All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-05-2007, 11:53 AM

topned is on a distinguished road
How do you transfer maps ?

Hi, I have recently had maps of eastern Australia downloaded onto my N95's 1 GB memory card. I have since purchased a 2GB micro SD card and backed everything up via PC Suite before I removed the 1GB and inserted, plus formatted the new 2GB card.

After format of card was complete, I did a restore to get all the 1GB card's data transferred onto the 2GB card. Everything seems to have transferred over, except that when I run the GPS map, it no longer shows any map data (i.e streets, parks, etc). I have checked the phone's memory and cannot find any maps and when i reinsert the 1GB card, and launch the Map application; i do get streets appearing again.

This then lead me to check what the stored data memory difference is between the new 2GB and old 1GB card and it seems that the 1GB has approx 155MB more of stored data (presumably the mapping software). My problem is that I cannot find where the mapping data is kept on the 1GB card. I have used the file manager to browse through the 1GB and compared it to my new 2GB card. The only difference is a folder called "cities" which is present on the 1GB but not on the 2GB card. However, the strange thing is the N95 is telling me that this folder contains no data.

I have tried searching in vane but with no success as to where the mapping data is kept on the phone's or card's memory. I am now thinking that it is either stored in hidden mode (if there is even such a thing) or maybe there is a glitch where software exists but will not display.

This may also explain why after a backup of 815 MB from the 1GB memory card via PC Suite results in a restore of only 660MB (indicating 155 MB missing); either because the N95 cannot see the "hidden" 155MB to begin with during the backup process.

It would also seem that my only hope of getting the maps again is to do that much dreaded slow overnight internet download from pc to memory card. Surely there must be a quicker way ? Otherwise everytime you buy or upgrade to a new memory card, and if you want your maps; you have to go through that downloading process.

Can anyone here help me with this problem ?

Thanks.

Old 16-05-2007, 12:57 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Just a thought - what you could do is take a complete copy of the 1gig card onto your PC (including hidden files) and then copy this back to the 2gig card.

Old 16-05-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
Just a thought - what you could do is take a complete copy of the 1gig card onto your PC (including hidden files) and then copy this back to the 2gig card.

Hi BanziBarn,

I thought I did do that by using Nokia PC Suite to backup data of 1GB card and then restoring it onto the 2GB card. This however didn't seemt o do the trick so i was wondering if anyone knows of another solution. I am trying to download other Symbian based file management programs to see if it's able to find hidden files.

Thanks for your help anyway. Will let you know if that method does the trick.

Old 16-05-2007, 03:20 PM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
You won't be able to see the hidden folders using the PC Suite Explorer. switch your phone to Mass Storage and use that, you'll then be able to see everything on the card. Copy the entire contents to an empty folder on your C Drive, turn the phone off, change card, turn the phone back on, connect it back up and copy the data from the folder on the C Drive to the new card.

Old 18-05-2007, 10:46 AM

Hi HoundDog.

I also tried doing the "mass storage" method but could also not find the "maps" data. Hence, I decided to do the overnight download !

Well at least I now have maps on both memory cards and have tested to make sure they work on both and they do....

Hopefully, someone can figure out a faster way to transfer maps in the future.

Thanks for your help anyhow.
Ads

Old 18-05-2007, 11:09 AM

lj2007 is on a distinguished road
Can i download the maps straight to the phone over a WLAN?? I cant work out how to do it in the maps app...

Old 18-05-2007, 11:23 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Instead of selecting/using an Internet access point, use a WLAN access point: Options > Settings > Network > Default access point

Old 18-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Yeah i can connect but how do I actually download the maps?? Does the GPS need to have a signal??

Old 18-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj2007 View Post
Yeah i can connect but how do I actually download the maps?? Does the GPS need to have a signal??

LJ, you need to go to the "smart2go" website and download the maploader program onto your pc. This will then sync your pc to phone; after you connect the usb cable which Nokia provided. Hence accessing that website and running maploader directly on phone via WLAN will likely not work.

Once you have downloaded the "maploader" program, run it and follow instructions given. It will ask which maps/countries you want to install. Note that downloading is extremely slow and can take overnight; so make sure phone charger is plugged in to keep phone continuously charged during the install.

Alternatively, connect your pc to a USB memory card reader (with your memory card inserted) and download it via that method. Apparently, some have found it to download slightly quicker; how much faster i cannot answer as I have not tried via that approach.

Last edited by topned; 18-05-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: update

Old 18-05-2007, 12:48 PM

Ahh, ok, i had assumed that it was possible to download straight to the phone...

Still havent been able to pick up a signal with the GPS yet - do i need to configure it or should it work straight away - would the fact that i have not downloaded the maps affect this at all??

Old 18-05-2007, 12:53 PM

RT1981 is on a distinguished road
Shouldn't do, i managed to get a GPS signal before i downloaded the maps. Mine boots up really quick, and i haven't updated the firmware yet. I always do a view satelite info, and then it locks on pretty swift.

Old 18-05-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topned View Post
I also tried doing the "mass storage" method but could also not find the "maps" data.
The map data is in a hidden folder on the memory card Private\20001f63 this folder is only access in "Mass Storage" mode of if you put your card in a reader.

Old 24-05-2007, 02:06 PM

Hi Hound Dog,

My 2nd 2GB card arrived today...this time the Sandisk Ultra II ; which I'm hoping will speed up access so that when i run music and photos simultaneously; the jitter fault will disappear.

Anyway, as I have to transfer files from the other 2GB to the new card, i thought i'd try and look for those hidden files you suggested. I ran it in the "USB mass storage mode" and my computer indicated that i had 2 hidden folders. And to copy it's contents; i had to use the Folder's control panel within Win XP to allow it to "see" these files. This explains why i never saw those hidden files you mentioned previously.

After fumbling around, i finally managed to set it to see hidden files and your tip about finding the map data in that Private\20001f63 folder was spot on. Thanks, as this will save me heaps of time in not having to download the maps again.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
The map data is in a hidden folder on the memory card Private\20001f63 this folder is only access in "Mass Storage" mode of if you put your card in a reader.

Old 24-05-2007, 03:12 PM

No worries dude, glad to help.

I've got that card as well, until sandisk's 4GB card comes out (eventually, and if it works in the phone), the 2GB Ultra II is the best card you can get for the N95.