All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Opera Mini 4 Beta now available

The beta of Opera Mini 4 is now available from the Opera website. The new version renders a full page overview from which you can then zoom in to read the page (very reminiscent of S60's browser overview / minimap mode). Other new features include the introduction of a mouse and power scrolling making it easier to move around pages and a quick access context menu. Read on for more and screenshots.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 19-06-2007, 10:31 AM

phattrance is on a distinguished road
Make backup of my Opera Mini 4 Beta Bookmarks

does anyone know were in the phone memory opera mini 4 (beta) saves the bookmark files so that i can make a backup of them??? i have a nokia n95

Old 19-06-2007, 10:43 AM

Joar is on a distinguished road
The bookmarks and cookies etc. are stored on the Opera servers - you can thus not back them up. But it seems version 4 is not installed on top of version 3, so any bookmarkes from v. 3 is not deleted.

I assume the article is teseted on a high end Nokia phone. Quite impressive is the conclusion. If you happen to have a high volume phone (like a Nokia S40 phone) like most of the world, I dare say Opera Mini 4 is a major breaktroguh in mobile browsing. It is better than the current Nokia S60 browser in my eyes, but will run on any odd phone and it faster, cheeper to use and free. What more can one ask for?

Old 19-06-2007, 11:02 AM

phattrance is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joar View Post
The bookmarks and cookies etc. are stored on the Opera servers - you can thus not back them up. But it seems version 4 is not installed on top of version 3, so any bookmarkes from v. 3 is not deleted.

I assume the article is teseted on a high end Nokia phone. Quite impressive is the conclusion. If you happen to have a high volume phone (like a Nokia S40 phone) like most of the world, I dare say Opera Mini 4 is a major breaktroguh in mobile browsing. It is better than the current Nokia S60 browser in my eyes, but will run on any odd phone and it faster, cheeper to use and free. What more can one ask for?
yeah the Opera mini 4 is waaay better than the build in browser in s60 and the opera for s60... the only thing that i miss in opera mini 4 is a function to save passwords/logins and a way to cataloging the bookmarks in directories (dir) when you have 80+ bookmarks it takes a while to scroll every time when you want to visit a page

Old 19-06-2007, 11:40 AM

natanlevine is on a distinguished road
Yay!!!
I'm a huge Opera mini fan yet one thing still bothers me.
Where the h*** do they get their money from? It's got to be an evil conspiracy to take over the world somehow. Has anyone got a better explanation for such an awesome free product?

Old 19-06-2007, 11:50 AM

ares is on a distinguished road
They are on the Illuminati payroll, that´s how

Anyhow, great work Opera, has usual...its nice to see another European company kicking serious ass

Old 19-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I believe their money comes from getting payment from search engines when people click on Ads and the like (and other affiliate stuff).

I actually think the S60 Web Browser and Opera Mini are both worthy of being installed.

S60 Web Browser is more powerful and has slightly better rendering (I think it'll even up though) and has better features as some of the other commenters have mentioned... Its a fuller experience, that said for many Opera Mini might be all they need (especially on non flat rate data tariffs).

Old 19-06-2007, 12:56 PM

avithe1 is on a distinguished road
I know it is still Beta, but that minimap like thingi looked very slow on my 6630

Its a J2ME app so it will always be slower than the native S60 3rd Ed (new) browser. Also once addicted to the S60 browser its hard for anyone to use operamini. At times I've even used the S60 browser for internet banking, which I dont think I will ever do with operamini (actually dont know if its even possible or not in opera mini ,all that ssl/https stuff)

Its a gr8 app for other phones I mean S40 , and other brand phones.

Last edited by avithe1; 19-06-2007 at 12:59 PM.

Old 19-06-2007, 02:09 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
I think Opera sell a white label version of this to networks and other service providers.

For example many non-smart phones on T-Mobile use a T-Mob branded version of Opera Mini as the access point for Web N Walk.

Another example is Onspeed who take Opera Mini, give it a horrible green skin and sell it as Onspeed Mobile. (Onspeed sells Internet accelerator software).

By the way has anyone found how install this on an N95? The combined S60 browser doesn't let me get to Opera's WAP based download page, it keeps taking me to the HTML marketing page instead (presumably because it registers as Safari).

Old 19-06-2007, 05:50 PM

LosOutlandos is on a distinguished road
any news of a new version of opera mobile for s60?

Old 19-06-2007, 06:14 PM

Jonnycat26 is on a distinguished road
Actually, the bookmarks are stored *locally* on your phone, not on the opera server... how else would they be there before you connect? They're actually stored in the JAVA RMS store for that particular midlet. I would not try copying them over to another phone.

That said, wow... is there any more reason for the white elephant Nokia browser?

Old 19-06-2007, 06:47 PM
n95user

Nokia Web app - crashes when trying to view larger pages
Opera Mini 4 - haven't been able to crash it yet!

Winner: Opera Mini 4!!

Old 19-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Founder / Chief

If you're having trouble getting it on your N95 try this direct link
http://mini.opera.com/global/opera-m...vanced-int.jar

or download that to PC and use PC Suite

Old 19-06-2007, 08:26 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Oops! I was just being a numpty and entering the wrong URL. Its installed now and its pretty cool. When the rough edges have been knocked off this will become my default browser.

Old 20-06-2007, 06:31 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
My browser crashes if I download something and then save the file. Opera doesn't. Not sure about consumed RAM while browsing, but I guess that the inbuilt browser wins here.