All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 31-07-2007, 12:16 AM
gnyd gnyd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
gnyd is on a distinguished road
Can't reinstall some apps - "expired certificates"

After a hard reset on my N95, at least half of my careful "backup to memory card" failed to reinstall.

OK, reinstall from original files, right? Some worked, but several installs failed due to "expired certificates". They can't all be expired, as several were installed only a few days ago. How can I get around this?

  #2  
Old 31-07-2007, 12:21 AM
avithe1 avithe1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 76
avithe1 is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Not sure about this, but did you set the correct date and time after the hard reset?

  #3  
Old 31-07-2007, 12:36 AM
alex55 alex55 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17
alex55 is on a distinguished road
I git the same problem to install Calcium.... and the date war correct.... Than I searched on this forum and find a topic about it. they sugested me to change the date back, reinstall Calcium and correct the date again... It worked!!!! just a couple of months will work.... 2005 for example is too far away and it won't work.... so try some dates until you can install it....

  #4  
Old 31-07-2007, 03:14 AM
waspin waspin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
waspin is on a distinguished road
7-8 months back is enough

  #5  
Old 31-07-2007, 04:05 AM
gnyd gnyd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
gnyd is on a distinguished road
Hey, thanks!

This worked, even for a couple of apps which hadn't mentioned the expired certificates.

I took the date back 6 months - probably more than enough, as phone is 2 months old.

  #6  
Old 31-07-2007, 04:14 PM
pa49 pa49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 400
pa49 is on a distinguished road
The problem is caused by back up and restore across a debrand or firmware upgrade!
You put back the app settings for the previous version. Re installing the apps created a new time log that didn't match the ones you restored! So cert expired came up. Better to not use the back up and restore or the content copier! Keep your apps installed to phone will help them run quicker and without problems too.

  #7  
Old 31-07-2007, 07:00 PM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,686
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnyd View Post
After a hard reset on my N95, at least half of my careful "backup to memory card" failed to reinstall.

OK, reinstall from original files, right? Some worked, but several installs failed due to "expired certificates". They can't all be expired, as several were installed only a few days ago. How can I get around this?
100% of JAR (JAVA) apps need reinstalled from the original JAR/JAD files (using PC Suite).

About 25% of SIS/SISX Applications need reinstalled using PC Suite and the original SIS/SISX/CD

I don't know why this is but it's been like that on every Nokia symbian handset I have owned.

Tip: Collect all your SIS/SISX/JAR files and ZIP them up with Winzip, then copy yhis ZIP file to the N95 Memory Card. That way you always have the manual re-install files handy if needed - e.g. after a FW upgrade or format of Internal Memory.
__________________
Phone History: Nokia 3310,7650, 6680, N70, N80, N95, N83, N96, N97...? HTC_Desire (with FroYo 2.2)

  #8  
Old 31-07-2007, 07:27 PM
mwice mwice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 58
mwice is on a distinguished road
if you have (i guess you have ??) signsis.exe, run it over .sis file you gonna to install, something like this
signsis -o -v <app.sis> - it will show you certs used and date of expire. all you need is to set phone's date
to interval you see.
Ads

  #9  
Old 31-07-2007, 07:29 PM
mwice mwice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 58
mwice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Tip: Collect all your SIS/SISX/JAR files and ZIP them up with Winzip, then copy yhis ZIP file to the N95 Memory Card. That way you always have the manual re-install files handy if needed - e.g. after a FW upgrade or format of Internal Memory.
Why to zip them ? Do you mean phone will try to auto-install every .sis on memory card ???

  #10  
Old 31-07-2007, 10:38 PM
pa49 pa49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 400
pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
100% of JAR (JAVA) apps need reinstalled from the original JAR/JAD files (using PC Suite).

About 25% of SIS/SISX Applications need reinstalled using PC Suite and the original SIS/SISX/CD

I don't know why this is but it's been like that on every Nokia symbian handset I have owned.

Tip: Collect all your SIS/SISX/JAR files and ZIP them up with Winzip, then copy yhis ZIP file to the N95 Memory Card. That way you always have the manual re-install files handy if needed - e.g. after a FW upgrade or format of Internal Memory.
That last ones a beaute, Dez.
I do have a folder for that pupose, but, I don't zip. Have to look at that!

  #11  
Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 AM
gnyd gnyd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
gnyd is on a distinguished road
pa49, this was just a hard reset, not a firmware upgrade or debrand.

It also meant that I lost several minor carrier-related apps, no great problem.

I know that Nokia's backup & restore process is extremely flaky, so I half expected this, though it is annoying. Getting back to the setup I originally had, has taken many hours, and I have lost all my old messages, log, etc. Not a disaster, but just an irritation, and one I would rather be without. There's a lot I like about this phone, but there's a big downside too.

  #12  
Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 AM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,686
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwice View Post
Why to zip them ? Do you mean phone will try to auto-install every .sis on memory card ???
No, I ZIP them to save space, but you could just as easily just create a folder on the Memory Card and drop the SIS and JAR files into there.

If you have all your SIS and JAR files handy on the memory card (less than 25Mb in my case for 20+ apps), then you can re-install any app manually, even when there's no PC nearby with PC Suite installed.
__________________
Phone History: Nokia 3310,7650, 6680, N70, N80, N95, N83, N96, N97...? HTC_Desire (with FroYo 2.2)

  #13  
Old 01-08-2007, 07:56 AM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,686
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa49 View Post
That last ones a beaute, Dez.
I do have a folder for that pupose, but, I don't zip. Have to look at that!
I could never find (the correct version) of all my N95 apps on my PC months after originally downloading & installing them. I tend to download loads of apps if someone mentions them in the forum, but discard most of them and have around 20 I use regularly, and want to keep installed on the MicroSD.

I got sick of hunting around my PC Internet Downloads folders or on Backup DVDs after each FW upgrade, so I hit on the (fairly obvious) idea of keeping all the regularly used application install files on the memory card itself.
__________________
Phone History: Nokia 3310,7650, 6680, N70, N80, N95, N83, N96, N97...? HTC_Desire (with FroYo 2.2)

  #14  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 AM
pa49 pa49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 400
pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
I could never find (the correct version) of all my N95 apps on my PC months after originally downloading & installing them. I tend to download loads of apps if someone mentions them in the forum, but discard most of them and have around 20 I use regularly, and want to keep installed on the MicroSD.

I got sick of hunting around my PC Internet Downloads folders or on Backup DVDs after each FW upgrade, so I hit on the (fairly obvious) idea of keeping all the regularly used application install files on the memory card itself.
Exactly my experience!
I keep a folder on the desktop and d/l everything to it and if I try them and they are not usable I delete leaving the others as keepers!
But it isn't fool proof. Well, not for this fool!
__________________
blogn95.blogspot.com
http://bloge51.blogspot.com/

  #15  
Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 AM
pa49 pa49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 400
pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnyd View Post
pa49, this was just a hard reset, not a firmware upgrade or debrand.

It also meant that I lost several minor carrier-related apps, no great problem.

I know that Nokia's backup & restore process is extremely flaky, so I half expected this, though it is annoying. Getting back to the setup I originally had, has taken many hours, and I have lost all my old messages, log, etc. Not a disaster, but just an irritation, and one I would rather be without. There's a lot I like about this phone, but there's a big downside too.
If you have done a debrand or firmware upgrade without doing a hard reset (always a good idea) and you used backup and restore you would get the problem on the next hard reset you did! Especially if you have apps on your mem card that would otherwise reinstall!
After the hard reset the Phones log of the installs will have been deleted/formatted over and it will need re writing by a fresh install of the apps to tell the system where everything is and what is going on between the card and the phone.
This is one very good reason to install to phone although a format will still remove everything. But, as Dez sez a small folder on you card, with your apps in it, will greatly assist!
I recently did a full reset with format and reinstall took no more than a few minutes!
Settings can be a pain, but, when you get the hang of it even they take a surprisingly small amount of time.
__________________
blogn95.blogspot.com
http://bloge51.blogspot.com/
 

Bookmarks

Tags
apps, expired certificates, reinstall

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
removing java apps. (collaz horoscope) java jazz Nokia 6600 and 6620 2 20-02-2005 06:19 AM
APPS list (Freeware plz) bruce.one Sendo X & X2 38 23-11-2004 11:50 AM
*Project to replace 3rd Party apps icons* da22a Nokia N-Gage and N-Gage QD 1 14-11-2004 08:41 PM
Now available Mobile VB App Booster & More Apps Rafe UIQ 4 06-03-2003 06:32 AM
Comment: I scream, you scream, we all scream for software! SwitchBlade Links of Interest 35 23-09-2002 11:20 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:11 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy