All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 AM

quicksilver is on a distinguished road
GPS Issue on E90

I managed to get the offline version of the Maps working and that's fine....
The problem is that when i go MENU>GPS>GPS Data...It start with a small pop up saying - "Searching for GPS Satellites"...stays for a second or so and then opens the application window with 3 icons in it (Navigation, Position, Trip Distance).....plus a pop-up saying "GPS not available".

This is always the case whether i am outdoors or indoors....why is it so? Is this a problem or happening with everyone here?

Then for example if i choose "Position" - I should be seeing all the info right of that particular moment? I don't - It just keeps saying - No Connection or Waiting for GPS. I open the "Satellite status" from the option below and can see a few numbers with bars in front (satellites it find i guess) but the info for "position still doesn;t update or appear.

Kindly help.

Cheers,

Ice

Old 02-07-2007, 07:16 AM

OngL is on a distinguished road
Never had this problem before abt GPS not available. Only when the bar turns into solid black (which mean you get a fix), then you'll get a position with longitude and other information.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:43 AM

aylmer is on a distinguished road
I have 2 E90s now. It does take a while to connect. And yes, you need at least 4 satellite "bars" before you get a fix. And even if you get a fix, it can take as long as 1.5 mins.

Be patient and you will eventually get a connection.

Also, it will then take a while more for the maps to locate where you are and then start downloading. IF you are not using 3G, the download will even take longer!

Just for your info, it took me as long as 5 mins to get the first connection and map loaded up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
The problem is that when i go MENU>GPS>GPS Data...It start with a small pop up saying - "Searching for GPS Satellites"...stays for a second or so and then opens the application window with 3 icons in it (Navigation, Position, Trip Distance).....plus a pop-up saying "GPS not available".

This is always the case whether i am outdoors or indoors....why is it so? Is this a problem or happening with everyone here?

Then for example if i choose "Position" - I should be seeing all the info right of that particular moment? I don't - It just keeps saying - No Connection or Waiting for GPS. I open the "Satellite status" from the option below and can see a few numbers with bars in front (satellites it find i guess) but the info for "position still doesn;t update or appear.

Kindly help.

Cheers,

Ice

Old 02-07-2007, 03:15 PM

In my experience N95 and E90, opening up the unit (slide out in N95 or open the cover in E90) helped to improve GPS fix.

N95 GPS antennae is located just below the keypads (* ) #) Thus if you do not slide open the keypad, the antennae is covered by the screen and thus reception of signal is not good.

Similarly, I get faster fix in E90 when:
1) The cover is 90 degrees open
2) In open area
3) still position (not moving)

Old 02-07-2007, 06:07 PM

capkapak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post

Kindly help.

Cheers,

Ice
I also have this problem but for mine I can see that the unit is trying to get a lock on showing only two satellites available. I still have not gotten a lock but at least it shows that the GPS is working somewhat.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:50 AM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
What about tomtom 6, does it work on the E90 with the built in GPS?

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900

Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 AM

aylmer is on a distinguished road
yes.... agree with Ong.

Helps if the screens is open. But where there are buildings, you may take a while to get a lock... (or sometimes none at all!)

Also, i think the GPS takes a lot of battery..... hmmmm. Not that good technology yet. hmmmm. hope they will upgrade the maps soon or the technology will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capkapak View Post
I also have this problem but for mine I can see that the unit is trying to get a lock on showing only two satellites available. I still have not gotten a lock but at least it shows that the GPS is working somewhat.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 AM

GPS does consume a lot of battery power, (it's warm when GPS is on).
You can't really complain about GPS works poorly in high-rise building. This is a limitation of GPS technology (which is improved with AGPS and land-based GPS transmitter). Keep in mind that it was decades old technology and super high-rise are just in the last decade.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 AM

PDAMad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngL View Post
GPS does consume a lot of battery power, (it's warm when GPS is on).
You can't really complain about GPS works poorly in high-rise building. This is a limitation of GPS technology (which is improved with AGPS and land-based GPS transmitter). Keep in mind that it was decades old technology and super high-rise are just in the last decade.
Too right we can complain. Try it with any $30 SiRFIII Bluetooth receiver. They don't need a clear view of the sky, and can fix in seconds, not minutes. Now tell me the abysmal performance of the GPS in the E90 (and N95) is not Nokia's fault.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:09 PM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDAMad View Post
Too right we can complain. Try it with any $30 SiRFIII Bluetooth receiver. They don't need a clear view of the sky, and can fix in seconds, not minutes. Now tell me the abysmal performance of the GPS in the E90 (and N95) is not Nokia's fault.
All engineering design is compromise between a number of factors, not limited to cost, durability, performance, efficiency and size. The E90 crams a hell of a lot into a small box;it is unsurprising it performs some non-core tasks worse than even cheap dedicated hardware.
Ads

Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

PDAMad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
All engineering design is compromise between a number of factors, not limited to cost, durability, performance, efficiency and size. The E90 crams a hell of a lot into a small box;it is unsurprising it performs some non-core tasks worse than even cheap dedicated hardware.
The E90 is neither small, nor, at a premium price of $1000, cost conscious. All you're getting is an N95 in a big box with a keyboard and extra display. Makes you wonder where that money's going.

Think HTC 3600, 3300, Eten G500, X500, M700, Mio A701, A501, HP 69xx. Ignoring the OS, funny how they all manage to include GPS hardware that doesn't need to be stood still in an open field to get a fix.

All the SiRFIII devices I've had, including those in smartphones, have got an initial lock in under a minute, and a warm start in under 10 seconds. And they can often lock indoors, in a pocket or in the car glove box. And run for hours - not 20 minutes.

There's no denying Nokia did this on the cheap, without paying any attention to performance, just so they could have "GPS" ticked on the sales sheet. Which considering the N95 and E90 cost way, way more than their WM equivalents, (and do less), is a bit of a cheek.

Last edited by PDAMad; 11-07-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 PM

Pit is on a distinguished road
Smile Fixing GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylmer View Post
I have 2 E90s now. It does take a while to connect. And yes, you need at least 4 satellite "bars" before you get a fix. And even if you get a fix, it can take as long as 1.5 mins.

Be patient and you will eventually get a connection.

Also, it will then take a while more for the maps to locate where you are and then start downloading. IF you are not using 3G, the download will even take longer!

Just for your info, it took me as long as 5 mins to get the first connection and map loaded up.
One more thing that can help:

Start Sport Tracker (from Nokia) and you will get the GPS position in 15 Sek. and then switch to GPS - now it will work:-)

I'll don't know why, but it fix the problem:-)

Pitmac

Old 11-07-2007, 10:01 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit View Post
One more thing that can help:

Start Sport Tracker (from Nokia) and you will get the GPS position in 15 Sek. and then switch to GPS - now it will work:-)

I'll don't know why, but it fix the problem:-)

Pitmac
It works because most of the lag in the GPS is due to the crappy Smart2Go software not to the GPS hardware.

You also get a much faster fix with Route66 or Copilot.

Old 14-07-2007, 11:00 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Web Link

besides, the very first fix on GPS takes more than 20 mins, rest in ideal conditions is less than 5 mins here

Old 29-07-2007, 07:14 PM

dragonboy2006 is on a distinguished road
For those new in E-Series 90 and want to try out the GPS but got confuse, I create a small document to help: http://dragonboy2006.blogspot.com/20...lt-in-gps.html