All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-05-2007, 11:43 AM

ric9887 is on a distinguished road
N95 & Wifi dropping

I have an N95 and could connect to Wifi at home, but using apps like Fring, they would disconnect from the Wifi (a Netgear WPN824mk1) for no apparent reason. The network would disappear from the scanning, and then reappear.
When it was there, the signal strength was 85%

I thought this was odd, as I have many other devices connected to the access point and not had any trouble. (Wii, PS3, Squeezebox, Nabaztag as well as other computers.

I also tried setting up SIP on the N95 to talk to the Trixbox PBX and, but the connection to the access point would continually drop.

I tried disabling the powersave option in the Advanced Wifi settings on the N95 and also enabled only 802.11g on the access point, but the problem still happened. I have upgraded the phones firmware to 11.0.026 and still the same.

I enabled an Airport Express running (firmware 6.3) and disabled the Netgear, and the Wifi connection is solid on the N95 the whole evening. I even dropped the power on the N95 to 5mw, and re-enabled Wifi power saving and it didnt drop the wifi connection once.

There are a few, but not many options on the Netgear, but has anyone else found incompatabilities with Wifi access points.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:49 AM

indie is on a distinguished road
Yeah mine is horrendous connecting to a Linksys WRT300N, it's a little bit better after the new firmware update but still a bit shoddy.

If you can, try decreasing the beacon interval on the Access Point, not all AP's let you do this though. Side effects of doing this is are your network will incur additional overhead and throughput will go down slightly.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer couple of things to check

what channel is your router running on? basically avoid 6 - thats what many cordless phones run on .. they play havoc with wifi

I would stick it on 1 or 11 (g capable)

to the guy with the 300N .. you might wanna try dd-wrt firmware on it .. much better power / range / control ..

Old 03-05-2007, 12:14 PM

Can't use dd-wrt on it I'm afraid it's a V2 model.

I used to use talisman on my WRT54GS until that blew up in spectacular style, moved over to pre 802.11n now for most of my devices as I do alot of streaming around the house, works great apart from my N95 even if I force the AP into 802.11b or g mode.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:50 AM

vin_eme is on a distinguished road
Guys,

i got to know the reason also....the very simple fact is that the wifi antennae in located somewhere in the bottom of the key pad section....
You can try this out....point the bottom of your phone to the router and try to connect the internet or try to do a wlan scan, immediately you will be able to pick up the signal.....but weird thing is that you have to hold the phone upside down while browsing....Thats SAD!
The nokia folks should have thought abt the antennae location design....In N80 it was much better since it was located on the camera button side...

~Cheers

Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
what channel is your router running on? basically avoid 6 - thats what many cordless phones run on
Cordless phones don't just use 6, they operate between 2.4Ghz and 2.4835Ghz which is between channel 1 and well past channel 13. Yes some manufacturers may use a particular channel but it doesn't mean they all use channel 6. I wouldn't completely avoid it purely on that basis. Most AP's can do a scan to see what's operating around it, channel 6 might be good, it might be bad, but that goes for all the channels.

DECT phones use 1.9Ghz so they shouldn't interfere with WiFi.

Last edited by indie; 04-05-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:25 AM

EntraVenuS is on a distinguished road
is there to be a fix in the update for this problem?

Old 04-05-2007, 03:01 PM

ric9887 is on a distinguished road
I dont believe this problem has anything to do with the placement of the antenna on the 95. When it sees the Wifi, it has a strong signal no matter which way the bottom of the phone is pointing.

I dont believe it has anything to do with interference or channal number which you are running on.

I simply changed from a Netgear 824 to an Apple Express, both running B+G on the same channel number (6 in my case) and the phones connection to the wifi is rock solid where ever I am in the house with the Airport. With the Netgear, it would hold a connection for no more than about 2 minutes.

Im guessing its probably a slight incompatibility between the 2 products, although I havent seen these symptoms with anything else connecting the the Netgear. Im guessing its something which Nokia could fix in a firmware release, it depends how many people make them aware of it, and how many Wifi Access Points affect the 95 in this way.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric9887 View Post
Im guessing its probably a slight incompatibility between the 2 products
Damn right, works fine with the Cisco access points I've got at work, just doesn't like the Linksys one at home (even though Cisco own Linksys). Might just have to "borrow" a spare Cisco one for home.

Anyone know how end users file bug reports with Nokia then?

Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 PM

myauto is on a distinguished road
Same here. I have 2 routers/AP - Prolink (802.11g) and SMC (802.11b). No problem on SMC but there's unstable connection on Prolink unless i disable Power Saving on the N95. Tried various channel but no effect. Wonder why N95 doesn't like some routers/AP brand?
Ads

Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Nfun is on a distinguished road
Hi guys I'm a fan of s60.
I would like to know how it costed to you n95
and in wich country(in Euros).
I'm from Greece and soon they think to give it
720 E.
I look that you're talking about it's wi-fi.
Is it problematic? Should I wait for fixing something?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:04 PM

ravager is on a distinguished road
The billion series of wifi routers also has this problem.

Pretty much open, wep, wpa1/2 all transfer about 100k then start to refuse to talk with a gateway error

The phone also get very buggy and you have to restart it after connecting to the aps occasionally to the extent of removing the battery

Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Angry

I'm glad I'm not alone with this issue - I have a Linksys WRT300N v2 (in WPA only mode), which in itself has its own issues.

The really annoying thing is, is that before the v11 firmware, unlike many people, I had no problems whatsoever with WiFi. It would find all the APs around where I live and I could connect to mine anywhere in the apartment. I had big problems with my WM5 based QTEK with WiFi which is why I dumped it the moment the N95 came out.

Now with firmware 11.x I'm in the same boat as you guys - I sometimes get a connection, then it simple disconnects after a 30 seconds. It nearly always tells me there are no APs in the vicinity, nonsense as I can be right next to mine, and there are at least two or three other peoples that I can see from various parts of my home. The other symptom I have is when an application continually asks me for the WPA/WPA2 key for my AP which is already configured. Repeat the connection a few times and invariably the application or the whole phone simply hangs.

I have a 360 (why I have only WPA only mode), Dell laptop, PSP, ShowCenter and Belkin Skype phone, and they have no issues with my AP.

Basically Nokia have f**ked up this firmware for me and I have no way back and no way to get proper support (their forum is a joke, and Club Nokia is just that, a club!).

I just hope someone in Nokia is reading this forum.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:04 PM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

I think I may have discovered a sort of fix - I need more time to try it, but it has worked each time so far.

This only works with applications that allow the "Always Ask" option for the connection point. I find that if I access the web browser, when the prompt for connecting appears I wait by counting to 5 in my head, then I hit the access point I want to use. Voila, it connects and stays connected.

I'm beginning to think now that a process in the background isn't waking up quickly enough and therefore makes the phone fail to connect. Do it too quickly enough times and the phone then begins to lock up.

Like I said, I haven't tried it extensively, just the few times I've been at home to give it a quick go, so I could still be wrong.

Old 16-05-2007, 02:08 PM

myauto is on a distinguished road
Ok, i will give the 'count 5 seconds' method and see if it helps.

Not sure if the new FW 11.0.026 screwed up the wifi stability as i have not used wifi as much before the new FW.

Now i have 'Power Saving' disable and is able to use wifi with my home AP. However, i am facing frequent unstable / unsuccessful wifi connection at most public wifi hotspots, e.g. airports, cafes, etc. Very rarely i am able to connect properly to these public AP.

The wifi problem is very frustrating and i'm beginning to feel the N95 is useless for wifi. Damn, Nokia need to fix this bloody wifi problem !!!