All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 AM

Ston is on a distinguished road
Using N95 as in-car sat nav replacement?

Hi,

For your N95 users, would it offer itself as a replacement for an in-car sat nav?

I am looking to buy a TomTom 910 but was wondering if I could save the cost by buying an N95 and just mounting it in the car.

I have read that it has issues locking on to a sat originally but once this is done, doe it survive well during in car movement (60 mph+)

I am on T-Mobile web'n'walk pro so data downloads is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
The only problem with N95 could be the accuracy and lag time to fix sattelite, because it uses the old SiRF II chip, and not the modern, SiRF III one. But to use other GPSsoftware like Tomtom or Route66, and not Smart2Go, the only way is by external GPS hardware (SiRF III), by Bluetooth, and not the internal one. And at least on this case, the N95 with the 2,6" screen is a solid GPS device, on car or anything else.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7 View Post
But to use other GPSsoftware like Tomtom or Route66, and not Smart2Go, the only way is by external GPS hardware (SiRF III), by Bluetooth, and not the internal one..
Fingers crossed TomTom and R66 will produce patches for their software to allow use of internal GPS devices in a month or 2...

Old 17-04-2007, 06:49 PM

march1840 is on a distinguished road
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but im not the most technical minded and hope someone can clarify a few things for me. I want to use the N95 as an in car sat nav,
will tom tom 6 work ok on it?

If your using it as an in car sat nav i presume its better to purchase an external gps because its quicker etc, any recomendations which one?

Once your using tom tom with an external gps is there any data transfer charges from the network provider (im with orange)

Effectively i want to use the phone for car navigation without being charged to use it. Ive played about a bit with the 'maps' but that seems to involve data transfer which costs.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 17-04-2007, 07:06 PM

Alastair is on a distinguished road
A couple of points to make

I used my N95 to leave London and travel down the M3 on Saturday. My car has a fairly sloped windscreen, but even so I had to have the unit well forward to pick up enough satellites to maintain a fix, which made it un-readable. If I picked it up to look at the screen, it lost its fix.

And that's the second problem. Its screen is readable at sort of 0.5m max. But if you place it at the forward part of the dashboard shelf to pick up the signal, it's too small to read.

I'd say it was only useful for me when hand held.

Alastair

Old 17-04-2007, 09:20 PM

stevehoot is on a distinguished road
Great

Hi all,

I've only used it as a brief test between my home town and Peterborough which is about 35 miles away.

Yeah, the locking time on average is around a minute for a warm start, about 2 for a cold and say 20 - 40 seconds on a hot. Not great compared to the latest devices, but I can forsake 2 minutes of getting out of a driveway and at least heading in the right direction for the saving of 200!!!

I've found the accuracy to be spot on - had no problems with it so far. The routing engine and maps are as good as any other dedicated or non-dedicated device out there to be honest.

The car issue doesn't seem to happen for me. I've got a seperate add-on cup holder on my car from halfords a couple of years back. Put the N95 in there, open the slider and works fine. Distance to the screen is great and the signal strength seems to be good too.

If you're a sales rep or someone who does traveling on a day-to-day basis all over the place then it's not for you - look at a dedicated device. However if you do the odd trip to some obsecure place every month or so then the N95 is just the ticket.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 17-04-2007, 11:08 PM

bmh.01 is on a distinguished road
Knowing tomtom, there'll be no rush.

Old 18-04-2007, 07:00 AM

kitesurf is on a distinguished road
I've heard reported that on new modern cars there can often be some kind of shielding on the windscreen for UV or something like that and this can interfere with the satellite signal. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on these matters can comment?

Travelled up to London from Plymouth yesterday and used TomTom with an external bluetooth GPS. Worked like a charm.

Old 14-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Tycho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurf View Post
I've heard reported that on new modern cars there can often be some kind of shielding on the windscreen for UV or something like that and this can interfere with the satellite signal. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on these matters can comment?

Travelled up to London from Plymouth yesterday and used TomTom with an external bluetooth GPS. Worked like a charm.
That is correct, my Clio 182 has a heat reflective windscreen which means that I have to use a bluetooth GPS reciever under a clear square at the bottom of the windscreen. The windscren has a metallic film sandwiched in it which blocks the signal. However I believe that Ford windscreens with the tiny wires (quick clear I think it is called) lets the signal through.

I found that reading the sat nav was only practical when the phone is in a holder on the dashboard by the radio head unit as it is a bit too small any further away so using a bluetooth GPS reciever is the only way for me to do it. I do however like the way that the N95 asks if you want to use bluetooth before defaulting to the internal GPS chip.

Last edited by Tycho; 14-09-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Old 14-09-2007, 09:22 PM

tanov is on a distinguished road
i use the tt6 and it works a treat
yes it uses an external device but it is far, far better than nokia maps and yes it makes a fantastic car device, no probs.

wayne
w@tanov.co.uk
if you need more help

Old 15-09-2007, 10:41 AM

Aurial is on a distinguished road
I use mine in my car at least twice a week on a journey from South London to near Coventry, and then the return journey. I have to say I'm really pleased with it. I get a fix within about 20 seconds max of turning on the Satnav software. Mine's mounted in a Brodit holder which is attached to the cental air vents. The signal stays strong for the whole journey.

The only problem I have is with the software. I'm using Route 66 and find their traffic updates to be next to useless. I seem to run into traffic or roadworks at least once during each journey. It took me about an hour to get out of London last night. I remember when I used to have TomTom a couple of years back I thought the traffic was really good on that. Does anyone have any experience with Navicore's traffic service? I'm considering this as an alternative until TomTom release the next version in November.

Old 16-09-2007, 04:42 AM

iball is on a distinguished road
I have my N95 in a proclipsusa charging mount in my car and use TomTom with an external GPSlim240 bluetooth GPS receiver and it works great.
Even drove I-40 from Wilmington, NC to Barstow, CA and back and not once did I have any issues with TomTom. Since I was using an external bluetooth receiver with a SIRFstar III chipset there wasn't any need to use A-GPS. The built-in GPS needs A-GPS because Nokia went with a craptacular GPS chipset.
I've even used it with the version of Route66 that uses the built-in GPS and it worked fine even though Route66 sucks compared to TomTom.
I've used dedicated GPS navigators before (Medion/Navigon, Garmin, TomTom) but I find the "all-in-one" capabilities of the N95 combined with TomTom make it a perfect navigator.
Now, if only TomTom would hurry the phuck up and deliver on a version that uses the built-in GPS units on the newer Nokia models (N95 & E90) so I can put my GPSlim in storage.

Old 17-09-2007, 02:53 PM

palmtopman is on a distinguished road
Smile N95 v Conventional SatNav

Firstly, I've never owned a conventional SatNav, have always used a PDA with GPS CFCard, BT GPS or Internal GPS.

Currently using Navigon's 'Mobile Navigator (v.6.3.5) in my N95, quite pleased so far.
GOOD FEATURES...
Useful quick commands from number keypad.
Quick recalc if different route chosen.

BAD FEATURES...
Doesn't give me the current road/street that I'm travelling on.
Can't rename 'favourites'.

Don't believe TomTom is available yet which uses N95 built-in GPS.

www.palmtopman.com (website will have more details soon...)

Old 17-09-2007, 03:14 PM

geedee is on a distinguished road
N95 +tt

I use a Holux slim 236 GPS receiver with TT6 mounted with Brodit Pro Clip on centre RH Vent. The N95 is fully adjustable so no glare problems.

Works a treat although I maily use it for Speed camera warnings from pocket world GPS.

Old 17-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Blimey palmtopman, thats some list of clients you have there.

JOHN DANILOVICH - Ambassador, U.S. Embassy, San Jose, Costa Rica

JOHN SUCHET - Former ITV Newsreader

Impressive really.
Ads