Old 31-07-2007, 10:48 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Batteries!

Some stuff you might find interesting!
www.blogn95.blogspot.com

Old 31-07-2007, 11:56 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer did you swap batteries?

from phone to phone .. to test the discharge rate. If they stayed in their original phone then you ought to retest and change them to an alternate phone.

but very interesting test. I have to say I keep mine fully charged - have adapter at the office / car and home.

Cheers!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 AM

I didn't change them and I'm not sure what that would have achieved! I suppose it could have high lighted a dodgy charger/phone circuit pairing, but, to be honest I could have some under par batteries in the test! Had to make some assumptions! I will swap batteries and do it again soon.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Nice job, and very interesting. I like to do stuff like that myself. That's how I found out that the original N95 battery goes on for 5 hours using R66, while the cheap ones on eBay only lasts for about 3 (I have two of them)

Anyway, if you are going to repeat that test, I am extremely interested in hearing if you get the same results.

Another test would be to charge using USB instead of the original 800mAh charger. I am quite sure that does cut down the standby time by a considerable margin.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
Nice job, and very interesting. I like to do stuff like that myself. That's how I found out that the original N95 battery goes on for 5 hours using R66, while the cheap ones on eBay only lasts for about 3 (I have two of them)

Anyway, if you are going to repeat that test, I am extremely interested in hearing if you get the same results.

Another test would be to charge using USB instead of the original 800mAh charger. I am quite sure that does cut down the standby time by a considerable margin.
Thanks!
With regard to the USB charging as it only gives 500Mah it struggles to get to full and as the phone is on as well it is always "using and loosing" if you get my meaning! This why the 800Mah wall charger is more effective!
I have noticed that if you full charge with the wall charger and then change to USB you can get the battery full message!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 PM

systemx is on a distinguished road
I guess then Logically once its been on the USB for a while turn the phone off and let it peak out, However that is fairly impractical for phone usage but nevertheless one way to achieve a decent charge.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemx View Post
I guess then Logically once its been on the USB for a while turn the phone off and let it peak out, However that is fairly impractical for phone usage but nevertheless one way to achieve a decent charge.
It will do it without turning off! I use my phone as a modem and when disconnecting from the wall charger and connecting to the laptop and USB I quite often see battery full!
Also the difference between full and nearly full is so small in capacity terms!

Old 01-08-2007, 02:07 PM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Interesting test, thanks PA49.

I used to only charge from flat, but have now switched to keeping it plugged in a much as poss after what you have said before and also reading about it on Wikipedia and other sources.

I haven't been keeping it charged for that long yet so can't comment on how long the battery will last without charging it and as I plug it in at every opportunity, it doesn't die anyway.
Ads

Old 01-08-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
Interesting test, thanks PA49.

I used to only charge from flat, but have now switched to keeping it plugged in a much as poss after what you have said before and also reading about it on Wikipedia and other sources.

I haven't been keeping it charged for that long yet so can't comment on how long the battery will last without charging it and as I plug it in at every opportunity, it doesn't die anyway.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:09 AM

tonymy01 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I had a small problem with my non-genuine battery too.
I wondered whether that Ebay battery/desktop stand/usb charger/car charger was any good.. and I also wondered whether that desktop stand actually had the intelligence in it to charge a lithium ion battery, well I don't think it does :-)

I put the battery into the stand, then fell asleep for 6hours, woke up, saw the red LED on the stand still, and a nice bulge on the battery, thank goodness I didn't put the original Nokia battery in that thing! In the past, I have seen that red LED go green (when charging that second batter), so buggered if I know what intelligence it has in it... but it appears not too much ;-)
I tried the battery in the phone (well, it kind of fit at an angle) and it still works! I am almost thinking of hammering the bulge out of it and keep it as an emergency spare battery still... but maybe an original battery is a better option ;-) Don't want that thing bulging again like that inside the phone!

Old 02-08-2007, 07:49 AM

Wow! That battery looks... Battered!

As stated above, I have bought cheap batteries off eBay and found that they were no good. So instead I paid the extra and bought an original Nokia BL-5F, also on eBay, from a UK source. I used it yesterday for the first time, but it collapsed after only a few hours of usage. Weird...

When I got back home, I compared it to the BL-5F that came with the N95. They are not identical, even though they both have the hologram sticker. The labels are different, and so are the pins. I then compared to one of the unoriginal BL-5F I got earlier and guess what? They are EXACTLY identical!

The conclusion? Even though you buy an 'original' Nokia battery with hologram sticker and original looking packaging from an European source, you can still end up with useless copied cr@p. So buyer beware!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:15 AM

Here is the back:

I knew this was coming from China, so was suprised to see that they had attempted to fake the original look of the battery with a "Made in Hungary" label, LOL!
I noticed the pins were dodgy too, in fact, it wouldn't work in the phone until I got a small needle into the pins to bend them inwards a bit so they would make contact with the pins in the phone!
The performance (while it was alive) was about 40% of the original battery, but then again, I rarely used it, so may not have gotten to the performance sweet spot that LiIons tend to do after a week or so of usage.
Cheers

Old 02-08-2007, 08:49 AM

I have done a few pictures of my batteries and below you see the result. I have marked the batteries so they can be identified on each picture. The one with a piece of scotch tape on the top (the upper one on all pictures) is the original that came with my phone. The one with the tape on the side is the so-called original I just got from eBay, and the unmarked is the cheapo from eBay.

HQ picture, for more details:
http://i13.tinypic.com/53shoxs.jpg

Old 02-08-2007, 09:50 AM

Interesting that you got the hologram on the fake... ebay, full of crap hey!
Here is one last shot of mine, a lot of "air" inside that packaging (those black bits are foam rubber strips).

Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 AM

That would explain the low capacity. They fill the container with foam instead of cells