All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
iNokia? - it's Nokia Media Transfer 1.0 beta - for Mac OS!

Here's another big piece of news. Nokia has finally revealed the second half of its Mac OS connectivity strategy, with the release of Nokia Media Transfer 1.0 beta, adding to the existing iSync plugins with full sync of your iTunes music and videos, and your iPhoto images, to your S60 smartphone. There's full file transfer support too, for adding apps and games. Cool, cool, cool..... (via Tommi)

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Macboy

3 weeks until the iPhone. WTF cares anymore.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 AM

rmtwrkr is on a distinguished road
Another half-hearted effort..

Does Nokia realise that their other S60 phones (um, like the E-series) can play music, games, videos, etc? Obviously not, as this software is only designed to work with nokia-designated media-phones. Another weak attempt at trying to fix a problem..

Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
macboy

If you're so convinced the iPhone is so great (which it quite possibly isn't), why do you visit a website devoted to Symbian phones? The iPhone will no doubt be very good at what it CAN do, it's what it CAN'T do that's going to matter to many...

Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
The iPhoto import works fantastic with my N95 and Macbook, not bothered about testing the iTunes support (I prefer my iPod).
I hope they release it for the E-Series as well though, can't see any valid reason for it being N-Series only.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 08-06-2007, 10:23 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy View Post
3 weeks until the iPhone. WTF cares anymore.
Exactly, WTF cares about iPhone?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:44 AM

JuhaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat View Post
I hope they release it for the E-Series as well though, can't see any valid reason for it being N-Series only.
Has anyone tried this with E-series? There should be no problems as it seems to use "PC Suite"-mode for USB-connection and that is available on E-series also. I will try with my E61 this weekend and hope to use this with E90 in a couple of weeks...

=)juha

Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 AM

It does not work over BT with the E61. I have tried, and it says it is an 'unsupported phone'. Not tried via USB, but I doubt this will work either.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"If you're so convinced the iPhone is so great (which it quite possibly isn't), why do you visit a website devoted to Symbian phones?"

Yeah, I don't understand this either. Why do people come on here and actively say "no one cares about Symbian cos iPhone rulezzzz"? It's the worst kind of fanboy/fangirl activity.

"The iPhone will no doubt be very good at what it CAN do, it's what it CAN'T do that's going to matter to many..."

Exactly, it's largely meant to be an iPod replacement for people who have been using feature phones up until now. The theory is that instead of buying an iPod and a RAZR, as they do now, they'll just buy an iPhone, and for these kinds of people it will probably be a huge and welcome upgrade.

But iPhone can't possibly be a replacement for people who want a vibrant third party application ecosystem, because there will be no third party ecosystem as as iPhone is a closed platform.

Comparing the iPhone to smartphones is like comparing the (similarly-hyped) PlayStation 3 to PCs, we can see lots of overlap in what they do and how they work, but at the end of the day they're fundamentally different beasts aimed at different audiences.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 08-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Mobilix is on a distinguished road
not so closed anymore

Apple will release a SDK for the iPhone, to convert smaller Appps from OSX... (NYT)

So this concurrency will revive the market.

Nokia should put something like 'S60-inside' on their smartphones, so users can see the openess for 3rd party apps at a glance!

my2€cents
mobilix

Last edited by Mobilix; 08-06-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Well, for now, no one is absolutely sure if Apple will release an SDK for the iPhone. But what is interesting is IF THEY DO. Then I wonder what reasons Symbian (or Windows Mobile, or even, maybe Linux) 'fanboys' will give for the iPhone still being a poor smartphone. IF they do release an SDK, then prepare for a rapid developer movement to move existing OSX apps over to the iPhone (within reason, I doubt it would make sense to recompile Photoshop for the phone) Either way, this is good for Apple, and for the other platforms to compete/catch-up (you pick the word) with.
Ads

Old 08-06-2007, 03:26 PM

doctorp is on a distinguished road
iphone ecosystem armchair critics might take a longer view...

"But iPhone can't possibly be a replacement for people who want a vibrant third party application ecosystem, because there will be no third party ecosystem as as iPhone is a closed platform."

The R380 versus the iPhone would be more of a like for like comparison in terms of first market entry of an operating system and device.

It was the first Symbian Phone. It was completely closed.

I think it wouldnt be wise to judge Apple based on their first market entry. Take a long look at the first enormous clunky 5GB iPod and the latest iPod family today.

We are at the beginning of Apples journey and its going to be fun whatever develops. I mean who would have thought Nokia would actually wake up to the Mac - it just shows how far Apple have come.

Bring it on!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
I've just come across this news item and all I can say is

\O/ - YAY!

I can't wait to get home and slap this onto my MacBook! What a dream!

I'm just a little gutted I went and paid for that rather weak connectivity software that was recently released. Nokia may do them some damage too.

The iPhone isn't even on my radar.

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Guess Who

"Only" two problems with this stuff with the N80:
1. Nokia USB connection is slow like ****. It's 0.5MB/s. If I plug the memory card into a USB card reader write speed is 4-5MB/s. 10 times faster.
2. The pop port is a piece of shite. I have to plug it 10 times to make a connection.
So I stay with the SyncTunes / card reader method, Image Capture/iPhoto reads pictures from the card reader as well, plus I copy other files by hand in the Finder.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
So far, I'm very impressed with the OS X integration. I've only just started it up, but the USB is perfectly fine and what has really impressed me is that the albums on my N73 are maintained as Keywords in iPhoto, so at least as far as iPhoto integration is concerned, this is VERY neat stuff.

Got more playing to do and I'll report back as I find out more :-)

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73