camera at all

Old 16-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Is there not some sort of compound that you could very carefully inject along the sides of the screen to make it a bit more resistant?

Old 16-08-2007, 12:36 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
I think to complain about this is pretty pathetic. The screen is less venerable than many others due to the fact that its recessed. Comparing it to my company phone a SE K610i which follows the trend of all SE phones they have plastic over the LCD which is easily scratched. I have had my N95 for a fair few months now and yes it gets a bit smudged but has absolutely no scratches on it.

I dont understand why so many people tend to complain about so much on a phone that simply destroys any other on the market!!

Old 16-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

If you dont complain about flaws, they never get fixed

And I do think there should be a seal around the screen edge. This is a different factor to the screen being scratched.

Old 16-08-2007, 02:09 PM

Nyxmorph is on a distinguished road
So you didn't realise it wasn't waterproof??? ROFL, what a silly boy.

I don't think this is a flaw. There aren't many waterproof phones out there (if any?) and it costs a lot of money in design, and small amount of weight to seal something properly to water.

Old 16-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hes not on about it being totally waterproof, just the screen sealed. Imo this should be sealed, not only for water (just splashing on the screen) but it would help stop any dust getting in immensely.

Old 16-08-2007, 02:21 PM

iball is on a distinguished road
Gee, my old N80i didn't have "screen protection" and it's fine.
Neither do a LOT of Nokia's smartphones and they're all fine.
Matter of fact, the 6600 didn't have this "feature" either.
You ran around in the rain like a chav and whine about the N95 not being waterproof?

Old 16-08-2007, 03:05 PM

coolice is on a distinguished road
Hey,

First of all give up all this stupid talk of people wanting a waterproof phone, they dont! Lets stick the the topic in hand.

No matter how good the N95 is ideally it needed to have some sort of screen protection. I upgraded from an N73 which like the N80 mentioned above had a hard, yet clear plastic over the screen which basically stops the actual LCD screen being scratched and allows easier and safer cleaning.
Also the screen will be better protected against moisture if your are outside in the rain and need to take a call, some people do work outside you know.

Personally I'd like to see another cover made by Nokia with the hard, clear plastic insert over the screen. It can easily be done and even a 3rd party case maker could do the job I am sure and if they do I'd happily buy one.

I have even thought of purchasing another set of covers and trying to stick in my own hard plastic section.

For the moment I fit the hard crystal cases, good idea but break very easily and also have a screen overlay fitted as a backup.

Ian

Old 16-08-2007, 03:23 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
I find cards with the plastic screen cover to stratch a lot easier. My N95 has no scratches on the screen and sometimes jangles about with my keys and other stuff. I dont see the problem that others are moaning about.

dust will gather on the phone anywhere it can but at least with the N95 it doesnt get between the LCD and the plastic cover like on other phones!!

Old 19-08-2007, 09:32 PM

mrktool is on a distinguished road
well, i managed to fix the phone anyway.

since when has anyone said they thought it was waterproof? i don't expect it to be waterproof, but it should be able to withstand mild dampness. i didn't even take the phone out my pocket and it broke.in a country like england the waether changes from sunny to a downpour pretty much instantly, and you should at least be able to have your phone in your pocket without the rain breaking it.

if pretty much just one drop of water gets on the side if the screen, it seeps in under the mirrored bit and screws it up. i've never had any other phone that does that, my n80 definatly didn't.

Old 19-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Halon is on a distinguished road
Oddly, I quite like the lack of protection in a way. As there's no second cover over the screen itself, there's no in between bit for dust and crap to get trapped in... which used to drive me nuts on my N80.
Nokia N97

6600 > 6630 > N70 > N80 > N95 > N95 8GB > N85 > N97
Ads

Old 19-08-2007, 10:39 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
When I am not using my phone it is always in a fleece pouch. It doesn't get scratched by keys and coins, it doesn't get dirty and it gets polished each time I take it out. It can't get wet or splashed and I can also answer and use the phone without removing the pouch!

Old 20-08-2007, 12:43 AM

KingDingaLing is on a distinguished road
Yeah my N80s screen was a sucker for dust but my N95 goes through sum work but still no scratches worth mentioning, when it is raining i tend to put it in a pocket that is dry than the ones that get wet!!!

When you have sumthin like the N95 in your pocket you have to be carefull i feel mine every other minute to make sure it is still there lol !!!