All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-08-2007, 01:57 AM

Damo2k is on a distinguished road
Get MSN Messenger on unbranded Nokia N73 on 3 Ireland

This is how to install MSN Messenger for an unbranded Nokia N73 on the 3 Ireland mobile after it has been flashed with unbranded firmware... bypassing that certification crap :-)

Transfer both the JAD and the JAR file in the zip across to the phones memory via PC-Suite/File Manager.

On the phone use the Tools/File Mgr. to browse to the files. Open the JAD file (not the JAR) to proceed with the installation of MSN Messenger for the 3 ireland network. Note, this is the same application that you had installed with the branded firmware prior to un-branding the phone so your accessing MSN through 3's network, therfore your MSN messages go through for free. You are using the same service on the same phone so I don't know why 3 blocked installing MSN on the unbranded (and less buggy) firmware.

Tested on:

Nokia N73 on 3 Ireland
V4.0726.2.0.1

Note: Use at your own risk, I don't want tons of emails saying you bricked your phone. Always scan files.

DOWNLOAD: damoreilly.bravehost.com/MMG.N73.3ROI.zip

My reason for posting this is that 3 refused to give me any indication as to when they were gonna update their old buggy out of date branded firmware. I was just been told that when its out, its out. The current firmware on the Nokia N73 for 3 Ireland is very buggy, eg, powering of phone when in silent mode crashes the phone, camera can cause crashes, mp3+voice tone crashed the phone and many more. So i went ahead and updated my phone to the latest unbranded firmware. I was then unable to install MSN Messenger from 3's site due to a certification error. go figure :-P Come on 3!. So hopefully by this post, you'll get back on MSN usung the above :-)

Damo
damienreilly { at } gmail.com
Ads

Old 14-11-2007, 01:59 AM

geraldo_zahran is on a distinguished road
Hi Damo,

Thanks for the post.
I'm also having trouble with 3's old firmware and getting MSN to work on a unbranded new one.
Do you have any idea on how can I make it work on 3's network in the UK.
I've tried your files: they install smothly, but when I'm trying to connect to MSN I get the message: 'Cannot connect to service, this may be due to incorrect settings or roaming restrictions.'

Thanks a lot,