All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-03-2007, 10:32 PM

madman91 is on a distinguished road
FLAC Player - N73

Hello all,
I was wondering if any FLAC players have been developed for the N73.. I know what you're thinking, FLAC is HUGE and N73 memory cards are small .. I know I know, but still, does anyone know of a FLAC player developed for N73? That would be great!

Thanks,
MaDman

Old 26-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Is there such a player or am I wasting my time?

so I guess this is a ::BUMP::

Old 27-03-2007, 01:05 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
It would be a waste of time developing flac support for virtually any mobile, purely down to sound quality.

You'd be kidding yourself if you think the output stages of any of the Nokias, SE, Samsungs (or even the iPhone) are good enough to justify use of uncompressed audio.

A better option if you want reasonable sound would be to use the OggPlay application, I'll always maintain that Ogg Vorbis is ahead of both MP3 and AAC on audio quality.

Old 27-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
It would be a waste of time developing flac support for virtually any mobile, purely down to sound quality.

You'd be kidding yourself if you think the output stages of any of the Nokias, SE, Samsungs (or even the iPhone) are good enough to justify use of uncompressed audio.
I feel farily unintelligent right about now. I always assumed players played well. But I guess they don't. Oh well, just out of curiousty how does the iPod compare to my N73 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
A better option if you want reasonable sound would be to use the OggPlay application, I'll always maintain that Ogg Vorbis is ahead of both MP3 and AAC on audio quality.
Well I got all my music from my cousin. Unfortunately he is an mp3 whore so I am stuck where I am.

Thanks!

Old 27-03-2007, 04:20 PM

evoGage is on a distinguished road
Like what clonmult said, I think FLAC on a mobile phone is kinda pointless. Even if you can play FLAC on the N73 I bet you can't tell the difference between a LAME encoded 192k and FLAC. Another factor is the earphones, the standard ones sucks and not worth listening to anything encoded higher that 128k.

Old 27-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoGage View Post
Like what clonmult said, I think FLAC on a mobile phone is kinda pointless. Even if you can play FLAC on the N73 I bet you can't tell the difference between a LAME encoded 192k and FLAC. Another factor is the earphones, the standard ones sucks and not worth listening to anything encoded higher that 128k.
I have shure E4C's.. So headphones aren't a problem.. How good is the N73 in comparison to an iPod ?

Old 27-03-2007, 06:00 PM

Not sure as I cant connect a some normal earphones (Super.fi 5 Pro) to try out the N73 as I dont have the ME lead or an adaptor. Since the iPod is a dedicated music player, its obvious that the iPod will gonna sound a lot better!

Old 27-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoGage View Post
Not sure as I cant connect a some normal earphones (Super.fi 5 Pro) to try out the N73 as I dont have the ME lead or an adaptor. Since the iPod is a dedicated music player, its obvious that the iPod will gonna sound a lot better!
Not necessarily. I read some blind test reviews where the n91 beat other ipods..

Old 27-03-2007, 08:02 PM

Somehow I doubt it IMO.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:08 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
As others have said, its difficult to compare the N73 to an iPod on quality due to different headphone adapters.

However, I'd say that the N73 player is definitely reasonable, and at least has a custom EQ facility that is stupidly lacking on the iPod. I recently purchased a 30gig video iPod, and am totally hacked off that it doesn't have any custom EQ function. The bass boost EQ pushes the bass up too far.
Ads

Old 08-05-2010, 03:18 PM

lordbeholder is on a distinguished road
Sound quality

Nokias indeed have better sound quality than all generations of ipods and iphones.
I personally have tested a nokia N95, a sony ericsson k750i and w995, a htc hero, a sony ericsson xperia x1, an ipod shufflem ipod touch and ipod nano.
all of them have 3.5mm jacks as standard except the k750i which was not a problem as my w995 came with a headphone adaptor for the headset.
I used 3 different headphones for this test.
Bang and olufsen earphones, the ones with the moveable ear holder.
Sennheiser cx 500s.
sony MDR-EX500s.
In every test i noticed the apple products, which are "dedicated media players" were noticeably inferior.. TO CELLPHONES!
the nokia was much better at outputting sound at nearly every note, there was no tinnyness and no hollow sound that you get in an ipod.
the hero and the x1 were better than the nokia and the quality was indistinguishable.
the sony feature phones were far superior to all the rest.
the bass boost in the sony models was amazingly good and the sound was so full and crisp.
I also noticed that the sony headphones were possibly the best because of being in ear ones, and the bang n olufsen ones were also amazing but i prefer in ear earphones. sennheisers are great for inexpensive earphones.

This might give you an idea that the k750 which is 6 years old now, is better than current apple technology. I dont understand the appeal of an ipod except for the user interface which is only good because of the touch controls and the ipod touch screen is patented to nokia which makes all of apples products and lawsuits useless!
honestly you get the sense that apple is a corporation that is NOT designing for the consumer's wants or needs. they just want to make money, so they make a product as cheaply as possible (I know this because I know that they use an outdated processor architecture which was made by ARM).

Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Mikos is on a distinguished road
Yes theres is....was...might be again?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbeholder View Post
Nokias indeed have better sound quality than all generations of ipods and iphones.
I personally have tested a nokia N95, a sony ericsson k750i and w995, a htc hero, a sony ericsson xperia x1, an ipod shufflem ipod touch and ipod nano.
all of them have 3.5mm jacks as standard except the k750i which was not a problem as my w995 came with a headphone adaptor for the headset.
I used 3 different headphones for this test.
Bang and olufsen earphones, the ones with the moveable ear holder.
Sennheiser cx 500s.
sony MDR-EX500s.
In every test i noticed the apple products, which are "dedicated media players" were noticeably inferior.. TO CELLPHONES!
the nokia was much better at outputting sound at nearly every note, there was no tinnyness and no hollow sound that you get in an ipod.
the hero and the x1 were better than the nokia and the quality was indistinguishable.
the sony feature phones were far superior to all the rest.
the bass boost in the sony models was amazingly good and the sound was so full and crisp.
I also noticed that the sony headphones were possibly the best because of being in ear ones, and the bang n olufsen ones were also amazing but i prefer in ear earphones. sennheisers are great for inexpensive earphones.

This might give you an idea that the k750 which is 6 years old now, is better than current apple technology. I dont understand the appeal of an ipod except for the user interface which is only good because of the touch controls and the ipod touch screen is patented to nokia which makes all of apples products and lawsuits useless!
honestly you get the sense that apple is a corporation that is NOT designing for the consumer's wants or needs. they just want to make money, so they make a product as cheaply as possible (I know this because I know that they use an outdated processor architecture which was made by ARM).
Thanks lordbeholder - I agree 100% with your conclusion regarding the good sound quality in mobile phone devices. If we let them, they can easily beat allot of dedicated music players including, of course, Apple dedicated music players as well.

In 2008 I had a Nokia N82 (symbian 60 3rd) and with some luck I found the 'Coreplayer' from 'corecodec', a software music player that was able to play sort of everything and with great pleasure also Flac files. It was a great time.

3 years later Im with Nokia again, this time a N8-00 and again the lack of playing flac files. This unik phone is capable of using single usb harddrive as source for any mediafiles, it comes with hdmi out put, it plays dolby digital plus and what have we - but flac support!!!!

Really, it is so awsome unbelievable.

'Coreplayer' for symbian 60 3rd plays the flac files well on symbian^3 but the interface is not useable. I have found one application 'FolderPlayer' for use on symbian^3 - if anyone know of other suggestions, please let me know.

Good thoughts to all!

Old 18-04-2011, 12:03 AM

xplayo is on a distinguished road
LCG Jukebox plays FLAC files on my N8, but it costs $19.50. It has a nice interface and play internet streaming audio.

I like FolderPlay a lot and it's free! I love the integrated amplifier, but hate when skip while playing FLAC on my phone. I guess this app needs an update for Symbian^3 compatibility. However, mp3 files play fine...