All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-08-2007, 11:49 PM

nickmon is on a distinguished road
NOKIA Maploader error message...?

When I click on the Nokia Map Loader icon on my desktop after I have connected my N95 via the USB cable I keep geeting this message:

"No storgae medium detected. Connect your device to your computer via USB usding date transfer mode or insert the memory card into a card reader and restart Map Loader. Remember that you need ot use the Maps application at least once with your device or memory card before using Nokia Map Loader. Nokia Map Loader will now close."

This is frustrating since my PC cleary does detect the N95 connected yet the Map Loader says it isnt. I'm confused. Any suggestions?

Old 12-08-2007, 12:11 AM

tonymy01 is on a distinguished road
And did you put your phone into mass storage mode, as was suggested, or just left it at the default PC-Suite (which won't work)?

Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 AM

nickmon is on a distinguished road
Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymy01 View Post
And did you put your phone into mass storage mode, as was suggested, or just left it at the default PC-Suite (which won't work)?
Well when I select "Mass Storage" I get another error message this time on the phone itself saying "No memory card available. Unable to activate mass storage mode."

Now I don't have a memory card, but given that it gives the option to use a device or memory card I did not think a memory card was essential!
Ads

Old 12-08-2007, 10:11 AM

tonymy01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmon View Post
Well when I select "Mass Storage" I get another error message this time on the phone itself saying "No memory card available. Unable to activate mass storage mode."

Now I don't have a memory card, but given that it gives the option to use a device or memory card I did not think a memory card was essential!
Don't they all come with cards?
Anyway, maps are around the 100meg or so, so will only fit onto a microSD card. The application can install either on the card or into the main memory, as the application itself is lucky to be a few meg.
You need an external card for any maps progs unless you have found a tiny map that fill fit into internal memory!
Regards

Old 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM

superswede is on a distinguished road
Well as said earlier, you may come up with an storage issue quite fast since internal memory is only about 100MB. Depends on which maps you want to download though. There are country maps that will fit on this (for instance Norway where I live. At least if you only download south part...).

Now to the 'can't download issue'..:
1. Have you done what the error message tells you to? That is "...Remember that you need to use the Maps application at least once with your device or memory card before using Nokia Map Loader.." before you try to download the maps???

This simply means that you first, before you connect your N95 and try to download, have to have started the Maps application on your N95 at least once in order have it create the required folders and files on the device to make it "recognizable" by Map Loader.

2. Since you don't have a memory card in N95 you have to select 'data transfer mode' when connecting N95 to computer and before starting Map Loader.
-----------------------------
N95 << W950i << N70 <<...

Last edited by superswede; 12-08-2007 at 05:43 PM.