All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure what i'm worng about,but yes you can use wap to check your e-mail,i'm doing it right now!
Wap is just a protocol on top GSM data used for that cripled way of surfing the web,i'm allso using Wap to surf the net with Webiewer and chat with my friend with WirelessIRC.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 06-01-2003, 07:20 PM

Boeky is on a distinguished road
And is it possible with al WAP connections to send and receive pop3 or smtp mail?
Cause my provider has a GPRS Internet service wich allows sending and receiving email, wapping, surfing (no MMS yet). But i have to pay 25€ each month for 10 MB. I don't need that much I won't send mails often.

The GSM-Data WAP of my provider is free (except 0.20 € each minute) So it's very usefull sending mail with this service but till now I did not succeed sendinding mails.

Old 06-01-2003, 07:33 PM

MR-6T9R is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
I'm not sure what i'm worng about,but yes you can use wap to check your e-mail,i'm doing it right now!
Wap is just a protocol on top GSM data used for that cripled way of surfing the web,i'm allso using Wap to surf the net with Webiewer and chat with my friend with WirelessIRC.
Eh? Can anyone else verify this? I thought it was impossible to connect to web viewer or email via a WAP connection. I would love to just use dialup GSM for quickly dowloading stuff. I tried with my GSM dialup and my WAP over GPRS settings with 0.0.0.0 gateway and I get an error. Then change them to the way they were it's back to normal.

What settings do you have GhostDog?

Old 06-01-2003, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

I know it is possible,i dont have a clue why you cant send e-mail with your wap connection.Sorry :(
I know that it is possible for your operator to disable access to certain ports like 110 - pop or 25 - smtp.i'm only guessing here.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 06-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-6T9R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Eh? Can anyone else verify this? I thought it was impossible to connect to web viewer or email via a WAP connection. I would love to just use dialup GSM for quickly dowloading stuff. I tried with my GSM dialup and my WAP over GPRS settings with 0.0.0.0 gateway and I get an error. Then change them to the way they were it's back to normal.

What settings do you have GhostDog?
These are my setings:

Connection name: Mobimak Wap
Data bearer: GSM data
Dial up number: 142142
User name: wap
Prompt password: no
Password: **** (Withiut the )
Authentication: Secure
Gateway: 217.16.68.241
Homepage: http://wap.mobimak.com.mk
Data call type: Analogue
Max data speed: Automatic
Connection security: Off
Session mode: Permanent

Old 06-01-2003, 07:46 PM

Is this password yours? Or is it the same for everyone? Otherwise feel free to show it so we might try the connection But It will be exspensive as we dial to an international number and my provider won't allow this either.

But indeed that are configuration settings for a GSM Data connection.
So it has to be our provider who blocks internet protocols so we only can wap :cry:
Ads

Old 06-01-2003, 07:55 PM

MR-6T9R is on a distinguished road
Here are mine and it still don't work: :(

Connection name: Telstra Mobilenet WAP/GSM
Data Bearer: GSM Data
Dial up no: +61418707649
User name: +61439768528
Prompt Pass: No
Pass: ****
Authentication: Secure
Gateway: 10.1.1.150
Homepage: http:/wap.telstra.com/wap
Data Call Type: ISDN v 1.10
Max Data Speed: 9600
Connection Security: On
Session: Permanent

Old 06-01-2003, 08:04 PM

For Mobistar (Belgium) Users:

Connection name: WAP Mobistar GSM-Data
Data Bearer: GSM Data
Dial up no: +32495953333
User name: mobistar
Prompt Pass: No
Pass: mobistar
Authentication: Normal
Gateway: 212.65.63.143
Homepage: http:/wap.mobistar.be
Data Call Type: ISDN v 1.10
Max Data Speed: 9600
Connection Security: Off
Session: Permanent

Wapping works fine but I can't figure out how to send/receive mails nor surf nor uploading images.

Old 06-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeky
Is this password yours? Or is it the same for everyone? Otherwise feel free to show it so we might try the connection But It will be exspensive as we dial to an international number and my provider won't allow this either.
This is the password publicly available on my operator's website: http://www.mobimak.com.mk/english/our_offer/phones&equipment/wapsetting/nokia7650.htm

And yes,it will be very expensive and i dont think that you can use my operator's wap service if you dont have its SIM.

Old 06-01-2003, 11:00 PM

youpeta is on a distinguished road
Another Belgian

Hi Boeky,
I also use mobistar.
To be able to retrieve my mail (with tiscalinet), I had to make an extra dial-up connection with the settings of my service provider.

You can find the settings for Telenet + dial-up nrs. here: http://helpdesk.telenet.be/nl/settings/pagina2.htm

Note: your connection will be charged as a regular call, not gprs!
I think you can also have an email-adress with Mobistar, maybe this one can be used.

The settings I use (I tried to fill it in to work with pandora):

Access Point:
Name: Pandora
Data Bearer: High speed gsm
Dial up nr: +3223000000 (depending of where you live, see settings in the above link)
User name: your username with telenet
Prompt password: no
Password: your pass with telenet
Authentication: Normal
Gateway:0.0.0.0
Data Call Type: Analog
Max. Data speed: Automatic

Mailbox:
Name: Pandora
Access point: Pandora
My mail address: Boeky@pandora.be
Outgoing mail-server: smtp.telenet.be
Send message:<what you like>
Send copy:<what you like>
include signature:<what you like>
user name: <same as used for access point>
pwd: <same as used for access point>
Incoming mail: pop.telenet.be
mailbox type: pop3
security: off
Apop secure login: off

Hope this is helpfull,

Youri (Blankenberge)

Old 07-01-2003, 12:05 PM

Hi,

Thank you very much.

Indeed these settings work perfect to send and receive mail. I didn't try html but I think that will work too. For sending one mail of 50 kb I only need to connect about one minute. This costs me 0.35 € wich isn't that much more than the wap connection of 0.2 € each minute.

But when MMS for mobistar arrives, I'll take the GPRS Package of 7.5 € a mounth. The question is: when will mobistar release the MMS service...

Thanks again.

(1 € is about as much as 1 $)

Old 07-01-2003, 06:01 PM

Mobistar

Here are 2 other announcements about Mobistar I just found at
http://www.kompass.be/nl/actualiteit/sektoren/telecommunicatie/html/index.php
and
http://www.bis-nis.com/sResults_Loc.aspx?cat=0&header=mobistar&body=mobis tar&dfrom=07-01-1998&dto=0&Page=1

28-10-2002 Mobistar lanceert nieuwe e-mail dienst
Mobistar, de tweede gsm-operator van het land, lanceert zijn dienst Mobile Mail waarmee de gewone gebruiker via het gsm-toestel toegang krijgt tot zijn e-mails. Mobistar waarschuwt met een sms'je wanneer er nieuwe mail is. Elke klant kan gratis gebruik maken van een Mobistar e-mailadres met zijn eigen gsm-nummer in. Er worden geen activerings- of abonnementskosten aangerekend, maar de mailmeldingen via sms en de sms-berichtjes voor mailbeheer kosten € 0,2.
http://www.mobistar.be

27/12/02 Mobistar delays launch of SPV
Mobistar, Belgium’s second mobile phone operator, said it would delay with 30 days the launch of its application for mobile internet access SPV (Sound, Photo & Vision), which was initially planned for the end of this month. The company will then launch its SPV, a mobile phone equipped with an adapted version of Windows. The move marks the entrance of Microsoft in the telecoms sector with a device named Smartphone, which is intended to be a wireless device, allowing simple browsing, e-mail and personal information features accessed with one hand (the stylus found on PDAs is replaced with a thumb-pad). The SPV technology is intended to be an alternative for Base’s I-mode.
http://www.mobistar.be

Old 07-01-2003, 06:27 PM

Mobistars's niewe email dienst (Mobile Mail)
http://www.mobistar.be/www/nl/multimedia_services/mobile_mail/index.jsp
stuurt enkel SMS berichten. Ook de mails die je verzend zullen via SMS verstuurd worden. Dit betekent dat je bvb geen foto's genomen met de nokia 7650 kan doorsturen. Enkel tekst mails kan je op deze manier versturen en ontvangen met de Mobile Mail service van Mobistar.
Zoiet's kan ik niet gebruiken.

"Mobile internet access SPV (Sound, Photo & Vision)"
Bedoelen ze hiermee MMS ook? Ik dacht van niet.

"A mobile phone equipped with an adapted version of Windows."
Betekent dit dat je de service niet kan gebruiken met Symbian OS?

Alvast bedankt voor de informatie en jouw replies

TRANSLATON FOR ENGLISH USERS

Mobistar's new email service (Mobile mail)
http://www.mobistar.be/www/nl/multimedia_services/mobile_mail/index.jsp (Dutch)
only send SMS messages. Also mails you send will be sent in an SMS message. This means that you can't send for example pictures taken with your nokia 7650. Only mails that contain text can be sent with the Mobile Mail service from mobistar.
Thats not what I need!

"Mobile internet access SPV (Sound, Photo & Vision)"
Do they mean MMS with this? I guess not?

"A mobile phone equipped with an adapted version of Windows."
Does this mean the service cannot be used on phones with Symian OS?

Thanks again for this information and all your replies.

[/quote]

Old 12-01-2003, 09:45 AM

If ur using ADSL where did you get your dial-up number from?

Old 12-01-2003, 03:06 PM

Adsl - dial in

Most adsl-providers offer also dial-up access.
If you have an account for use with their adsl-services, you can (in my case, and I think with most providers) also use their dial-up access.

In my case I could dial in to skynet with a regular modem, but it didn't work with the 7650. So I used an account with a free isp (tiscalinet) to get access.

But sometimes my connection is broken after +- 30 secs. Possibly connection-quality (although I have 4 stripes in my quality-bar)?