All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 PM

avensys is on a distinguished road
Few quick questions from new E90 user

Hi everyone,

had my E90 a few days now and there are a few issues I'm struggling with.

Any recommend screen protectors in UK?

How do I view the firmware version (about doesn't show it)?

How do I know if 3G or HSPDA (or GPRS/EDGE) is in use (I know that 3G shows when in 3G mode)?

Any recommended BT stereo headset that can also be used for calls? Audio quality should be no worse than the bundled earphones. Don't like the earpiece type, prefer those that clip over the ear. Prefer them to have an answer/hangup button ideally that would play/pause the mp3 player.

What does setting the "packet data connection" to "when available" instead of the default "when needed" supposed to do? On mine it just stopped GPRS web acess working. Do I need to enter something in "access point" just underneath as that currently says "none".

Finally, my main bug is constantly having to use the "options button" on the side of the screen with my thumb by taking it from the scroll pad. Very clumsy on internal use but excellent on external use.

Kind regards,

Mark

Old 03-08-2007, 04:23 PM

bassist_x is on a distinguished road
Hi i got a question does the internal keyboard scratch the internal screen?

Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
@avensys

1. FW version check, type *#0000#

2. Martin Fields Overlap Plus is very good (screen protector)

3. The signal strength meter display also tell you if you are using 3g or 3.5g by actually displaying the text "3g" or "3.5g"

4. I think the Nokia web site can be used to send settings for your internet connection settings

Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 PM

Hi,

thanks for the tips. have ordered the suggested screen protector for the internal screen. they don't list one for the external screen though. Any suggestion for a good quality one?

I haven't seen 3.5G show up yet on Orange or the brief test with T-mobile. Is there anyway to find out where 3.5G coverage is available?

Kind regards,
Mark

Old 06-08-2007, 06:50 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
You could call the operator's customer service and ask them for their HSDPA (3.5G) coverage info/maps (if they support it in the first place).

Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 PM

steffi is on a distinguished road
When I bought my e90 they simply took a duopod's screenprotector and cut it to the right size. Works like charm and they spent a rather long time making sure it was a precise fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avensys View Post
Hi everyone,

had my E90 a few days now and there are a few issues I'm struggling with.

Any recommend screen protectors in UK?

How do I view the firmware version (about doesn't show it)?

How do I know if 3G or HSPDA (or GPRS/EDGE) is in use (I know that 3G shows when in 3G mode)?

Any recommended BT stereo headset that can also be used for calls? Audio quality should be no worse than the bundled earphones. Don't like the earpiece type, prefer those that clip over the ear. Prefer them to have an answer/hangup button ideally that would play/pause the mp3 player.

What does setting the "packet data connection" to "when available" instead of the default "when needed" supposed to do? On mine it just stopped GPRS web acess working. Do I need to enter something in "access point" just underneath as that currently says "none".

Finally, my main bug is constantly having to use the "options button" on the side of the screen with my thumb by taking it from the scroll pad. Very clumsy on internal use but excellent on external use.

Kind regards,

Mark

Old 07-08-2007, 12:19 PM

GavinK151 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post
4. I think the Nokia web site can be used to send settings for your internet connection settings
I am about to become a new E90 user too ( moving from my Orange branded N95 to an unlocked E90)

Is is safe to just move my SIM car over? its 3G as far as I know....

Does the nokia site have settings needed for all aspects of your device on each service provider? I.e. all the right numbers for Orange/Tmobile etc...? Anyone know the site address?

Old 07-08-2007, 02:59 PM

KevinK151

Moving your Orange SIM to an unlocked E90 is a doddle. i did it and all the correct settings automatically appeared.

Kind regards,

Mark

Old 07-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
KevinK151

Moving your Orange SIM to an unlocked E90 is a doddle. i did it and all the correct settings automatically appeared.

Kind regards,

Mark
Awsome! thanks for that - sounds almost too easy :-) all the numbers appeared etc for orangeinternet and so on?

Old 07-08-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinK151 View Post
Awsome! thanks for that - sounds almost too easy :-) all the numbers appeared etc for orangeinternet and so on?
Yep, I just had to change the APN "orangeinternet" to my preference "internetvpn", but that is optional.

It is really, really easy. Even got my laptop connecting via BT for Internet access and VPN to the office.

The only problem with Orange is the really poor data plan when compared to T-Mobile or now even Vodafone.

Kind regards,

Mark

Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 PM

ScottE90 is on a distinguished road
Vodafones tarrif seems very good.

i have unlimted internet added to my account, and that gives me upto 3gig per month (100meg a day), and i think thats 25quid/month...

not going to take long at 350k/sec though, it flies in 3.5g mode... god only knows how bad 3g mode is, i hope i dont ever have to find out, or god forbid, basic gprs lol...

Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yep, I just had to change the APN "orangeinternet" to my preference "internetvpn", but that is optional.
Mark
Cool, looking forward to trying it - E90 still not arrived in the post yet!

So does anyone know if SIM cards are all standard nowadays then? I believe there are 2g and 3g SIM cards - but are 3g and 3.5g SIM cards the same thing for example?

Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
@ScottE90,

Sorry to tell you this but 384kbps is the max speed for a 3G data connection if you are are using HSDPA you should see speeds between 1.8mbps all the way up to 7.2mbps by the end of the year. The speed you have quoted is merely 3G not HSDPA speed not even close.

Marc
Ads

Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinK151 View Post
So does anyone know if SIM cards are all standard nowadays then? I believe there are 2g and 3g SIM cards - but are 3g and 3.5g SIM cards the same thing for example?
Hi,

Orange do both 2G and 3G SIM cards. Either work in 2G or 3G phones but using a 2G SIM in a 3G phome limits it to 2G voice/data (obviously).

A 3G SIM will get 3.5G data when available.

Talking of which, I still haven't found out how to tell if I'm getting 3.5G. A previous replies says it should change from "3G" to "3.5G" on the display but looking in the detailed manual for the E90 doesn't list this as a valid symbol. It does show the difference between GPRS and EGPRS though.

The Vodafone data plan I mentioned gives 120MB for 7.50 per month. Also, I believe that Vodaphone and Orange will share their 3G network but I don't think that is active today as I could get an Orange 3G signal but only a Vodafone 2G signal.

Kind regards,

Mark