All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-06-2007, 10:08 PM

siboroni is on a distinguished road
n95 as modem can i update firmware

hi,currently my n95 used as a modem is my only internet connection.i was looking to update my firmware on tmobile but if i require an internet connection which will actually be the n95 then this may not work.wondering if not to bother as phone isnt to bad except the odd crash and not being able to hear people callers sometimes,wobbly slider as per alot of people but can live with that 1!.sorry for being a bit dense but does a firmware upgrade require a net connection or is it a file you can download first.dont fancy bricking phone then not being able to get on the net to fix it!.any comments would be appreciated...regards...simon
Ads

Old 22-06-2007, 10:25 PM

superswede is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by siboroni View Post
hi,currently my n95 used as a modem is my only internet connection.i was looking to update my firmware on tmobile but if i require an internet connection which will actually be the n95 then this may not work.wondering if not to bother as phone isnt to bad except the odd crash and not being able to hear people callers sometimes,wobbly slider as per alot of people but can live with that 1!.sorry for being a bit dense but does a firmware upgrade require a net connection or is it a file you can download first.dont fancy bricking phone then not being able to get on the net to fix it!.any comments would be appreciated...regards...simon
You'll need an active internet connection if you're planning to use NSU (and a fast one as well. Last firmware was some 100MB in size...). It downloads the new firmware as step one when the phone is detected and in "update" mode.

When running NSU and detecting the phone the phone is actually switched off so you can of course not use the N95 as a modem while updating firmware.

Old 22-06-2007, 10:27 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
yes it works, conect n95 to pc and let pc suite run and conect, then goto www.nokia.com/pcsuite to get the latest pc suite, then unplug n95 and instal the new pc suite, reconect fone and goto nokia and download the nokia software updater, instal and run the updater, the pc will then download the firmware and n95 will disconect frm net and the pc will start the update, enjoy. If u go over to prodigits.co.uk and join u can see in the s60 forum that ppl have used this method on n70 and n80 and it works fine.

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 22-06-2007, 10:38 PM

siboroni is on a distinguished road
thanks very much for quick replies.not had major use with the phone so still not sure if to bother with update,only thing i could do with fixing is the slow ar*e gallery.will sleep on it an take the plunge tomorrow!.thanks again.regards...simon