All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 PM

rjamesd is on a distinguished road
N95 MP2 (two) player for playing TheBug DAB radio recordings

Does the N95 play MP2 audio?

I want to play MP2 audio recordings made of the radio on my TheBug DAB Digital Radio on SD card (actually using a mini SD with a full size SD adapter)

If not, then I plan to write a player - once I've figured out if I'm going to get a contract N95 or SimFree.

See the other thread on this MP2 idea:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=33027

Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 PM

autopilot is on a distinguished road
Or you could just convert them to MP3 using any one of about a million applications for this.

It seems daft to write a player, just to sue a format that not many recorders or people use.

The N95 has a MicroSD, not MiniSD. So you are still going to have to put the card into a PC first and copy it across.

(Anyway, i thought the pure devices could record to MP3.)

Last edited by autopilot; 10-04-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
Or you could just convert them to MP3 using any one of about a million applications for this.
...using a PC - which is what I DON'T want to do. I should be able to take the recording from TheBug and play it directly from the N95.

This is so I can enjoy recorded radio programmes on the move, out and about.

Quote:
It seems daft to write a player, just to sue a format that not many recorders or people use.
It is daft to take the recording from TheBug, go through the tedious ceremony of booting up a PC, load up a MP2 to MP3 conversion programme (such as dbPowerAmp - which is good but PC based), convert the file, save it back, turn off the PC. I want a quick and simple solution.

The N95 has a MicroSD, not MiniSD. So you are still going to have to put the card into a PC first and copy it across.
Quote:
Wrong - I don't need to put it in a PC. I can put the MicroSD card in a full-size SD adapter and then put this into TheBug to make the recording. I've already asked PURE and they said TheBug works with micro and mini SD cards adapted into a full size SD. Then I just remove the microSD card from the adapter, put it in the N95, load up my MP2 player and listen.
Quote:
(Anyway, i thought the pure devices could record to MP3.)
I actually own a PURE TheBug and I can tell you that it doesn't record to MP3, it records to MP2.
It records in MP2 because that is the original format of the DAB Digital Radio broadcast. Presumably, research and development cost and extra hardware power required (and therefore higher bill of materials) to do on-the-fly conversion for MP3 recording from DAB made it unfeasible to sell TheBug at a viable price with that feature included. So to keep costs down and reduce time to market they just opted for the straight MP2 record.

However it will *play* MP3s.

The whole point is the convenience that this application would bring. There are so many things we can do without the need for a PC, e.g. print photos from the phone, so why not sharing audio between devices. The N95 is a powerful programmable pocket computer without the inconvenience of a PC.

Other people have asked about the same thing.

Last edited by rjamesd; 11-04-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 PM

Ok! OK!

Old 16-04-2007, 04:57 PM

dsbowskill is on a distinguished road
Have you tried just renaming the file?

MP3 is an extension of the MPEG Audio specification and so should be compatible with both MPEG 1 and 2 audio. Most other players are. Annoyingly, the N95 is not.

On other systems you can just rename the .mp2 to mp3 and it works. Not so on the N95 :( Grrr. And the thing is, it costs them absoutely nothing to meet the specification more precisely.

DSB

Last edited by dsbowskill; 16-04-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Old 16-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbowskill View Post
MP3 is an extension of the MPEG Audio specification and so should be compatible with both MPEG 1 and 2 audio. Most other players are. Annoyingly, the N95 is not.

On other systems you can just rename the .mp2 to mp3 and it works. Not so on the N95 :( Grrr. And the thing is, it costs them absoutely nothing to meet the specification more precisely.

DSB
It would definitely cost them in development time because the C/C++ coding to handle both formats even though on paper the spec says it's just an extension. Also bear in mind that the testing phase of the software will require twice as many tests and test files - for both MP2 and MP3.

Hence the need to write a separate MP2 player. This is ought to be achievable as MP2 is less computationally expensive than MP3. However the big problem would be that MP2 DAB recordings have 48KHz sample rate and if the codec on the N95 only takes up to 44.1KHz then some on-the-fly resampling will be needed or otherwise the pitch of the recordings will be lower if they are just played without resampling.

I want to work in mobile development so this useful niche application would be good on my CV.

Old 22-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Paul N95 is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't it be just so easy to take a 2GB microSD (via adaptor) from my Evoke-3 after it has been recording great stuff all week and just pop it into my phone to listen too :(

Is it laziness on the radio manufacturers part to only write the original MP2 to the SD rather than converting to MP3 in the first place? After all, most DAB radios will play MP3 files from the SD card.

An MP2 player for the N95 would be heaven. With DAB being more and more popular I guess it's only a matter of time.

I agree with the OP that having to convert the MP2 to MP3 via a PC is not practical.

Old 24-07-2007, 03:23 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Out of interest, how many other countries apart from UK are broadcasting DAB in MP2?

Old 24-07-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
Out of interest, how many other countries apart from UK are broadcasting DAB in MP2?
Not many, i believe most are adopting the "DAB2" or "DAB+" system that uses AAC+

We got a bit ahead of ourselves and shot ourselves in the foot it seems. It's nice and clear and we have room for more channels, but the quality is not amazing. FM is better and many internet radio stations use much higher bitrates too now.

Old 15-11-2007, 12:30 AM

You can now buy cheaply software to do this

You can now buy cheaply software to do this

This software will do it

http://coreplayer.com/

Works perfectly on my Nokia N95 and Nokia 5500
Ads

Old 15-11-2007, 06:15 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I was gonna say CorePlayer. It plays anything you throw at it! If you do decide to write something yourself, consider a symbian app to convert mp2 to mp3 rather than just an mp2 player. That would be teh roxxor