All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-03-2007, 12:59 PM

vak is on a distinguished road
Question is S60 really ready for seamless VoIP and data sync with open WiFi spots?

Hi

thank to FON activity the open WiFi spots are now everywhere, and
it forced me to buy E61, which seem to run under S60. But i don't realize any of my topmost goals are met. So, your comments and hints are very wanted and welcome.

My topmost goals -- which are all failed as for now at least -- for the purchase were:

0. Seamless VoIP with any open WiFi spot.
That is, if i dial near free WiFi then i expect my E61 software to detect automatically the presence of it and be able to make not a cell-network connection, but the VoIP one.
tried "FON WiFi" from Spotigo GmbH for detecting FON WiFi spots it doesn't seem to work good with standard la Fonera.
"fring" also doesn't work via la Fonera from FON.

1. Seamless and secure integration with Google Mail
i tried "Mobile Google Mail". it works, but it doesn't notify me about new
email on welcome screen or with LED :(
maybe i just need to setup some built-in S60 features?

2. Seamless and secure integration with Google Calendar
probably i could get it with goosync, but they have then access to my
google calendar... no way without it?

3. Seamless and secure instant messenger service (preferably Google Talk or ICQ)
tried MGTalk and GoTalkMobile. they doesn't work with open FON
WiFi spots, or it is rather my own inability?

The Nokia device itself seem to be more then good enough for these goals. The question is about software running on top of it.

Many thanks in advance for advices!

Sincerely,
Valery.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:24 PM

oculos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
Hi

thank to FON activity the open WiFi spots are now everywhere, and
it forced me to buy E61, which seem to run under S60. But i don't realize any of my topmost goals are met. So, your comments and hints are very wanted and welcome.

My topmost goals -- which are all failed as for now at least -- for the purchase were:

0. Seamless VoIP with any open WiFi spot.
That is, if i dial near free WiFi then i expect my E61 software to detect automatically the presence of it and be able to make not a cell-network connection, but the VoIP one.
tried "FON WiFi" from Spotigo GmbH for detecting FON WiFi spots it doesn't seem to work good with standard la Fonera.
"fring" also doesn't work via la Fonera from FON.
Dear Valery,

I think the phone is really ready for VoIP on a bussiness environment. You see, it's a shame that a single thing prevents the use of the phone for a broader audience: auto-connect to open hotspots. You have to create a profile for every hotspot you want to use, OR connect to one via ParkWiFi (you have this program, right?) and use the internet telephony program to connect through it. It's not automatic, and it's a pitty it is the way.

Other than this, if you use it on a fixed hotspot, that is, the one at your house, or the one at your work, it works great, and the voice quality is amazing - way better than any softphone.

Quote:
1. Seamless and secure integration with Google Mail
i tried "Mobile Google Mail". it works, but it doesn't notify me about new
email on welcome screen or with LED :(
maybe i just need to setup some built-in S60 features?
True - but that you can do! (I'd prefer the LED to work for SMS, however). This is how you can do:

1 - Set your E61 to retrieve your e-mail periodically.
2 - Set your Standby to show your Gmail folder on the "desktop"

Voilá! Whenever you get a new e-mail, it will turn on the LED AND will show it on the desktop!

Quote:
2. Seamless and secure integration with Google Calendar
probably i could get it with goosync, but they have then access to my
google calendar... no way without it?
This is a tough one, as I don't use Google Calendar - I use Apple's iCal instead, and it works beautifully with it!

Quote:
3. Seamless and secure instant messenger service (preferably Google Talk or ICQ)
tried MGTalk and GoTalkMobile. they doesn't work with open FON
WiFi spots, or it is rather my own inability?
Fring does it for me for basic IM, but Agilent Messenger works fine as well, including file transfers! Have you checked it?

Actually, I believe E61 has a lot to evolve, but it's one of the best ideas of a smartphone I've ever seen - it works great, and it could work even better if Nokia had a better idea of what users would like to do with it.

Cheers,

Francis

Old 11-03-2007, 01:07 PM

Dear Francis, many thanks for your detailed answers, today i will go them through and will be back with my comments.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oculos View Post
... OR connect to one via ParkWiFi (you have this program, right?)
there is no bundle for E61. there are bundles for N80, N91 and two bundles for Nokia 770. but google says ppl seem to use wifiparker with E61. the question is which bundle?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
there is no bundle for E61. there are bundles for N80, N91 and two bundles for Nokia 770. but google says ppl seem to use wifiparker with E61. the question is which bundle?
Er... Have you tried to install it from the Catalog application? I think that was how I installed mine, but it was sometime ago...

Old 11-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Er... Have you tried to install it from the Catalog application? I think that was how I installed mine, but it was sometime ago...

Get the one for N80 or N91, it will work - i believe that's how i installed mine.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:18 PM

a short update: just tried my public SSID from "la Fonera" router through WLAN-USB from my PC. web surfing, google chat and skyping seem to work good. that is, the connection troubles i have are really associated with my E61 and/or how i use it.

Old 13-03-2007, 03:04 AM

jaydisc is on a distinguished road
The Internet Telephony application with version 3.x of the E61 firmware saves you from needing ParkWiFi or creating a profile per HotSpot.

However, I think the public HotSpots preclude such an activity. They all have some basic web page you have to get through before they let your device route traffic. However, if you were to open Web, try to go to Google (or anything per se), Search for WLAN, choose the open hotspot, get past the login or hello page, and THEN launch Internet Telephony, you should be OK.

I haven't been able to find any SECURE IM products, which saddens me. I THINK Agile routes you through its own servers as proxy, which is even LESS secure.

Old 13-03-2007, 07:10 AM

oculos, ParkWifi for N91 seem to be with much bigger screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
The Internet Telephony application with version 3.x of the E61 firmware saves you from needing ParkWiFi or creating a profile per HotSpot.
jaydisc, i went my E61 hundred times through but saw no "Internet Telephony application". where it is and how could i check its version?

i start to believe that there are some different editions/branding, where even the very basic features work different. for example sometimes i see idiom "E61 Internet edition". hm, not sure if my is an "internet edition" one.

another point: my E61 is not simlocled or netlocked but was branded from T-Mobile. maybe some artifacts are expected just because of this?..

BTW, on Nokia's E61 software page (europe.nokia.com/A4162071) we see two (quite expensive) connectivity suites. i hope it is not a sign that build in connectivity is not OK...

Old 13-03-2007, 07:17 AM

UPD:

N91 doesn't seem to have a larger screen:
Code:
Display size	
Nokia E61:                  320x240 pixels 	
Nokia N80 Internet Edition: 352x416 pixels	
Nokia N91:                  176x208 pixels
but the park cast screen layout is messed up :-/

Old 13-03-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Well, not really, at least not if you want it to connect automatically to an open hotspot...

Quote:
I haven't been able to find any SECURE IM products, which saddens me. I THINK Agile routes you through its own servers as proxy, which is even LESS secure.
Microsoft has its own MSN for Symbian - I'd assume it connects directly.

Quote:
oculos, ParkWifi for N91 seem to be with much bigger screen
Not really, as you said...

Quote:
jaydisc, i went my E61 hundred times through but saw no "Internet Telephony application". where it is and how could i check its version?
It's under "Installations" - here it's the first app there...

Quote:
i start to believe that there are some different editions/branding, where even the very basic features work different. for example sometimes i see idiom "E61 Internet edition". hm, not sure if my is an "internet edition" one.
I don't think so, but who knows? You could always hack it and get it using a default firmware, but that's kinda risky.

Quote:
BTW, on Nokia's E61 software page (europe.nokia.com/A4162071) we see two (quite expensive) connectivity suites. i hope it is not a sign that build in connectivity is not OK...
Er... I never used Nokia's connectivity stuff (I use a Mac), but I never needed them anyway...

Old 13-03-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
It's under "Installations" - here it's the first app there...
then in my case it is definitely not here. yet. trying to find it, but it doesn't look easy. if it is a part of firmware then -- too bad for me...
Ads

Old 13-03-2007, 03:26 PM

jaydisc is on a distinguished road
I've shuffled my apps all around and can't remember where they originated, but here's a screenshot of the icon (note that its name is abbreviated to "Internet Tel." and it's interface.

Val, why don't you do a firmware version check for us. On the standby screen, enter *#0000# and let us know the result.

Regarding ParkWiFi, I was unaware of its ability to auto-connect you to Hotspots, but regardlessly whether it can or cannot, it's not going to register you with your VoIP provider. Internet Telephony is still quite necessary for that. And since Internet Telephony can connect you to the hotspot, Park WiFI still seems to me to be a wasted app. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love to streamline that process as well.

Old 13-03-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Regarding ParkWiFi, I was unaware of its ability to auto-connect you to Hotspots, but regardlessly whether it can or cannot, it's not going to register you with your VoIP provider. Internet Telephony is still quite necessary for that. And since Internet Telephony can connect you to the hotspot, Park WiFI still seems to me to be a wasted app. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love to streamline that process as well.
Oh, no - I meant by suggesting ParkWiFi in order to find hotspots, not meaning that Internet Tel. would automatically use it to connect to an available hotspot. But it seems to me that ParkWiFi is necessary to connect to an access point whose profile you don't have on your phone - or can Internet Tel. do that by itself, even if not automatically?

The biggest prob with Internet Tel. is that the damn thing should connect to whichever access point the phone itself is connected! Other than that, you have to create a profile for each access point OR make it connect manually to an ap you're connected to.

Cheers!