All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-03-2007, 08:02 PM

slashandgrab is on a distinguished road
Question Terminating SyncScheduler with Swiss Manager

Hiya,

I'm having all sorts of problems with Exchange ActiveSync so much so that it renders my W950 pretty much useless. Trawling through the forums here it seems that I need to terminate the SyncScheduler, unset the Inactivity Lock and restart the phone.

I've downloaded version 1.40 of Swiss Manager but I cannot terminate SyncShceduler. In the list of open tasks, SyncScheduler has an asterisk (*) and it won't let me kill it or end it. Any tasks without an asterisk stop fine.

How can I terminate SyncScheduler? I must be missing something obvious..?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 19-03-2007, 03:50 PM

superswede is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashandgrab View Post
Hiya,

I'm having all sorts of problems with Exchange ActiveSync so much so that it renders my W950 pretty much useless. Trawling through the forums here it seems that I need to terminate the SyncScheduler, unset the Inactivity Lock and restart the phone.

I've downloaded version 1.40 of Swiss Manager but I cannot terminate SyncShceduler. In the list of open tasks, SyncScheduler has an asterisk (*) and it won't let me kill it or end it. Any tasks without an asterisk stop fine.

How can I terminate SyncScheduler? I must be missing something obvious..?

Many thanks in advance.
No, you're not missing something obvious.
My guess is that you're using version 2.010 of ActiveSync?
In this version it's not possible to kill the SyncScheduler as it now runs as protected system process (hence the "*"). It was probably considered a "bug" from v.2.007 since you by doing this could bypass the security setting in Exchange that enabled the inactivity lock...

There is however a workaround that works fine:
1. Uninstall ActiveSync v.2.010
2. Restart phone
3. Install ActiveSync v.2.007
4. Configure it and perform a full sync (the inactivity lock and screensaver will now be "forced" enabled).
5. End/kill ActiveSync and use SwissManager to kill SyncScheduler (in v.2.007 it's not protected with a "*"...).
6. Disable inactivity lock and screensaver
7. Sync again using ActiveSync
8. Verify that inactivity lock hasn't been activated again, if so redo from pkt 5.
9. Reboot phone and install v.2.010 of ActiveSync (it will actually perform an upgrade).
10. You're done

Comment: I've been using ActiveSync since "day 1" with my W950i. The phone was shipped with CDA R4A01 and I did have some problems with ActiveSync in the beginning but I suspect this wasn't really related to the firmware version (I was experiencing some "KERN-EXEC" errors at start-up etc..). However I ended up performing a "Format Internal Drive" in order to TOTALLY reset the phone to factory default (it's much more "effective" then a master reset and it will most definetly blow away all your settings, themes, installed software etc...). After that I haven't had any problems. I'm now running the latest CDA R4B02 and it works just fine.

Last edited by superswede; 19-03-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Old 19-03-2007, 10:01 PM

slashandgrab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by superswede View Post
No, you're not missing something obvious.
My guess is that you're using version 2.010 of ActiveSync?
In this version it's not possible to kill the SyncScheduler as it now runs as protected system process (hence the "*"). It was probably considered a "bug" from v.2.007 since you by doing this could bypass the security setting in Exchange that enabled the inactivity lock...
You are absolutely right! I'm using 2.010 of ActiveSync. Thank you very much for this information and all the steps brilliant. One more question.. Where can I get version 2.007 from?? The SE site and the included CD only have 2.010. Thanks again !!

Old 20-03-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashandgrab View Post
You are absolutely right! I'm using 2.010 of ActiveSync. Thank you very much for this information and all the steps brilliant. One more question.. Where can I get version 2.007 from?? The SE site and the included CD only have 2.010. Thanks again !!
Drop me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you!

Old 21-06-2007, 03:36 PM

papa_k is on a distinguished road
Can anyone help me with this version as well?

Old 22-06-2007, 10:28 AM

papa_k is on a distinguished road
You must turn off both the screen saver and the lock else it seems to realise it needs to put the lock back on.
Ads

Old 22-06-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_k View Post
You must turn off both the screen saver and the lock else it seems to realise it needs to put the lock back on.
Yes, as I've written under pkt 6 in my reply above dated 19/3...