All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-08-2007, 06:50 PM

DagMX is on a distinguished road
P1i refuses to connect to wifi

I just got my hands on a p1i and everythin is workin perfectly except for the wifi.

I use just basic WEP protection with a router connected to a DSL modem. I haven't had any problems with any of my other wi-fi devices(wii, ds, psp etc...) but the wifi on the p1i will not work.

I have set it to infrastructure mode and when I say connect, it will say connected but the middle soft-key will still say connect(I assume it would change to disconect?) and when I try to use the web browser it says the page could not be found.
However when I click on the little 'signal tower' icon on the top, it says I am connected.

Additionaly, I changed the mode to ad-hoc and it managed to transfer one page before giving the same error.

Any advice?
Ads

Old 14-08-2007, 10:40 PM

keanoo is on a distinguished road
Problems with WiFI on P1

I also have som problems with WiFi on P1, but I finally got connected. But - next day I had to reboot my router to connect again to the same shared-WEP connection I used the day before.
Have you punched in the WEP code and put your account in the Internet-group ?

Old 15-08-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanoo View Post
I also have som problems with WiFi on P1, but I finally got connected. But - next day I had to reboot my router to connect again to the same shared-WEP connection I used the day before.
Have you punched in the WEP code and put your account in the Internet-group ?
woohoo, I just changed the wireless router mode to just 802.11b instead of the B+G hybrid mode. Works fine now.

Last edited by DagMX; 15-08-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Old 15-08-2007, 11:49 AM

and yet again the problem comes up..it detects..it connects, no app can acess the connection...
so weird...im puttng it down to an incompatability between the phone and router. any possible fixes guys?

I did a master reset just in case but that didnt help..

Last edited by DagMX; 15-08-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Old 19-08-2007, 03:48 AM

JDesigner is on a distinguished road
I do not have my P1i yet (I should have it Monday). Some basic wireless security setup concerns include: the MAC address list , if one is used - it is not required for WEP, on the router must contain the MAC address of the phone. The WEP key must be the correct length for the encryption bit used (128 bit encryption requires a longer key length than 64 bit). The phone may only have 64 bit encryption and the router is set to 128 or vice versa, but not as likely. Is DHCP an option on the phone or is the IP hard-set?

Last edited by JDesigner; 19-08-2007 at 03:52 AM.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:12 PM

Wifi works when security is not

I found that my P1i will connect to my home network when security is disabled on the router. I have not tried WEP security yet but the WPA does not work.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:37 PM

Symbian Sam is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue as well.

Have a wireless accesspoint I have used with several phones (nokia), but it does not work with my p1i, or to be more specific, it works if I uninstall the wifi drivers, then reinstall them and create a new AP. Then I can connect and use it until the computer has been turned off for the night. When I turn it back on I can connect to the AP fine but no application can access the internet.
Really fustrating!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:55 AM

How I got my P1i on the web

I wanted to provide more info about the settings that enabled my P1i to connect. I had to obtain some info and make some changes to the router before I could configure the phone. I have an address range defined on the router, which is excluded from DHCP so I chose an IP that is free within this range. I wrote down the primary and secondary DNS IP addresses (not the LAN side address i.e. not a 192.168.x.x or other public IP address), and disabled security (authentication), which of course is just to run the test. I was then able to configure the phone. I created an Internet Account matching my network SSID. For the new account I set the IP to the free IP obtained earlier. I then set the DNS IPs’ and the subnet mask. I also disabled power save for the network account and the P1i finally connected! The phone displays a "blue ball" in the status area when connected to the Internet. I tested the connection for about 45min then turned authentication back on using WPA. I am guessing that WPA will probably not work on the P1i's 802.11b radio, as it is a newer type of authentication. I have not tried either type of WEP authentication yet. If anyone figures out which WEP authentication type works, then let the rest of us know.

Old 29-09-2007, 02:21 PM

r8xas is on a distinguished road
Guys have you tried to look for the WEP code under your router? it is estated there, correct me if im wrong. But that was in my case. Hope this help

Old 04-11-2007, 08:11 AM

ioane is on a distinguished road
There are two types of problems here:
1. the case where the phone does not connect to the router. And that is solvable by an carefull configuration with IPs and DNSs and types of encrption used (by the way, WPA does NOT work, just WEP, or......well...no encryption )
2. the second case, when the phone gets connected and the "blue ball" is displayed. This is the most annoying, because the browser still won't work.
DagMX has this second problem. I also have this problem and didn't manage to solve it. Im still waiting for an answer or a solution from Sony Ericsson Customer Support Service.
If any of you finds out anything.........
Bye all!

Old 04-11-2007, 08:12 AM

ioane is on a distinguished road
Blue ball yes, browser no

There are two types of problems here:
1. the case where the phone does not connect to the router. And that is solvable by an carefull configuration with IPs and DNSs and types of encrption used (by the way, WPA does NOT work, just WEP, or......well...no encryption )
2. the second case, when the phone gets connected and the "blue ball" is displayed. This is the most annoying, because the browser still won't work.
DagMX has this second problem. I also have this problem and didn't manage to solve it. Im still waiting for an answer or a solution from Sony Ericsson Customer Support Service.
If any of you finds out anything.........
Bye all!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:52 AM

m1pui is on a distinguished road
I started off having trouble, but eventually, I've managed to get mine connected to three different wireless points.

I found that the P1i wouldn't work with WPA2-PSK encryption but it worked fine on all of them when I changed to WPA-PSK in the settings.

Hope this helps
Pui

Old 05-11-2007, 05:12 PM

Sekra is on a distinguished road
About someone saying in a post here that WPA doesnt work its not true.
I got logged in at my school to the WLAN using WPA (WPA Enterprise). The only problem I had was that I had to login to a specific domain which there wasnt any setting but I was able to solve this with the help of our school helpdesk. Using username<at-symbol>domain (could not post the correct symbol (no <> naturally) since I dont have enough posts in these forums since it thinks its a email) I was able to login to the wlan and everything worked just fine then.

Getting the correct settings you need to be really careful. If your router has WPA-PSK you have to use WPA-Personal in your P1i. Using WPA-Enterprise is same as "just" WPA. From the page you set the SSID and no encryption/WEP/WPA-PSK/WPA you select next from the lower right corner menu (more? dont know since I use finnish language in the phone) Then there are all the TKIP/AES, PEAP/EAP-TLS/EAP-TTLS/...... and many other setting and after all those you have to set a username and password (when using WPA Enterprise). Be SURE you know ALL these settings from your router and set them to match in your phone and it will work.

Also someone said that the P1i can only connect if channel is set to 1. I've tried at home using channels 1-16 with WEP + TKIP encryption and got it working every time. Also the network at school which uses WPA + TKIP / WPA2 + AES encryption I've been able to connect at channels 2 and 6 (I cannot influence what channels the routers at school use).

In total I have 3 pages of setting I had to set in my P1i to get it to connect and the only way to save the settings is to select next in the last page (if you select the X it will discard any changes made).

Last edited by Sekra; 05-11-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo...

Old 30-03-2008, 08:26 PM

richard.morton is on a distinguished road
Hi There,

If you have control of your Wifi AP try disabling WEP/WPA... make sure you dont have access control lists (MAC locking or MAC white lists) turned on.

then steadily add all the features back.

Also try updating the firmware to the latest available for the AP. There are alot of known issues with early g systems and compatability with b - most of these are fixed in either later firmware or later chipsets (sorry, but you may have to junk the AP)...

I have mine working here with Access Control lists on, WEP on or WPA-PSK on... all of it works no issues at all.

I use a netgear DG824

and I successfully connect to Cisco enterprise gear at work.

Richard

Old 31-03-2008, 09:07 AM

Fate is on a distinguished road
I just changed the wireless router mode to just 802.11b instead of the B+G hybrid mode. Works fine now!!!!!