All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-01-2003, 10:25 PM

MR-6T9R is on a distinguished road
Stacker or Space Doubler?!?!? GRRRR!!!!

Decisions... decisions.... decisions!!!!!

I had Space Doubler, then I heard people raving on about Stacker being better in compression rate and stability. Yet when I installed Stacker and compressed my apps; it compressed the same as Space Doubler.

1) I've never had Space Doubler crash on me. So the stability is not an issue.
2) Space Doubler compressed the same and was a little faster decompressing/compressing the apps. And it also had the capability of compressing your messages and java applications.
3) However, with Stacker, you could compress any file on your phone.

Anyone else comment on this before I revert back to Space Doubler?!?!?

Old 04-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
I love the way Symbianware promote their products! It's great banter and all done in a friendly way I'm sure!

This kind of competition between the two camps can only be good because users of sDoubler can soon expect to see some upgrades coming. I remember on the 9210 platform when there was massive competition between Power Data (Epocware) and Smallbase (Corisoft).

No sooner would one add a function and the other would add that function and some more. This went on for a while and the winners were the Symbian platform and Symbian users who had better databases as a result.

Stacker has features such as background compression which are great and I would be suprised if PsiLoc sat down and just watched Symbianware provide added functionality without doing something to keep up and overtake which would cause Symbianware to keep up and overtake and we users would be all the better for it.

My advice is, if you've registered one of them, stick to that and wait to see what developments will arise. After all, constantly installing and uninstalling this kind of software can be tricky business.

Now here's the challenge: I want a compression utility that will compress all my applications to 1Kb

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 04-01-2003, 11:45 PM

Now I have a problem? They're both registered :P

I too would love an app that could compress everything to 1Kb Maybe they could partition or install a familiar FAT (File Allocation Table) that could increase the space somehow? Or is that getting too Microsofy?

But if you really want to save space, use my Wireless IRC trick

Old 04-01-2003, 11:49 PM

petran is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANKERx
Now here's the challenge: I want a compression utility that will compress all my applications to 1Kb
That's very easy to do! I'm not too sure they can be decompressed again, though...
Ads

Old 05-01-2003, 05:16 AM
Banned

The Party Boy is on a distinguished road
Stacker is better!!!

Old 05-01-2003, 06:44 AM

strats is on a distinguished road
Have been using Sdoubler for weeks now, then came a day I backed up my 7650 with PC Suite..... All of a sudden all my compressed apps were failing, the only way to get everything functioning was to go into Sdoubler and uncompress all files, uninstall Sdoubler, reinstall it and start again. Quite a pain actually. Emailed Psiloc and due to an email system prob have not had a reply yet, so.....I went and purchased Stacker. after using both I must say it's much of a muchness, but at least nothing crashes with Stacker while backing up. Not saying it is a software fault, there maybe something on my phone it doesnt like.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisteR
Stacker is better!!!
Could you tell me why you think Stacker is better?

Old 05-01-2003, 09:43 AM

Chaos is on a distinguished road
Strats!!..I think you may have something there!
I love SD..but recently I also had a problem where all of a sudden all my sd apps wouldn't run, just gave a pause and sat there. I could decompress them, and then run them, but not run from compressed mode. After trying everything I could think of, I put it down to a glitch and uninstalled sd, and then re-installed again, and everything is fine now.

But now that you mention that...I did do a full backup with Data Suite that day..and if you had the same problem after your backup, then I think we may have a problem here.

Can anyone else who has done a backup tell us if SD is working fine afterwards?

I know that Psiloc monitors this board, so maybe they will come back with an answer/solution/suggestion. So far their customer service has been fantastic.

Old 05-01-2003, 12:41 PM

mrkin is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem with SD during backup with PC suite. The backup bar was around 60% complete, than suddenly I get the message "...succesfully backed up" on the PC. but N7650 gives error message "..application closed.." or something. I didn't try to restore, cause I was afraid to..