All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-07-2007, 10:01 PM

Alpha4 is on a distinguished road
N95 Music Player - Albums?

Hi Newbie here!

Recently got my new, shiny N95. Does anyone know if you can put albums in separate folders?

When I transfer music using the Nokia PC Suite there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer albums. All the music is in one long list.

On the N95 itself I can't see how separate album folders could be navigated to.

I must be missing something. Can anybody help?

Cheers

Old 28-07-2007, 04:58 PM

Zayshan is on a distinguished road
I didn’t use pc suite to transfer my music because like you I wanted all my music categorised in specific folders. So I transferred my music over manually using the memory card reader. From the pc to the phone just copy and paste! Hope that helps

Old 28-07-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayshan View Post
I didn’t use pc suite to transfer my music because like you I wanted all my music categorised in specific folders. So I transferred my music over manually using the memory card reader. From the pc to the phone just copy and paste! Hope that helps
OK Zayshan thanks. A couple of questions:

Copy to where on the memory card? Which folder should the album folders go in?

How do you navigate to a specific folder with the N95 Music Player. The music library just lists all tracks (regardless of sub-folder) in one long library list.

Or do you use a 3rd Party music player?

Old 28-07-2007, 06:48 PM

I put the memory card in to a reader then on my computer I accessed the memory card and created a folder called ‘my music’ if you already don’t have one. Then I copied all my music albums from my pc and pasted it in to the memory card folder named ‘my music’. Put the memory card back in to the N95 and went to the ‘Music Player’ Once in there press your Options button then select Refresh Music Library. The N95 will search for all the music you have on phone and card, showing you at the end how many music files were updated. Then select Albums and all your music folders should be in there! I don’t use any 3rd party music player or software just copy and paste, hope that helps.

Old 28-07-2007, 06:50 PM

I put the memory card in to a reader then on my computer I accessed the memory card and created a folder called ‘my music’ if you already don’t have one. Then I copied all my music albums from my pc and pasted it in to the memory card folder named ‘my music’. Put the memory card back in to the N95 and went to the ‘Music Player’ Once in there press your Options button then select Refresh Music Library. The N95 will search for all the music you have on phone and card, showing you at the end how many music files were updated. Then select Albums and all your music folders should be in there! I don’t use any 3rd party music player or software just copy and paste, hope that helps.

PS. The reason I'm using a card reader is because it tranfers the music much faster than actualy hooking up the N95 to the pc.

Old 28-07-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayshan View Post

PS. The reason I'm using a card reader is because it tranfers the music much faster than actualy hooking up the N95 to the pc.
Unfortunately that doesn't work very well for me.

I'm talking about creating my own folders (with my own folder name).

For instance, I have a collection of miscellaneous music tracks (might be a mix of Rock, Pop, Jazz, Funk, etc. etc.). So I create a folder called 'Misc' and dump all these mixed tracks in it.

What I expect to happen is that I drag this folder to 'My Music' on the memory card, pop the card in the phone, refresh the library, then navigate to 'Albums' in the Music Player and select the 'Misc' Album/Folder and start playing the tracks.

What actually happens is that there is no 'Misc' Album/Folder to select, instead the 'Albums' function shows each individual album that these miscellaneous tracks are from (along with all the actual separate albums I have)

If I go to 'All Songs' of course, I get all the MP3 tracks listed alphabetically including those from inside each individual album/folder (plus some Audio Books I have) in one long list. Obivously I don't want to play this All Songs list as it will jump from music to audio book etc, as well a splitting album tracks (ie. Beatles - Love) up alphabetically.

It's OK if with my actual standard album folders (ripped from standard CD album), but with a collection of tracks from different albums, it's unusable.

It's pretty simple, all I want to do is navigate to a folder and start playing what's in it. I have a £30 4GB Sansa MP3 Player that understands this, whereas a £400 flagship phone doen't seem to.

Am I still not getting it?

*sorry for the long post*

Old 29-07-2007, 07:24 AM

Have you tried playing these files and folders from within 'file mgr'? can you see all your folders in there?

Old 29-07-2007, 09:09 AM

leeolly is on a distinguished road
I understand what you are saying Alpha4 and i have the same problem and i havent found a solution to it either yet.

When I refresh the music libary after adding some album folders to the mem card it does actually list these as album folders but i also added a folder with various mp3s in it and these single tracks also show up as albums and its very annoying, anyone else know how to get round this??

leeo

Old 29-07-2007, 10:30 AM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
The Nokia music player reads the ID3 tag embedded in each MP3 file you have on your phone. The ID3 tag holds info like track name, artist name, album, type of music etc.

You'll need to get an ID3 tag editor which runs on your PC then edit the album field in each MP3 to show 'misc', copy the music back to the memory card (or edit the files directly on the memory card), put the memory card back in the phone then refresh the music library in the phone.

Here is a good ID3 tag editor.

Old 29-07-2007, 10:37 AM

Well, I have created a playlist and added all the Misc tracks to it.

This does work, but you have to remember which tracks are the odd 'Non-album' tracks and which are members of albums.

For example, it gets a bit tricky if you have a complete Rolling Stones album as well as several other odd Stones tracks. You have to know which is an album track and which isn't.

Also this method is a bit long-winded, especially if you have 500+ tracks to sort out, like I have

Still not an elegant, intuitive solution though.

Old 29-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Thanks, HoundDog. I'll give it a try. Could take some time though :-)

*Edit*
Excellent, this does batch ID3 editing as well. I'll give it a go.

Last edited by Alpha4; 29-07-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 AM

aerofeet is on a distinguished road
Is there a media player available that list songs by file name instead of by ID3 tag?, or is there a way to automatically connect to a database to update teh ID3 tags for a whole music collection?

Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
This is my main issue with the phone actually. With my old SPVC500 I could choose to play music either by ID tag (like with the N95) or by folder. I always used the folder option becuase my tags are not consistant.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one it annoys! (although not glad to hear you're annoyed obviously! )

Maybe in a future firmware update?
Ads

Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 AM

aerofeet is on a distinguished road
Oh I'm annoyed, that's for sure. Adding to the frustration is that, filenames are usually more unique (database keys) to computers than ID3 tags, as the majority of operating systems would not allow multiple files with the same name within the same directory. Whereas duplicate ID3 tags would, however contradictory, not pose a problem.

Sort by filename is one of the most basic algorithms that can be coded into any respectable (beginning to sense my frustration? ) program.

PS: yes, this rant was a cheap bump attempt to try to garner more attention, and breed a solution